The variety of uses that thyme has is proportional to the benefits it brings to our health. It has around 1,500 species and occurs in temperate regions of Europe, Asia and North Africa. Its use as an aromatic herb is very common in Mediterranean cuisine thanks to its intense smell and characteristic flavor; among the properties attributed to it are, its anti-inflammatory, antiseptic and expectorant power. In FastlyHealyou will know the benefits of thyme for health .
Table of Contents
Internal uses of thyme
The components of this plant, in addition to providing its smell, give thyme its therapeutic effects. Thyme can be used in different ways, either as an infusion or as an essential oil, and depending on the benefit we want to bring to our body, its uses are divided into internal and external. Regarding the internal uses of thyme we have:
- Stimulates digestion : opens the appetite and prevents the production of gas and flatulence. It also restores the functions of the liver if you have had a food poisoning or allergy.
- Anemia : its high iron content makes it an excellent natural remedy to treat anemia, you must combine it by eating a diet with foods rich in iron .
- Natural antibiotic : thyme is rich in thymol, which gives it bactericidal and fungicidal properties. It also works as an antiseptic as it helps fight respiratory infections, relieves sore throats, and can also be useful for treating sexually transmitted diseases such as gonorrhea.
- Stimulates blood flow : it has an emmenagogue active principle, which helps improve blood flow in the pelvic area and uterus, thus reducing menstrual pain and avoiding its side effects such as headache and fluid retention.
- Migraines : its effect on the circulatory system, allows migraine pains to decrease.
- Improves memory : its content of flavonoids and vitamin B3, favors the treatment of conditions related to lack of blood supply.
External use of thyme
As benefits of thyme for health in its external use we have the following:
- Rheumatic pain : its anti-inflammatory effect reduces muscle spasms, sprains, sports injuries and pain that triggers arthritis.
- Antiseptic : its composition of different phenols, restrains the growth of bacteria, can be used to treat minor wounds, burns and as a gargle to relieve a sore throat. Use it if you suffer from bad odor on your feet, this will prevent the bacteria that produce the bad smell from proliferating and prevents excess sweating.
- Oral problems : thyme is used to treat toothache naturally , as well as sores, bad breath and inflammation of the gums.
How to take thyme
The dried thyme should be prepared as an infusion by letting it boil between 1 and 3 minutes, depending on the ailment it will be more effective if you mix the thyme with other herbs, for this it is important to have the suggestions of the herbalist.
As for the thyme tincture, you should use between 50 and 70 drops up to three times a day, diluted in fruit juices or water. The liquid thyme extract should be applied up to three times a day between 30 and 40 drops. The thyme essential oil may be topically or through capsules, but it is advisable to use only on the skin, since ingestion may have side effects.
If you have any ailment, the ideal is that you visit your doctor before using these remedies, he will be able to give a more accurate diagnosis and provide you with some treatment options.
Home remedies with thyme
Here are some home remedies with thyme depending on the condition you have:
- For digestion : prepare an infusion with a teaspoon of thyme and a cup of water and drink it three times a day.
- As an antibiotic : make a syrup with a tablespoon of thyme, two of chamomile and boil in two liters of water until it is reduced, you can sweeten it and take three tablespoons a day.
- For migraines : prepare an infusion with a cup of water and add a teaspoon of dried thyme, linden and lemon balm flowers. Let stand and drink it.
- For muscle aches : mix 10 drops of thyme essential oil and two tablespoons of olive oil , fill the bathtub and add 20 drops to the water. Take a bath for 20 minutes.
- Bad foot odor : place 10 grams of dried thyme in a liter of water and let it boil for 15 minutes. Wash your feet with this warm infusion, rinse with cold water, dry them well and add talcum powder.
- Mouthwash : make an infusion loaded with a few branches of thyme and add a tablespoon of vinegar and a tablespoon of salt, strain it and use it as a mouthwash to treat inflammation of the gums.
In normal doses, thyme does not cause any side effects, however, care must be taken with the use of thyme essential oil , as it can cause hypothyroidism and intoxication. This oil is contraindicated for pregnant women and people with heart problems and ulcers.
This article is merely informative, at FastlyHeal .com we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Health benefits of thyme , we recommend that you enter our Wellbeing category .
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.