The kidneys are two bean-shaped organs about the size of a fist. A person’s kidneys have the task of processing 190 liters of blood and then eliminating more than 2 liters of toxins and water. This purification carried out by the kidneys gives rise to urine, which travels to the bladder and is stored there until it is released when urinating.
Leading a fast pace of life facilitates excesses: consumption of stimulating substances such as alcoholic beverages and coffee, intake of foods rich in fat, little physical activity, and few healthy meals. These abuses generate in the body and accumulation of waste and toxins, which in the case of the kidneys, compromise their function of filtering these toxins that can cause so much damage to the body.
What do toxins do to the kidneys? When there is a significant accumulation of toxins in the body, the kidneys accumulate the load of waste that they must filter and begin to work more slowly, increasing the risk of suffering from stones, stones, tumors, and kidney failure . Cleaning the kidneys is very important for everyone’s health; that’s why in this FastlyHealarticle, we offer you a list of foods to detoxify the kidneys.
Table of Contents
When should the kidneys be detoxified?
There is no way to know that the kidneys are loaded with toxins, and their function is slower due to the accumulation of waste. Although the type of life that the person leads, the drinks they eat, the foods they eat, and the amount of physical activity they exercise can indicate how loaded the body is with toxins, there is no sure way to confirm that the kidneys must be detoxified.
However, in general, when a person needs to clean the kidneys, they have some warning signs:
- Have high creatinine values.
- If the person has kidney stones.
- Liquid retention.
- Kidney infections
- If the person has type 2 diabetes.
- Abdominal pain
Detoxifying the kidneys should not be an action that is taken lightly; it should be a procedure recommended by a medical specialist who will give the cleaning guidelines and offer a diet, possibly liquid, to purify the kidneys of toxins according to the individual needs of each person. Likewise, for a kidney cleanse to be effective, it is recommended to reduce the consumption of proteins, dairy products, coffee, alcoholic beverages, and chocolate since they increase uric acid.
Foods to detoxify the kidneys: Diuretic infusions
Depending on their composition, some infusions have the property of being diuretic, which is why they help stimulate kidney function and prevent fluid retention, allowing the body to more easily rid itself of accumulated toxins. Some of the best diuretic infusions to detoxify the kidneys are:
- Dandelion infusion: stimulates kidney function. You can prepare a diuretic dandelion infusion by cooking a teaspoon of dandelion in a cup of boiling water for three minutes. Then remove the information from the heat, let it rest for 5 minutes, and swallow.
- Infusion of parsley: this plant is of great help in treating kidney stones and detoxifying the kidney. To prepare this diuretic infusion, cook a sprig of parsley in a cup of boiling water for five minutes. Then let it rest for five minutes, strain, and consume. Pregnant women should refrain from taking this infusion as this herb is considered abortifacient.
- Anise infusion . In addition to relieving stomach aches, anise also helps detoxify the kidneys—Cook in a cup of boiling water a tablespoon of anise for 5 minutes. Let stand for five more minutes and then strain and swallow.
Fruits to cleanse the kidneys
Some fruits and vegetables are rich in potassium and help considerably cleanse the kidneys. They provide a lot of water to the body, stimulate urination, prevent fluid retention and purify toxins through the urine. Consuming these fruits helps the production of electrolytes in the blood, which are involved in kidney function. The recommended daily consumption of potassium per day is 5 grams; exceeding it is not healthy for health either. Let’s know the fruits to cleanse the kidneys :
- Watermelon . It is considered the best fruit to detoxify the kidneys due to a large amount of water it offers and its diuretic properties. Watermelon helps clean tissues and blood flow, helping to improve kidney function. Eating it fresh is the best way to ensure that the watermelon is toxin-free.
- Blueberries . They top the list of the best natural antioxidants and detoxifiers, as they have a decisive action to help the body release toxins and reverse the effect of free radicals. Consuming an excess of blueberries is not recommended in case of kidney stones unless otherwise indicated by a medical specialist.
- Apples . They are ideal for purifying the kidneys as they cause a diuretic effect in the body, which allows the body to release retained fluid and accumulated toxins through urine.
- Purple grapes . Purple grapes are composed of 80% water, so their consumption stimulates kidney function. In addition, purple grapes, like blueberries, are antioxidants and detoxifiers, so they come in handy for cleaning the kidneys.
To cleanse the kidneys, the best way to eat these diuretic fruits is to consume them raw and on an empty stomach, as in this way, they conserve all their nutrients, vitamins, and minerals, and the body absorbs them in a better way. You can also take advantage of the benefits of fruits to cleanse the kidneys by preparing juices, such as the ones we propose below.
Cleansing juices to detoxify the kidneys
The purifying juice to cleanse the kidneys are an excellent alternative for those who are not fond of eating fruits or unwilling to consume infusions. However, these juices should not be consumed in excess or too frequently, as they can affect kidney function. Therefore, the ideal is to consume them on an empty stomach and for three days in a row: no more!
Pineapple, beet, and blueberry juice
This juice to detoxify the kidneys contains two fruits with a powerful diuretic effect: pineapple and blueberries. The beet provides the antioxidant and toxin purifying effect. The result? An ideal juice to cleanse the kidneys and combat fluid retention.
- 2 slices of pineapple.
- 1 cup of blueberries.
- ½ beet previously parboiled and without a shell.
- 1 cup of watercress.
- 1 teaspoon of honey.
- 1 glass of water.
Add all the ingredients to the blender and process. If you wish, you can substitute the honey for saccharin or add a few drops of lemon.
The high content of beta-carotene in carrots makes it one of the best foods to detoxify the kidneys, as it helps combat fluid retention and is of great help in treating kidney stones.
- 1 glass of water.
- 1 carrot, peeled.
- The juice of half a lemon or half an orange.
Add all the ingredients to the blender and process. If you want, you can add saccharin to sweeten it.
Pineapple and parsley juice
We have already mentioned that pineapple and parsley are excellent foods for detoxifying the kidneys. In this case, we mix its diuretic, cleansing, and detoxifying functions in a potent juice to stimulate kidney function, release toxins and increase urination.
- 1 glass of water.
- 2 slices of pineapple.
- ½ cup of parsley.
Add all the ingredients to the blender and process. If you want you can add saccharin to improve the flavor of this purifying juice to detoxify the kidneys.
Other tips on foods to detox the kidneys
- Vital fluid . When you want to cleanse the kidneys, the most important thing is to consume two liters of water a day. Water is the best natural cleanser and the primary substance capable of guaranteeing kidney health and the optimal functioning of these organs.
- Diuretic vegetables . Among the foods to detoxify the kidneys, we must also incorporate vegetables such as broccoli, onion, artichoke, and watercress, which have excellent diuretic action in the body.
This article is merely informative, at FastlyHeal .com we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Foods to detoxify the kidneys , we recommend that you enter our Food category .
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.