Nausea and vomiting are among the most common symptoms in pregnant women and can occur on any day. Although they are most common during the first trimester of pregnancy, some women experience nausea throughout their pregnancy. Sickness does not affect the baby, nor does it suggest how the woman will feel in future pregnancies.
However, they are a rather annoying symptom that interferes with the quality of daily life of the pregnant woman, affecting the appetite, causing rejection of certain foods, and causing general discomfort that makes it difficult to carry out everyday tasks naturally. During pregnancy, the woman has restricted the consumption of most medications; it is necessary to look for homemade alternatives that help calm this condition; for that reason, in this FastlyHealarticle, we present some home remedies to relieve nausea during pregnancy.
Why does nausea occur in pregnancy?
Nausea in pregnancy is the product of specific processes that co-occur in the woman’s body during pregnancy, producing this unpleasant symptom. Between 30 and 50% of pregnant women with nausea experience vomiting, which needs to be treated as it can lead to loss of body weight and decrease the number of nutrients the fetus receives.
But, what processes are those that cause this condition? Mainly the excessive release of hormones that occurs when the woman is in a state, specifically the hormones progesterone and human chorionic gonadotropin; the latter increases considerably during the first three months of pregnancy and not by chance usually coincides in the body with the appearance of nausea. In addition, studies have determined that stress and psychological factors are also associated with the presence of vomiting in pregnant women.
It is proven: that nausea in pregnancy can worsen when the pregnancy is multiple. Is it your case? To know the home remedies to relieve nausea in pregnancy .
Foods that improve this condition
Although nausea can cause food refusal and suppress appetite, many foods are of great help to improve this symptom and cause considerable well-being. Some of them are:
- Soda cookies or crackers. The ideal is to consume them in the morning on an empty stomach; even experts recommend ingesting them before getting out of bed on an empty stomach.
- Peanut butter. It turns out that this butter is rich in protein and carbohydrates that help reduce nausea during pregnancy.
- Apple. If it is accompanied by peanut butter, the effect is even more powerful. It is also rich in vitamins, nutrients, carbohydrates, and proteins that relieve discomfort.
- Gelatin. This food relaxes the stomach and reduces nausea in pregnancy.
At the same time, it is essential to avoid foods rich in salt, fat, sausages, and processed foods, which will increase the discomfort, exacerbating the pain.
Home remedies to alleviate this symptom
It is fully proven that ginger acts as a digestive pain reliever and considerably alleviates the discomfort of nausea in pregnancy. Preparing a ginger tea is very simple; you only need ginger root, water, honey, and lemon.
Preparation: boil two cups of water and add the ginger root. Let cook for 5 minutes, and then let it rest for 10 minutes. Filter, serve in a cup and add honey and lemon to taste to improve the flavor; the ideal is to drink this tea in the morning. Drinks, sweets, and food with ginger also work.
Aromatherapy is an alternative that offers solutions to the body through the perception of aromas. This method has studied that smelling the fragrance of lemon during pregnancy helps reduce nausea, so you can chop a lemon into slices and smell it. The scent of peppermint is also said to have the same effect.
Many women experience morning sickness when brushing their teeth due to the taste of toothpaste. An alternative is to substitute toothpaste for mouthwash, which will effectively eliminate this annoyance.
Breathing clean, medium-temperature air slowly can be of great help in relieving nausea in pregnancy. This symptom is often the product of certain odors, so breathing fresh air will help squid the discomfort.
Eat every two hours.
Since nausea takes away your appetite, the ideal is to eat little but often. Keeping the stomach full will prevent the production of too many gastric juices, which are responsible for the appearance of this condition.
Follow your nose
When you recognize that ascent is constantly waking up your nausea, avoid it. Knowing what smells and foods make your discomfort worse will give you an idea of what you should prefer when eating and, especially at breakfast, when nausea is more acute.
Other tips to ease nausea in pregnancy
- Beware of prenatal vitamins. Either because of the flavor or size of the capsule, these vitamins tend to worsen the discomfort of nausea, so the idea is to consume them at night before sleeping when the sickness is less intense.
- Bracelet for nausea . In pharmacies, you can find unique bracelets that help prevent nausea and dizziness during a trip. They work through acupressure and promise to relieve symptoms in less than 10 minutes.
- Avoid sweets . The consumption of food rich in sugar drinks stimulates nausea during pregnancy; the best and healthiest thing for you and your baby is to reduce refined sugar consumption.
- Relax . It is proven that tiredness worsens nausea and any other symptoms during pregnancy. Do not forget to breathe, take time to disconnect from worries and calm the stress that you may be causing to your body.
This article is merely informative, at FastlyHeal .com we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Home remedies to relieve nausea in pregnancy, we recommend that you enter our Pregnancy and baby health category .
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.