If you are pregnant you will know that there are many things that are said about pregnancies and the amount of popular wisdom that people comment on them. There are people who say that just by looking at the shape of your belly they can tell if you are pregnant with a boy or a girl, others who by the shine of your hair know if one or more babies will arrive, and many other questions that are said without one scientific theory behind.
Today, in this FastlyHealarticle we want to address another question regarding pregnancy, we will try to answer the following question: how to know if I am pregnant with twins or twins with an answer based on scientific and proven evidence.
Table of Contents
Twins or twins, is it the same?
The first thing we must answer when faced with this question is whether or not it is the same to have twins or twins and how they differ. The answer is no. Although in both cases two embryos have been fertilized, the method by which this has happened is different and therefore it will not be the same to have twins or twins .
So that we can understand it, twins are formed in the partition of an ovum that is fertilized by a single sperm (monozygotic), while twins are generated in the fertilization of two different ovules by two sperm (pluricygotic). This has to do with their gestation, but the existing changes not only go through that moment of fertilization, but are also visible in other areas.
Differences between twins or twins
The differences between twins and twins that we must know apart from the mode of formation of the fetus that we have already counted, are the following:
- Twins share the same DNA, while twins do not.
- This same DNA makes twins always have the same sex, however this rule cannot be extrapolated to twins since they have the possibility of having different sexes.
- Because they have exactly the same DNA, the twins will be physically very similar, while the twins do not have to look alike. They can resemble as much – or as little – as two brothers.
- Twins always go through a biamniotic gestation process, that is, each one has its own placenta that covers it, while twins may or may not be in the same placenta. If they develop in the same amniotic sac, they tend to be more similar, or almost identical, while those that develop in separate amniotic sacs tend to show more differences.
How do I know if I am pregnant with twins or twins?
Next, we present the reasons why you may think that you are facing a multiple pregnancy , either with twins or twins, since there are certain symptoms that are different or higher than in a single-limb pregnancy. To know if they are twins or twins, you should wait for the ultrasound that the gynecologist performs to indicate what situation we are in. Sometimes, with only the ultrasound, it will not be possible to know, since we may be dealing with twins, but in different amniotic sacs, which makes it difficult to know if they will be twins or twins.
The symptoms that may indicate that you are pregnant with twins or twins are the following:
- Very common morning sickness and dizziness : due to a higher level of bhGC, which is a hormone typical of pregnancy that can cause these symptoms when its presence in the body is very high. By having two fetuses inside these levels increase more.
- Much higher symptoms : go from feeling sick to food, cravings, breast swelling or dizziness. All symptoms can be experienced more intensely than in a single limb pregnancy.
- Bigger bellies than usual : the fact of having two fetuses inside produces a greater size in the physical appearance of the woman, which makes a bigger belly look for the weeks of gestation in which it is.
- Above Average Weight Gain : In the same way that your belly size increases, so will your weight. Although the fetus is very small, the amount of liquids that surround it make the woman’s weight increase significantly. In the case of having two fetuses, the increase will be even greater.
- Early growing uterus : The increase in the size of the uterus occurs earlier than in a typical pregnancy. This can produce the sensation of having small contractions that are common and common since the uterus needs to enlarge to later be able to accommodate the infant that will come out. The uterus will enlarge more and that is why it begins to carry out this process earlier.
- Tiredness and high drowsiness : lack of energy, common and habitual tiredness, lack of desire to do anything. This is due to the fact that the bodily effort involved in producing two babies is much higher than when generating only one.
- Early fetal movements : if from 14 weeks you already begin to notice many movements in the fetus, especially kicks, you may be facing a multiple pregnancy, since the space that the fetuses have to develop is less and they increase their mobility to position yourself in that space.
- Changes in the respiratory system : due to the increase in size of the uterus and the growth of the fetuses, the diaphragm is pushed up significantly and lung capacity is clearly reduced. This will lead to situations of greater fatigue and respiratory distress.
- Increased heart rate : naturally the heart accelerates in a remarkable way already in the first trimester of pregnancy. This event can be confused with palpitations, but they are not, they are natural physiological tachycardias and necessary for proper functioning.
- Increased salivation : this happens because an early movement occurs in the intestinal system, caused by the growth of the uterus and the movement of the diaphragm that relaxes the inner esophageal sphincters and produces a greater reflux of saliva, it can cause burning and even vomiting.
To make sure you are facing a multiple pregnancy, we advise you to visit your doctor and perform the appropriate tests to find out about your case. They can be a blood test, ultrasound or other tests that your doctor considers appropriate.
We remind you of the importance of carrying out a medical follow-up of your pregnancy to ensure that everything goes smoothly and correctly. That will give you security, facilitate good growth and anticipate the solution of problems that may occur in pregnancy.
This article is merely informative, at FastlyHeal .com we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to How to know if I am pregnant with twins or twins , we recommend that you enter our Pregnancy and baby health category .
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.