In addition to the incredible health benefits of oatmeal consumption, this cereal is an excellent natural remedy for skincare. Since ancient times, it has been used as a treatment to beautify the dermis and cure some skin conditions. And it is that the emollient, antioxidant, and regenerating properties that it possesses are excellent for caring for and protecting the skin from the inside, favoring not only your health but also beauty. After using products and lotions enriched with oats, the skin is completely renewed, much cleaner, hydrated, luminous, and radiant. In addition, it is a cereal that also provides excellent relief when suffering from skin conditions, such as dermatitis, psoriasis, or acne.
Keep reading this FastlyHealarticle to learn more about Oatmeal for skin: benefits and treatments.
Properties of oats for the skin
Oats are rich in essential amino acids, B vitamins, vitamin E, fiber, and minerals such as calcium, iron, magnesium, and zinc. All these nutrients are excellent for benefiting the general health of the body, but also for improving the health and appearance of the skin, as they give oats very powerful moisturizing, emollient, restructuring, and antioxidant properties. Here are all the benefits of Oatmeal for the skin and how this cereal can help you in your regular care and hygiene routine:
- Hydrates and moisturizes in-depth: it contains lipids and water-absorbing substances that allow the skin to hydrate from the inner layers and thus prevent dehydration and subsequent dryness. It helps eliminate all the symptoms of dryness, such as eczema, peeling, and itching. The result is skin that is much smoother to the touch and healthy.
- Cleanses and exfoliates the skin: it has saponins that help remove all dirt and oil accumulated in the pores without causing skin irritation. It also acts as an excellent natural exfoliant favoring the elimination of all dead cells and, therefore, prevents the formation of new impurities.
- Protects the skin: it can balance the skin’s pH, which is ideal for preserving its structure and keeping it healthy against possible external aggressions and contaminating or infectious agents that can damage it.
- Lightens the skin: it has lightening effects that unify the skin tone and combat dark spots or darkening that may appear in some areas of the body.
- It is anti-acne: it improves acne skin as it reduces excess oil, tightens pores, relieves discomfort, and prevents the appearance of impurities, such as pimples, blackheads, blemishes, etc.
- Beneficial for skin conditions: it acts as a great soothing and anti-inflammatory on damaged skin that suffers from certain skin conditions, such as psoriasis, atopic dermatitis, hives, sunburn, etc.
In addition, if you want to know other benefits of oats for health, we recommend that you consult the following article: Properties of oats.
Oatmeal water to cleanse the face
Due to the many benefits of Oatmeal for the skin, several treatments based on this cereal can be carried out. Next, we will see which are the most effective for the care of the dermis and contribute to its health and beauty.
Undoubtedly, one of the most recommended oatmeal skin treatments is the use of oatmeal water to cleanse the face. This liquid is obtained from cooking oatmeal flakes and is ideal for showing off a clean look, hydrated and radiant. Take note of what are the main properties of oatmeal water for the skin:
- Eliminate all the dead cells accumulated on the skin, which can lead to the appearance of blackheads, pimples, acne, etc., in addition to dulling its beauty.
- Remove existing impurities on the skin of the face.
- Reduce excess oil and mattify the skin.
- Moisturize and nourish the skin of the face preventing it from suffering from dryness.
How to use oatmeal water on your face
To make homemade oatmeal water, you have to boil about two tablespoons of rolled oats for about 5 minutes. Then, remove from the heat and strain the preparation. When it cools down, you will have to use the oatmeal water to clean the face, do it with the help of a cotton pad and let it dry on its own.
Oatmeal cream for dry skin
It is best to start applying a nourishing oatmeal cream if you have dry skin and want to hydrate it in depth to heal it and avoid itching, irritation, eczema, etc. You can buy commercial lotions made from this cereal or make a homemade oatmeal cream for the skin following the recipe that we show you below:
- 1/2 cup of ground oats
- Three tablespoons of coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- 1 teaspoon of olive oil
- Put the coconut oil in a bowl and microwave it until liquid.
- Add the coconut oil to the jar to keep the cream, and add the honey and ground oats.
- Mix all the ingredients, add the olive oil and keep stirring.
- When you get a homogeneous mixture, let it cool for about 12 hours to acquire the consistency of cream.
Apply the oatmeal cream to drier areas of your body, giving gentle circular massages until the skin has completely absorbed it.
In the following article, you can discover more Home remedies for dry skin.
Oatmeal baths for atopic skin
Oatmeal is an excellent natural remedy to care for and protect atopic skin, which often suffers from dryness, irritation, redness, itching, blistering, etc., when it comes into contact with an irritating agent.
In this case, the most recommended treatment is the so-called oatmeal baths since it will be possible to calm the damaged skin and keep it well hydrated at the same time. You have to boil about 500g of rolled oats for about 5 minutes, whisk the mixture, and then add it to the warm bathwater. Immerse yourself in the water and enjoy a relaxing and comforting bath for about 20 minutes.
Another way to use Oatmeal for atopic skin is to soak a gauze with the liquid obtained and apply it directly to the area to be treated, leaving it to act for about 15 or 20 minutes.
In addition to this treatment, in the following article, we will discover other excellent home remedies for atopic dermatitis.
Oatmeal for skin lightening
As we have pointed out in the section on properties of Oatmeal for the skin, it is also a great ingredient to balance skin tone and avoid areas with spots or darker than others. This is mainly because it contains starch, which allows skin whitening, acts as an exfoliant and prevents dark spots that can appear due to time and aging.
To lighten the skin with Oatmeal, you can prepare the following Oatmeal and lemon mask; take note!
- 2 tablespoons oat flakes
- 1 lemon
Preparation and application
- In a saucepan, cook the rolled oats until just soft.
- Mash the oats with a fork until they are pureed.
- Add the freshly squeezed lemon juice and mix both ingredients.
- Apply the Oatmeal and lemon mask to the dark or blotchy area and leave it on for at least 20 minutes.
This article is merely informative, at FastlyHeal .com we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Oatmeal for the skin: benefits and treatments , we recommend that you enter our category of Aesthetic treatments .
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.