Low blood pressure, or hypotension , occurs when the heart, brain, and other parts of the body are not getting enough blood or blood flow has decreased. This happens because the heartbeat has slowed down and beat slower than normal, which can bring health complications to the body.
There are many causes of low blood pressure , even a person can lower blood pressure without suffering from any cardiovascular disorder. However, when hypotension is recurrent it should be considered an alarming fact for which to visit the doctor, since a drop of only 20 mm Hg can cause problems. If you want to know more about low blood pressure: causes, symptoms and treatments , read this article by FastlyHealcarefully.
Types of blood pressure
Blood pressure is the result of measuring the pressure of the arteries during the heartbeat, whether in motion or at rest. Two types of blood pressure are measured:
- Systolic pressure : is the amount of pressure exerted by the heart when it pumps blood through the arteries to the rest of the body. This pressure is represented by the first number that the measurement returns.
- Diastolic pressure : it is the second number that is observed in the measurement and indicates the pressure of the arteries when the heart is at rest between one beat and another.
When the blood pressure measurement shows systolic values of less than 90 and diastolic values of less than 60, the person is considered to have low blood pressure or hypotension.
Causes of low blood pressure
It is considered that the tension is low when it presents / displays apparent symptoms, since many times the tension can go down during minutes without the person knowing. A common cause of hypotension occurs when a person has been on their feet for a long time or when they are resting and returning to activity abruptly.
There are many people who at least once in their lives have asked themselves this question. The truth is that hypotension has multiple causes, which will depend largely on the age and lifestyle of each person. Let us know below the main causes of low blood pressure :
- Diabetes , a condition in which the pancreas has paralyzed its production of insulin or does not produce enough insulin to keep blood glucose levels regulated, is one of the most common causes why a person may begin to experience episodes of hypotension
- People who suffer from heart problems such as bradycardia, heart failure or have had a heart attack are more likely to have low blood pressure , since they intervene in the effective circulation of blood through the body.
- Pregnancy expands the circulatory system of women, therefore it is likely that during the first four weeks of gestation some women experience low blood pressure. This symptom is totally normal, and although it can sometimes last throughout the pregnancy, blood pressure usually returns to normal after giving birth.
- Hormones play an important role in blood pressure. That is why people who suffer from hyperthyroidism or hypothyroidism are more likely to experience hypotension. Also people who have adrenal gland problems or suffer from low blood glucose levels may suffer from low blood pressure.
- Dehydration is one of the most common causes of low blood pressure, which is why vomiting, diarrhea, abuse in the intake of diuretics and excessive exercise can be scenarios where a person experiences low blood pressure, since these Conditions lead to significant dehydration where the body loses more water than it consumes.
- Food is essential to stay healthy, therefore, when a person does not eat a healthy diet , rich in nutrients, proteins and minerals, they are likely to experience episodes of low tension, due to malnutrition.
- The blood loss in excess, either internal bleeding or complications, can cause blood pressure of a person down quickly, because not enough blood is getting to the rest of the body. Likewise, there is a shock called hypovolemic, which occurs when a person is so dehydrated that the volume of blood decreases and blood pressure drops suddenly, being a powerful cause of death.
- In addition to managing emotions, serious infections such as septicemia (infection of the bloodstream), severe allergies, and some medications such as diuretics, Parkinson’s pills , antidepressants, and Viagra can also cause low blood pressure. Likewise, drug use or the abuse of alcoholic beverages also cause hypotension.
Symptoms of low blood pressure
When blood pressure experiences a significant drop in its levels, the most common symptoms that a person may experience are the following:
- Soft spot.
- Blurry vision.
- Sometimes syncope.
Treatment of low blood pressure
When hypotensive episodes are recurrent, it is necessary to diagnose what is the cause of the drop in blood pressure. Once the trigger factor has been identified, the ideal is to treat the condition to prevent the episodes from recurring. However, there are people with heart or heart rate problems who are considered hypotensive, since their pressure frequently drops due to coronary failure, in these cases the specialist will prescribe a pill treatment to regulate pressure and it will be recommended to avoid any trigger type.
When blood pressure drops dramatically due to a shock to the body, treating low blood pressure may require blood transfusions to stabilize blood flow to the rest of the body.
If the cause of low blood pressure is the intake of a drug, it will be necessary to visit a specialist to see an option that does not generate this side effect and does not put your health at risk. Drinking plenty of fluids, avoiding prolonged standing, eliminating alcohol intake, and not overdoing your exercise routine are important tips to avoid low blood pressure .
This article is merely informative, at FastlyHeal .com we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Low blood pressure: causes, symptoms and treatment , we recommend that you enter our category of Blood, heart and circulation .
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.