Pregnancy is full of hormonal, physical and emotional changes that are within normality. Stomach pain and diarrhea can occur in pregnancy as a symptom of any bodily response, such as poor digestion. This is usually aggravated only if you have severe abdominal pain, fever, and blood in your bowel movements.
The first trimester of pregnancy presents within its common characteristics diarrheal evacuations, a change in the number of evacuations and the characteristics of the stool defines the term diarrhea. At FastlyHealwe will talk to you about whether it is normal to have stomach pain and diarrhea in pregnancy and when to consult a specialist. Continue reading this article!
Cramps and diarrhea in pregnancy
Abdominal pain and diarrhea that occur in pregnancy are not usually serious unless accompanied by severe pain, fever, and blood in bowel movements .
A common situation is that diarrhea accompanies the woman during the 40 weeks of pregnancy and is also considered a symptom of pregnancy.
The diarrhea is a symptom, but is not a disease  , it is also defined as an increase in the liquid content of the stools or stool and increased frequency occurring evacuations (more than 3 times a day).
Causes of diarrhea in pregnancy
In addition to the changes inherent to pregnancy, diarrhea during pregnancy is triggered by any situation such as viruses, bacteria, lactose intolerance and ingestion of spoiled food. Various causes that can manifest abdominal pain and diarrhea in pregnancy can also be listed :
- Hormonal changes typical of pregnancy: pregnancy hormones directly affect the gastrointestinal system, in this case it does not represent a serious problem for the baby or the mother. Any affectation in the digestive system can trigger symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, constipation and diarrhea.
- Diet modification : this may represent another common cause for abdominal pain and diarrhea during pregnancy. Normally, the pregnant woman changes the diet for a healthier one, including fruits and vegetables in a greater proportion that can trigger diarrhea during pregnancy.
- Prenatal drug intake : supplements used during pregnancy can cause certain changes in the gastrointestinal system, frequently this happens after the intake of multivitamins.
- The consumption of any food contaminated by viruses or bacteria can cause poisoning, bringing with it irritable bowel problems causing in turn liquid or pasty stools during pregnancy.
Diarrhea in pregnancy: when is it dangerous?
It is essential to visit the doctor in the event that diarrhea is accompanied by other symptoms such as:
- Severe abdominal pain
Although diarrhea is common during pregnancy, the fact of the risks it represents for the woman cannot be ignored if the symptoms described are manifested, and dehydration may occur, putting the life of the fetus at risk, it is important that from the first moment in If gastrointestinal changes are evident in pregnancy, the specialist doctor is alert to any situation.
What to do to avoid abdominal pain and diarrhea in pregnancy
Unquestionably, diarrhea is a common symptom in pregnancy, however, despite this being the case, it is important to take into account the diet that is carried during pregnancy. A good diet during pregnancy should take into account the following aspects :
- Providing a balanced diet for both the mother and the fetus.
- You should avoid large meals, it is not necessary to believe the myth of eating for two but you should eat healthy.
- To prevent abdominal pain, it is also important to avoid fat and maintain proper hygiene of all foods that are consumed.
Tips for abdominal pain and diarrhea during pregnancy
Once the first symptoms of pregnancy appear, it is important to take into account certain tips :
- In the presence of abdominal pain and diarrhea, increase your fluid intake to avoid dehydration .
- Decrease the amount of foods that are rich in fiber, such as grains, raw fruits and vegetables, as these stimulate the gastrointestinal system to increase the number of bowel movements. On the other hand, foods such as banana, rice, applesauce, yogurt, and proteins such as chicken, beef, and pork should be included  .
- The pregnant woman should take into account to take into account the rest time that is necessary during the day, also avoiding high intensity physical efforts .
- Finally, it is important not to take any drug without a prescription and without the prior evaluation of the specialist.
A well-informed person will know which are the ideal methods to take care of their health, pregnancy is a normal condition that comes full of endless hormonal, physical and psychological changes that women must face, abdominal pain and diarrhea are included in this list. It is worth being aware of any unusual changes and visiting the doctor frequently to avoid risks and complications.
This article is merely informative, at FastlyHeal .com we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Is it normal to have stomach pain and diarrhea in pregnancy? , we recommend that you enter our Pregnancy and baby health category
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.