Many women complain of ovarian pain, a symptom that can appear in other menstrual cycle stages despite being expected during the period. The truth is that before talking in-depth about this issue, it is necessary to clarify that ovarian pain does not exist since this discomfort or pressure is not exclusive to those organs but rather is a response of the body to various processes that occur in the female reproductive system.
For example, many women believe that they have ovarian pain when they have pain due to ovulation, a process during which it is common to feel discomfort in the absence of a period and that many times, for no reason, becomes a warning sign for women. Females. There may be many reasons why this symptom can occur in the female body. Here at FastlyHealwe, explain everything you need to know about ovarian pain: causes, symptoms, or treatment.
Table of Contents
Causes of ovarian pain
Many conditions can cause ovarian pain, especially in the days before menstruation. However, the presence of this symptom on other days of the menstrual cycle does not necessarily represent an alarm sign. Therefore, it is best to know what disorders or conditions can alter the functioning of the female reproductive system and trigger the pain symptom.
The causes of ovarian pain are:
- Painful ovulation: this is one of the most common causes of ovarian pain. During this process, the woman usually presents a kind of pressure or sharp pinch that generally seems to happen in the abdominal area of the ovaries. When ovulations are very painful and accompanied by irregular periods, they usually respond to the disorder known as dysmenorrhea.
- Menstruation: yes, there are women whose menstrual periods are synonymous with pain and disability. This often occurs due to other infections that we will explain later. Still, other times it is a particular condition of certain women who are more sensitive to pain or become easily inflamed. In addition, during menstruation, it is common for contractions to occur in the uterus, which is often confused with ovarian pain and is the leading cause of the disability of women during those days. When the contraction is excruciating and causes the woman to suspend her daily activities, it is advisable to visit the gynecologist. Some girls have complex and irregular periods. In these cases, the cause of ovarian pain can be several. For instance,
- Pelvic inflammatory disease: Like painful ovulation, this condition is one of the most common causes of ovarian pain. And this disorder, also known as adnexitis, involves inflammation of the ovaries and fallopian tubes, resulting in the intense belly and abdominal pain, which is confused with ovarian pain. To diagnose this condition, it is necessary to visit the gynecologist for a thorough check-up.
- Polycystic ovaries: excess ovarian cysts are one of the leading causes of irregular and painful periods. Therefore, often ovarian pain is a sign of cystic ovaries. The main thing in these cases is to identify the cause that triggers this overproduction of cysts, which is usually related to insulin resistance and being overweight. In any case, the gynecologist must perform hormonal tests and check the ovaries to properly treat the cysts, which usually disappear quickly with the consumption of contraceptives.
- Endometriosis: When the womb cells (endometrial tissue that lines the uterus) grow in other parts of the female reproductive system, it is said that the woman has endometriosis. This condition is mainly characterized by causing intense ovarian pain, and although bleeding between periods is a key symptom, a specialist must diagnose the disease.
- Ectopic pregnancy: when the pregnancy is installed outside the uterine cavity, usually in the fallopian tubes, it is called an ectopic pregnancy, which generally causes abdominal pain that is mistaken for ovarian pain.
Symptoms of ovarian pain
Ovarian pain does not manifest as many symptoms. In general, the pain refers to the pressure in the lower abdomen, below the navel, which can be mild or acute. It can also manifest a stitch on one side or both sides and noticeable abdominal swelling.
These symptoms, being very intense, can lead to general malaise and apathy. When this condition occurs frequently, it is crucial to visit a gynecologist, referring in detail to the discomfort.
Treatment of ovarian pain
When the cause of ovarian pain is a particular disorder or condition, it will be necessary to treat said disease so that the discomfort improves with the situation. However, when the cause of ovarian pain is common, such as painful menstruation or ovulation, the intake of anti-inflammatories and pain relievers is sufficient to achieve marked improvement and relief of symptoms. Similarly, only a specialist is in the capacity to prescribe the necessary medications to treat this and any other condition.
This article is merely informative. At FastlyHeal .com, we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Ovarian pain: causes, symptoms, and treatment, we recommend that you enter our category of Female reproductive system.
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.