Dehydrated fruit is the result of the evaporation of water from fresh fruit by dehydrating it, which results in a dried fruit , smaller in size but with a higher concentration of nutrients and calories. The dehydration treatment of fruits seeks to preserve their color and is carried out through substances such as vitamin C, sulfur or sulfite, which is why the consumption of these fruits is not recommended in asthmatic people .
Dehydrated fruits generate a lot of controversy in terms of their caloric intake, there are people who say they gain weight and others who say that their consumption does not affect body weight but rather helps fat loss . However, as always, everything varies depending on the person and their lifestyle. To clarify this uncertainty, in this FastlyHealarticle we will give an answer to ” Does dehydrated fruit make you fat?” .
Table of Contents
What does dehydrated fruit contain
As we explained previously, these fruits are the result of the dehydration of fresh fruit, but do they have the same nutritional content? Well no. The process of evaporation of water from fresh fruit results in a food that concentrates the nutrients, so eating ½ cup of dried fruit is equivalent to 1 cup of fresh fruit .
Why is dried fruit thought to be fattening?
Very simple, because just as the nutrients are concentrated, the calories and carbohydrates of fresh fruit are also concentrated, so ½ cup of dehydrated fruit contains twice as many carbohydrates as a cup of fresh fruit .
However, dehydrated fruit is a very rich source of vitamins and minerals that, if consumed in a healthy diet, can be of great help for energy and well-being of the body. However, it should be noted that during the dehydration process, fresh fruit loses around 20% of its vitamin A and vitamin C content, but it does retain its vitamin B content intact.
However, in terms of essential mineral content, the opposite is true. These remain 100% after dehydration, so it can be assured that dehydrated fruits are a rich source of iron, potassium, magnesium and zinc. Of course, the amount of minerals varies depending on the fruit. So, does dried fruit make you fat? Let’s see next.
Does dehydrated fruit make you fat?
There is no affirmative or negative answer , the best answer is: it depends! And it is that yes, it all depends on the lifestyle and habits of the person who consumes dehydrated fruit. Therefore:
Dried fruit is NOT fattening if :
- They eat a balanced diet rich in vegetables, proteins and healthy fats.
- A routine of cardiovascular exercise and weights is performed at least five times a week .
- It is consumed moderately to receive its nutritional contributions and not as a free consumption food to snack or calm anxiety .
- It is eaten in the recommended portions.
Dried fruit makes you fat if:
- It is eaten excessively and is completely replaced by fresh fruit.
- You do not eat a balanced diet, you eat a lot of fats and simple carbohydrates.
- You have insulin resistance or diabetes.
- No type of exercise is practiced.
- It is combined with other carbohydrates.
Although dehydrated fruit is an excellent source of energy for those who perform resistance activities, it can be a great enemy for those who want to lose weight , since its high calorie and carbohydrate content will not allow the burning of fat, all this not to mention that some dehydrated fruits contain added sugar , in addition to twice the fructose content of fresh fruit.
Calories from dehydrated fruits
- Apple : of the dehydrated fruits it is the one that offers the least amount of calories: ¼ cup without sugar contains: 52 calories, 2 grams of fiber and 5% of the recommended value of potassium.
- Peaches, apricots, or peaches : ¼ cup contains 78 calories, 2 grams of fiber, and 5% of the recommended amount of potassium, iron, and vitamin A.
- Plums : best eaten in the morning, ¼ cup offers 104 calories, 3 grams of fiber and 29% of the recommended dose of vitamin K.
Fresh fruit and dehydrated fruit, which is better?
- Dried fruits contain the same nutrients as fresh fruits, except for vitamin C, which is lost in the evaporation process. In addition, they usually contain added ingredients that make them rich in calories . Fresh fruits preserve vitamin C, which is a very powerful natural antioxidant for the body to reverse the effect of free radicals in cells. Therefore, in terms of nutrients, it is better to choose fresh fruits.
- If stored in a cool place without light, dehydrated fruits can last up to six months . Fresh fruits cannot be kept for long because they rot. By conservation, dehydrated fruits win.
- Dried fruit provides more calories because its nutrients are concentrated, but its small size makes you want to eat more than necessary, receiving up to twice the calories of a fresh fruit for a small amount. 100 grams of dried apple is equal to 4 apples . Therefore, if you are looking to gain weight in a healthy and nutritious way, dehydrated fruits are the best option. If you are looking to eat healthy and lose weight, the best option is fresh fruits.
This article is merely informative, at FastlyHeal .com we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Does dehydrated fruit make you fat? We recommend that you enter our Food category .
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.