When we think about taking care of our respiratory system, we usually remember quitting smoking, avoiding pollution, protecting ourselves from the cold and drafts with scarves or handkerchiefs, exercising, and following a healthy lifestyle.
Although all this is essential, we often forget that we also have great allies in certain foods to take care of our respiratory system, which is healthy for everyone but especially for those who have their weakest point in the throat and lungs when it comes to diseases. The foods that will help us improve the lungs and protect the entire respiratory system are citrus fruits, honey, onion, garlic, and some more.
- Citrus: Any of them ( orange, lemon, grapefruit, tangerine, etc. ), thanks to its vitamin C content, will help us strengthen our defenses, thus reducing the risk of respiratory infections.
- Radishes are very rich in sulfur compounds that help clear mucus from the bronchial tubes. On the other hand, its folate content also strengthens our immune system, enhancing the effect of citrus fruits.
Garlic and onion
- Garlic: Among its components, we can find aniline, a product that gives it antiseptic, bactericidal, and cleansing properties, which exerts an antiexpetorant action and helps reduce inflammation of the airways.
- Onion: Everyone knows the trick of putting half an onion next to or under the bed at night to relieve a cough. The reason for this is that thanks to its components, it improves the mucolytic activity of the mucous membranes and reduces their inflammation, thus helping to improve breathing in the case of asthma. This and garlic are especially useful in suffering from bronchitis, flu, or cough.
- Honey: It is another natural antiseptic that helps us soften the throat and eliminate the irritation that causes coughing. It can also alleviate allergy symptoms in spring.
- Nuts: The vitamin E in nuts can help open the airways and reduce inflammation. Vitamin E is a powerful antioxidant for the immune system that helps protect and repair damaged lung tissue and aids in the formation of red blood cells, which increases oxygen in the body.
- Carrots and other red, orange, and yellow fruits and vegetables contain beta-carotene, which can decrease asthma. Your body converts beta-carotene into vitamin A, which is an essential nutrient. Beta-carotene also has antioxidant properties that can help prevent cell damage.
- Papaya, collard greens, and cantaloupe – are high in vitamin A and can help repair the lungs.
This article is merely informative. At FastlyHeal .com, we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor if you present any condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Good foods to take care of the respiratory system and the lung, we recommend that you enter our Food category.
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.