It is increasingly common to see exotic plants and products in our pantries, effects that, thanks to globalization, we can have anywhere in the world at any time of the year. Yam is one of these products that has come out strong, although it has been used for centuries in traditional Chinese medicine and Native Americans.
The medicinal properties of Yam are countless, so it has been used in the kitchen for many generations. This tuber is not only capable of healing and treating some health ailments, but it also has an exceptional flavor that gives it a unique taste and a special touch to meals.
In the following FastlyHealarticle, we will talk about Yam: medicinal properties and contraindications so you can discover everything that this great plant can bring you.
If yams are so beneficial to our health, they are highly nutritious and provide our bodies with some of the essential vitamins and nutrients to stay active and healthy. Here we explain why Yam is so beneficial for our health:
- It is very rich in complex carbohydrates, and thanks to this, they offer us a great energy source for a long time since it delivers energy in a staggered way. In this way, the speed at which the bloodstream absorbs sugars slows down, which is of great help in preventing and treating diabetes.
- In addition to carbohydrates, another element that we find in abundance in yams is fiber. This element is essential to regulate our intestinal transit, improve mobility, and avoid constipation. All this added reduces cholesterol in the intestines, which has a positive effect on cardiovascular health in general.
- Yam is also very rich in manganese, a mineral that metabolizes carbohydrates, being decisive in the production of energy and stimulation of antioxidants. The intake of this food provides protection and power to the general health of the body.
Yam medicinal properties
Below we will explain all the medicinal properties of Yam as well as the main conditions and diseases that this tuber can treat:
- Yam has been used in traditional medicine as a stimulator of the female endocrine system; its use has focused on two particular conditions: menstruation and menopause.
- The benefits of Yam for menstruation are also because this tuber is a natural antispasmodic that relaxes muscles and relieves cramps.
- Its anti-inflammatory properties are potent; it is used to remedy colic, rheumatism, asthma, and gastritis.
- Yam is a powerful cleaner of toxins from the body; taking it regularly will help you purify your blood.
- Its effect on the lymphatic system makes Yam strengthen and revitalizes the immune system.
- Yam is a stimulator of the renal system; its diuretic properties can be beneficial in cases of fluid retention.
- Among its properties, we have an anticoagulant effect in the blood that prevents clots caused by trauma. In addition, it accelerates wound healing and helps treat diseases such as arthritis and gout.
- The high fiber present in yams makes it an excellent remedy against constipation.
- Because the fiber that Yam contains is very satiating, it can be of great help in a diet to lose weight.
For healthy people, Yam should not produce any side effects, however, and like any other product, it should be taken with medication. An excess in the daily dose of Yam could cause vomiting and diarrhea, so it is recommended to consult with your doctor about how much you can take.
However, some conditions are contraindicated with the intake of the yam plant:
- Since the effects of this plant on lactation and pregnancy are unknown, it is advisable to refrain from taking it in these circumstances.
- It is also contraindicated for those who have some sensitivity to estrogens as specific components in this tuber can act in the body similar to what this hormone does. Among the diseases for which yam intake is contraindicated are breast and uterine cancer, endometriosis, protein S deficiency, or fibroids.
This article is merely informative, at FastlyHeal .com we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Yam: medicinal properties and contraindications , we recommend that you enter our Food category .
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.