Baking soda is a natural substance that offers multiple health benefits. Among its properties, its alkaline action stands out, which allows neutralizing the body’s acidity to provide a balance of the pH of the organism, which is very beneficial to neutralizing odors, treating topical allergies, curing infections, eliminating stains, and purifying the body of accumulated toxins.
Sodium bicarbonate has been used since ancient times in the kitchen and is one of the substances most used to solve domestic problems. However, it is also of great help for the internal and external care of the body. Its benefits are so varied that they range from helping to improve conditions of the digestive system to whitening teeth. The skin is the largest organ in the human body and can benefit the most from bicarbonate; for this reason, at FastlyHealwe have prepared this article on the uses of sodium bicarbonate for the skin.
Table of Contents
Natural scrub for skin
Due to its alkaline action, sodium bicarbonate is one of the best natural exfoliants that we can find. On the skin, it works by reducing the sebum and dead cells accumulated in the tissue, allowing the epidermis to look much cleaner and oxygenate itself more effectively, thanks to the decongestion of the pores.
When we exfoliate the skin, we remove all kinds of impurities found in it, which is very beneficial in reducing redness, pimples, and inflammation. Also, the antiseptic property of bicarbonate helps reduce bacteria that can lodge in the dermis to prevent infections.
How to exfoliate your skin with baking soda
To take advantage of the benefits that this substance offers as a natural exfoliant, you must follow the following instructions:
- Thoroughly wash the skin area you want to exfoliate with plenty of warm water and hypoallergenic soap.
- Then add two tablespoons of baking soda to a cup and gradually add drops of honey and water until you get a paste-like mixture.
- Apply the paste to the area of your body that you want to exfoliate and begin to massage in a circular motion for at least 10 minutes. If you are going to exfoliate your face, be careful not to apply the mixture to the eye contour.
- After the massage is finished, wash the skin with plenty of cold water to close the pores. Towel dry skin and apply moisturizer.
It is advisable to exfoliate the skin once a week; it should be done once every two weeks on sensitive skin. If you notice burning, redness, or any adverse reaction on your skin after the treatment, discontinue the use of baking soda.
Many parts of our skin can have a foul odor, such as the armpits or the soles of the feet. Sodium bicarbonate works by neutralizing the body’s pH, which allows us to neutralize foul odors when we use it topically on the epidermis. In addition, its antiseptic and antibacterial action help eliminate bacteria and microorganisms from the skin that may be affecting its odor.
To use baking soda as a natural deodorant, follow these steps:
- For the foul smell of sweat: mix two tablespoons of baking soda with ¼ cup of water and a few drops of lemon juice. Then, you should apply the mixture to each of your armpits and let it rest for at least 5 minutes. Afterward, rinse with soap and water and repeat every day for a week.
- For foot odor: put one tablespoon of baking soda in each shoe and spread it well throughout the footwear. Another way to use baking soda for foot odor is to lather your limbs with soap and baking soda and squeeze hard with the help of a sponge.
One of the uses of baking soda for the skin is to take advantage of its antibacterial and antiseptic properties to control acne. The bicarbonate offers a pH balance that maintains the excessive sebum production within the hair follicle, which considerably reduces the formation of pimples, pimples, and blackheads.
Acne is a condition that usually causes inflammation of the epidermis around the bumps; this problem can also be corrected with bicarbonate, thanks to its anti-inflammatory action. Its exfoliating action and its neutralizing power will help keep pores clean for much longer to reduce the frequency of acne breakouts.
How to use baking soda to remove acne
- Add two tablespoons of baking soda to a cup and add drops of water until a paste forms.
- Apply the mixture to each pimple to reduce inflammation or the entire area you want to treat.
- Let the paste sit for 15 minutes and rinse the skin with cold water. Repeat twice a week.
Remove stains with baking soda.
Acne, sun, aging, and some cosmetics can cause blemishes on the skin that may seem challenging to erase. However, another use of bicarbonate for the skin is to take advantage of its lightning action to improve the appearance of marks, blemishes, and scars.
To take advantage of this benefit, you must mix three parts of baking soda with one piece of water until you get a paste. Next, rinse your skin well with hypoallergenic soap and water and apply the baking soda paste. Leave on for 5 minutes and make sure that the eyes do not contact the mask. If the areas you want to lighten include the armpits or elbows, add a few drops of lemon to the paste and let it sit for 20 minutes. Repeat this procedure three times a week.
Relief of irritations, hives, and dermatitis
Sensitive skin often suffers constantly from topical conditions such as allergies, irritations after shaving, hives, and dermatitis. Sodium bicarbonate and antiseptic help regenerate the epidermis and neutralize their pH, improving conditions considerably.
The best way to take advantage of this benefit of baking soda for your skin is to add three tablespoons to a tub full of warm water and soak in it for 20 minutes. If you prefer, you can add an essential anti-inflammatory oil like lavender oil for a better result. Combat any irritation by taking one of these baths twice a week.
Other benefits of baking soda
- It helps to improve digestion due to its purifying action that eliminates excess toxins from the body.
- It is an excellent antibiotic and anti-inflammatory to treat insect bites.
- A glass of water with a teaspoon of baking soda can improve flu, cold, and throat irritation symptoms.
- Relieves inflammation and pain in tired feet.
- It fights dandruff and reduces the production of sebum on the scalp.
- Reduces the symptoms of heartburn and gastric reflux.
- I am adding a little baking soda to toothpaste before brushing can whiten my teeth.
Warning: sodium bicarbonate is contraindicated in children and pregnant women. This substance should not be used for a long time.
This article is merely informative, at FastlyHeal .com we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Uses of sodium bicarbonate for the skin , we recommend that you enter our category of Aesthetic treatments .
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.