Chia is a plant that, like flax , has a high concentration of fatty acids and is preferably grown in light soils, but not too humid. Chia seeds are a versatile food that has more and more followers not only for their nutritional contribution but also for their medicinal properties. It is mainly composed of soluble fiber, which prevents the transformation of carbohydrates into simple sugars, allowing this metabolic process to play in favor of our body. At FastlyHealwe show you the benefits of chia .
Omega 3 contribution
One of the benefits of chia seeds is its contribution of omega 3 fatty acids , which is an ally to prevent cardiovascular diseases. The anti-inflammatory and antithrombotic effect of omega 3 allows to preserve the good condition of the blood vessels. Additionally, its fiber content helps reduce cholesterol ; including this seed in your daily diet, along with a healthy lifestyle, will reduce the chances of suffering from hypertension and other associated diseases.
High in fiber
Its soluble fiber content forms a gel, when the seed is dissolved in water, in this way it is suitable to stimulate intestinal movements, and treat constipation , it also reduces the absorption of digestive juices from the gallbladder, which are high in cholesterol. It also helps keep the intestines clean, which is ideal for preventing colon disease and lowering blood glucose levels .
Chia to lose weight
Another benefit of chia is that it is associated with weight loss, thanks to the feeling of fullness, which will help you eat smaller amounts and absorb carbohydrates more slowly, which will allow you to avoid having craving for sweets . Remember that it is not a miracle food and that a balanced diet must be accompanied by physical exercise.
Its protein content makes chia seeds a good complement for vegetarian diets , it is also recommended to repair tissues and strengthen muscles in athletes. It is a suitable food for coeliacs, since it does not contain gluten .
Chia seeds are rich in potassium, iron, phosphorus, magnesium and zinc, vitamins A, B and E that are essential for the development of muscles and tissue. For this reason it works as a natural antioxidant , allowing the elimination of free radicals from our body and preventing premature aging.
Chia seeds can be eaten roasted and ground or incorporated into the preparation of breads, salads or desserts. To take full advantage of its benefits, it is ideal that you put them to soak, and that you consume 1 tablespoon a day . Here are some recipes with chia so you can start using them in your diet.
- Chia crepes : mix 1 egg, 1 egg white, ½ cup of almond milk, ½ cup of oatmeal, 1 teaspoon of coconut or canola oil, 1 teaspoon of vanilla and 2 sachets of sweetener in the blender. When the mixture is ready, add ¼ cup of chia seeds , they will absorb the mixture and your crepes will be fluffier. Place a small, thin portion of the mixture in a nonstick skillet, flip it over to cook on both sides.
- Jamaica water and chia : in a pot place 4 cups of water, 2 cinnamon sticks, when the water is boiling, turn it off and put a handful of dried hibiscus flowers, until the water has cooled a bit. Add 1 tablespoon of vanilla, sweetener or sugar, and lemon to taste. Serve it and put 1 tablespoon of chia seeds in the drink, let them soak for a while and drink it.
- Tuna croquettes with chia : in a bowl mix 3 cans of tuna in water (do not drain completely), 3 tablespoons of chia seeds, parsley, salt and pepper to taste. Make the croquettes and heat a non-stick pan, add a little oil and place the croquettes. Since the mixture is egg-free, it will take a while for them to brown and compact. Cook them on the other side and serve.
- Chia pudding : place in a bowl ¼ cup of chia seeds, 2 cups of soy or rice milk and ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract, shake the entire mixture well and leave it covered in the refrigerator for one night, this shape the flavors will blend. Take the bowl out of the fridge, you can add nuts like walnuts or almonds or even natural fruits like strawberries, banana or blueberries. Decorate your pudding with cinnamon powder.
Chia seeds contraindications
It is clear that its nutritional contribution and for our body is very good, however there may be some contraindications regarding its use:
- If you take medication for hypertension , it is preferable that you refrain from consuming these seeds, since they tend to cause a decrease in blood pressure.
- The chia seeds are contraindicated in people taking anticoagulants, as they enhance the effect of drugs, allowing the emergence of hematomas.Igualmente for people who take aspirin daily.
- If you have diverticulosis, do not eat chia since its high fiber content is not recommended for these cases.
- Chia seeds lower blood glucose, which is a benefit if you suffer from diabetes , however they can increase the effect of the medicine and make your sugar drop too low.
- If you have had surgery on the digestive system or if you have diarrhea.
This article is merely informative, at FastlyHeal .com we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Benefits of chia seeds , we recommend that you enter our Food category .
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.