On numerous occasions, women take a pregnancy test to determine whether or not they are expecting a child; However, in many situations, essential doubts about the effectiveness of fertility tests begin to arise. This may be because women often feel genuine pregnancy symptoms. Still, the test is negative, or the exact opposite can happen, and both situations tend to be more frequent than many imagine.
Even though current maternity tests are highly accurate if used correctly, certain situations can occur where the test result is wrong, mainly false negatives. However, in less common cases, they can give false positives. If you are going through any of these situations and wonder, ” why is the pregnancy test negative if I am pregnant? “, We advise you to continue reading the following FastlyHealarticle to obtain more information.
How the pregnancy test works
The pregnancy test has a detection mechanism that can be known whether there is a presence of the hormone human chorionic gonadotropin or HCG, which is secreted by cells of the placenta in early pregnancy.
The presence of HCG is an excellent indicator to know if, indeed, the woman is pregnant, and it can be found both in the urine and in the blood. At the same time, the increase in the presence of this hormone occurs very quickly as the days of gestation progress, so it would be more accessible and easier to check if a woman is expecting a child.
Currently, there are various maternity test options on the market, and the qualities are increasing. You can get a susceptible test that is effective in detecting even minimal levels of HCG in the urine; however, it is not exempt from failing in the results.
Why the pregnancy test is harmful if you are pregnant: false negatives
Cases of women who wonder why the pregnancy test is negative if I am pregnant are not rare. This result is considered a false negative when the pregnancy is confirmed with a second test when using other products or directly with the specialist through a blood test to know if there is pregnancy or not. An incorrect result may be because the presence of the HCG hormone is deficient and cannot be detected. Despite this, other errors cause a false negative, which are frequent, and which are detailed below:
- A dilute urine sample does not concentrate the necessary level of HCG to confirm pregnancy. This can be one of the most frequent causes for which the result is falsely negative, but there is pregnancy. To avoid this failure, it is recommended to use the first urine in the morning in the test since it has a higher concentration of HCG.
- When the pregnancy test is performed very early in pregnancy, the results may be false negatives. Many specialists advise completing the test after a delay in the period; if the effect is negative, but menstruation does not appear, it is not a reliable result, so the test should be repeated, allowing around six days. Find out when to do the pregnancy test in this other FastlyHealarticle.
- It can also happen that the product’s expiration date has already expired or that the pregnancy test is used is incorrect, so it could be negative even though the woman is pregnant. For this reason, the instructions contained in the package insert must be strictly followed. You have to get the correct part and expose this part for the necessary time with the woman’s urine, among other factors that should not be neglected. If you still have doubts, it is preferable to consult a specialist such as a pharmacist.
False positives from pregnancy tests
False positives are much less common than false negatives. However, certain factors can give a false positive on the pregnancy test; among them, the following stand out:
- There are specific pathologies in women, such as some types of cancer or trophoblastic pathologies.
- Women are suffering from hormonal disorders.
- Those who are receiving the hormone characteristic of pregnancy for pregnancy treatments.
- Test errors when it is too sensitive.
- In women with anembryonic pregnancies, the fertilized egg is implanted in the uterus wall. Still, the development of an embryo does not take place, which is why it is also known as pregnancy with an empty egg.
This article is merely informative, at FastlyHeal .com we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Why does the pregnancy test come out negative if I am pregnant, we recommend that you enter our Pregnancy and baby health category
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.