The legs tired or heaviness is the most common symptom of poor circulation, medically known as venous insufficiency, mostly affects women. Tired legs are not the only symptom, there may also be localized or generalized pain, the appearance of varicose veins and spider veins, cramps and tingling. If your legs feel very tired, at FastlyHealwe explain what are the causes and treatment for this annoying sensation.
Why do my legs feel tired?
When the valves in the veins have trouble returning blood from the legs to the heart, and the walls of the veins are weak, it allows the veins to fill with blood, especially when you are standing, causing the feeling of tiredness and heaviness.
This is the main cause that your legs feel tired , on the other hand there are also risk factors for venous insufficiency to manifest itself and first of all, being a woman, this is due to related hormonal disorders, most of the time , with progesterone levels. Similarly, age, pregnancy, obesity, family history or thrombosis, and spending a lot of time standing or sitting affect circulation.
On the other hand, medications such as birth control, antidepressants, or blood pressure treatments can cause fluid retention and slow circulation. Also thyroid problems, liver and heart failure and allergies or inflammations impair the proper circulation of blood flow and cause fatigue in the legs.
Treatment for tired legs
Depending on the severity of the condition, the doctor will indicate the treatment to follow. In case of mild venous insufficiency , the use of rest stockings to reduce swelling will be an option, in addition to making changes in your daily habits.
If the problem turns out to be more serious, treatment can be based on the following options:
- Ablation : this technique will try to destroy the vein through heat and over time it will disappear.
- Sclerotherapy : saline solution or a chemical substance is injected into the vein, so that it hardens and disappears.
- Microfeblectomy : the vein is removed through small incisions, this technique is often used to treat larger veins and is minimally invasive.
- Angioplasty : the purpose of this procedure is to open the damaged or blocked vein, for this a small balloon is used that will widen the obstructed vein and improve circulation, then a metal mesh is inserted into the vein that will prevent it from turning to compress.
- Bypass : This surgery will redistribute blood flow in the blocked vein.
Unfortunately, the feeling of tired legs tends to get worse over time, but if detected early and treated by a doctor, the symptoms can be relieved and prevent them from getting worse. If your legs feel tired frequently, visit a cardiovascular doctor to identify the causes of your condition and begin with the appropriate treatment.
Recommendations to prevent tired legs
If your doctor has already ruled out that your tired legs condition is not serious, we give you some recommendations that can help improve your circulation:
- After a day of work, especially if you have been standing, lie down and put your legs up for 20 minutes, this will help them to decongest.
- Stay hydrated by drinking at least two liters of water a day and eat fruits that contain vitamin C and E such as oranges, blueberries, apples and plums, it will prevent fluid retention and improve the feeling of heaviness.
- Avoid sugary drinks, sodas, and processed juices.
- Reduce your salt intake.
- Eat vegetables and leafy greens and foods high in fiber .
- Prepare an aloe vera gel for your tired legs, mixing 2 tablespoons of it together with 5 drops of cypress essential oil, 5 of peppermint essential oil and 5 of lemon, in that order. Prepare the mixture in a glass container where you can later refrigerate it, put it in the fridge overnight and apply it on your legs with an upward massage. Let it act for 10 minutes and rinse with fresh water.
This article is merely informative, at FastlyHeal .com we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to My legs feel very tired: causes and treatments , we recommend that you enter our category of Blood, heart and circulation .
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.