Blood pressure is called the force that the blood runs against the walls of the arteries. Blood pressure is elevated when the heart beats, that is, when it pumps blood into the arteries, which is known as the systolic pressure . On the other hand, when the heart is at rest, that is, between one beat and another, the blood pressure is lower and is known by the name of diastolic pressure .
It is quite common that high blood pressure is spoken of as an important disorder that must be treated and controlled by a doctor, this due to its influence on the appearance of heart disease. However, suffering from low blood pressure , also called hypotension, can also be an important disorder that has to be controlled.
The normal pressure is between 100/60 and 120/80 mm Hg , when it is below 100 is considered hypotension. Although it is essential to visit a doctor, a good diet can significantly help this problem, that is why at FastlyHealwe want to offer you a diet for low blood pressure.
Causes and symptoms of low blood pressure
Hypotension is a very important disorder since, when suffering from this, the vital organs are not receiving enough blood to function properly. A serious state of low blood pressure can be associated with a sudden loss of blood, that is, the patient could go into shock due to a lack of oxygen and nutrients due to poor blood circulation.
Also, another cause of hypotension is a major infection, a heart attack, or a severe allergic reaction, called anaphylaxis. Also low tension is possible that is caused by a sudden and abrupt change in the position of the body, generally it happens when a person gets up very quickly when lying down. For older people or those with Parkinson’s disease, blood pressure can drop after eating, a condition known as postprandial orthostatic hypotension . On the other hand, it usually occurs in children and young adults when they spend a lot of time on their feet, which is called neurally mediated hypotension.
Likewise, low blood pressure can appear from excessive alcohol consumption, anxiolytics, diuretics, painkillers, heart medications or different surgeries and some antidepressants, such as heart failure, not drinking a lot of fluids or changes in heart rhythm.
Among the most common symptoms of low blood pressure are:
- Dizziness or vertigo
- Confusion and blurred vision
- Drowsiness and weakness
- Nausea or vomiting
Recommended foods for hypotension
For hypotensive people it is recommended to increase the consumption of vitamin C , since a deficiency of this nutrient can cause low blood pressure. In addition, to raise the pressure, it is advisable that you add salt and foods that contain it to the diet, for example, spirulina or any seaweed.
You can perfectly consume sweet fruits, peanuts, cereals, whole wheat bread, amaranth, licorice and rosemary, so it is recommended that you make infusions of these products. Due to its salt content, it is also advisable that you eat low-fat sausages, such as aged cheeses, turkey, pickles and olives.
On the other hand, it is essential to remove processed and fried foods, refined flours and sugar from the diet.
What to eat for breakfast when you have low blood pressure
There is a wide variety of foods that we can add at breakfast for a correct diet for low blood pressure, favoring the consumption of fresh products, whole wheat bread and cereals or seeds that you can combine with yogurt, it is also allowed to drink coffee but preferably with little or no sugar. Some alternatives to start the day are:
- Take an infusion of licorice, for this, heat 5 grams of licorice in water and remove it before boiling.
- 3 whole grain cookies of your choice, including orange, oatmeal or ginger. If you prefer, you can spread peanut butter on them.
- Make natural beet juice with carrots and spirulina or an orange juice.
- Natural skimmed yogurt with approximately 50 grams of peanuts.
- A turkey sandwich with aged cheese.
- A cup of coffee with skim milk, avoiding the use of sugar.
- A whole wheat toast spread with olive paste.
- A stick of amaranth.
What to eat if you are hypotensive
During meals it is the opportunity to use several of the ingredients that promote the improvement of low blood pressure, but it should always be taken into consideration to maintain a balance in the nutrients that the body needs and in this case it is necessary to reduce the intake of carbohydrates . For this it is important that a specialist guide you on the subject, however some possible and rich alternatives that are recommended are:
- Lentil soup with black olives or other vegetables of your choice, avoid high-fat sausages.
- Risotto with spinach, mushrooms and pumpkin. Adding Parmesan cheese will further enrich the low pressure benefits.
- A serving of fresh fruit salad, you can add strawberries, kiwi, raspberries, orange, among others.
- Salmon skewers with mushrooms or vegetables such as potato and zucchini. At the end add red sauce and sesame seeds to your liking.
- Brown rice with vegetables like cauliflower, spinach, and carrots.
- For dessert a portion of fruit, for example a pear or a banana.
- Baked chicken breast, cook with olive oil and add carrots, zucchini and onion before putting the oven. In about an hour you can enjoy a rich and nutritious dish.
- Fresh salad of alfalfa sprouts.
- For dessert strawberries covered with dark chocolate or a strawberry cocktail with cottage cheese.
What to eat with this condition
Dinner should not be heavier than lunch, but it must include the necessary ingredients for a proper low blood pressure diet . Various fresh vegetables and fruits can be used, fish and seaweed are equally favorable thanks to their low fat and high protein content. There are many dishes that you could make at dinner, some ideas are:
- Cauliflower cream and Parmesan cheese, it will be prepared with garlic, onion and potatoes in fine cuts. You can season with pepper and cumin, the salt is to taste or increasing the amount a little.
- For dessert, a serving of grapes is highly recommended.
- Grilled fish accompanied with ingredients such as potatoes, green pepper, onion, parsley and garlic, although you can add the vegetables of your choice.
- A cup of fresh strawberries is a nice addition to dinner.
- Vegetable and seaweed soup for dinner is a good option on a low blood pressure diet. The seaweed should have been soaked before cooking, and the vegetables you can include are carrot, onion, parsley, celery, leek, and a bay leaf.
- Complement with a serving of brown rice.
- You can eat a roasted apple for dessert, you could also add honey if you prefer.
This article is merely informative, at FastlyHeal .com we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Diet for low blood pressure , we recommend that you enter our category of Blood, heart and circulation .
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.