Inflamed tonsils is the common way of calling the problem of inflammation of the tonsils and, in fact, it is a form of pharyngitis, that is, of inflammation of the pharynx or throat. Also, tonsillitis occurs when there is also an infection in the tonsils.
When there are problems in the tonsils, the two balls or masses that are on each side at the beginning of the pharynx, it is common for whitish or yellowish plaques to appear, which indicates the presence of pus and, therefore, of infection. It is one of the most common throat problems, especially in children and adolescents, but it also occurs in adults. If you are interested in knowing details about this condition, keep reading this article by FastlyHealin which we tell you all about angina with pus plaques, symptoms and treatment , among other details.
Table of Contents
Causes of angina with plaques
The tonsils are an area that we have at the beginning of the throat and that is composed of lymphoid or lymphatic tissue. Its function is to trap viruses, bacteria and other microorganisms and substances that can be harmful to the body, so it acts as a filter helping to eliminate waste and harmful elements. Therefore, it is considered part of the immune system .
The main causes of sore throats with pus plaques are the following:
- Viral infection: although the most common cause within this group is the simple or common cold, there are countless viruses that can cause this reaction in the tonsils.
- Bacterial infection: The most common bacteria causing this problem are Staphylococcus aureus , Streptococcus pneumonia, and other types of streptococcus.
- Underlying diseases: although the aforementioned infections are the most common, it is possible that the angina infection occurs secondary to a disease that has considerably reduced the capacity of the immune system.
Thus, the contagion of angina will really depend on whether the cause is due to something contagious or not, but as soon as the pus that indicates infection appears, it should be considered that the condition is probably contagious. The contagion will also depend on the stage of the disease who suffers from angina and if the rest of the people around them are healthy or if they have a somewhat weak immune system.
Symptoms of sore throats with pus plaques
Apart from knowing the causes, it is necessary to know what are the main symptoms of angina with plaques, mentioned below, since these go beyond the visible plaques of pus :
- Swelling of the throat.
- Irritation of the pharynx.
- Swallowing problems, including saliva or water.
- Hoarseness or loss of voice.
- Loss of appetite
- Nausea and stomach upset.
- Chills, faintness, tenths and fever.
It must be borne in mind that an infection in the tonsils can occur without large plaques of pus and even without fever, but if any of the aforementioned symptoms is detected, it is necessary to see a doctor promptly, who will diagnose the problem and give the best treatment in each case.
Treatment for sore throats with pus plaques
Once the doctor diagnoses the problem, individually, he will prescribe the best treatment option for his patient, but this will totally depend on the cause that has originated the problem in the pharynx. Therefore, if it is a viral infection, he will prescribe antiviral medications and if it is a bacterial infection, he will prescribe antibacterial or antibiotic medications . If the problem has been caused by an underlying disease, it will be vital to treat said disease or pathology and, as in the two previous cases, it will also recommend rest and basic care for the throat, such as the reinforcement of home remedies.
It is vital that you do not self-medicate , or anyone who is in your charge, such as your children or the elderly. You must follow the doctor’s guidelines at all times and if you have any doubts, of any kind, discuss them with the specialist.
Natural remedies for sore throats with pus
Apart from treatment with medications, it is advisable to use home remedies for plaques of pus on the tonsils as a reinforcement of medical indications, never as a substitute since there is an infection that is important to stop as soon as possible, preventing the disease from worsening and others appear. These are the best natural options to treat sore throats with pus:
- Thyme and rosemary infusion: these two plants are well known for their bactericidal, antiseptic, anti-inflammatory and cleansing abilities. Make an infusion of thyme and rosemary, with a tablespoon of the leaves of each plant for two glasses of water, letting it boil for 5 minutes and, when warming up, drink it 3 times a day and / or gargle throughout the day as many times as you need.
- Gargle with baking soda: bicarbonate diluted in the ratio of a tablespoon to a glass of warm water is one of the first options for those who suffer from this problem, since it is something that has been used all their lives for throat problems. This product has antiseptic, antibacterial, and exfoliating or cleansing properties that will help remove plaques and fight infection. Gargle 2-3 times a day.
- Gargle with water with lemon and salt: these two ingredients are highly antiseptic, antibacterial. and cleansers, so they help reduce inflammation and infection easily, breaking down pus plaques. Prepare a glass of warm water with the juice of half a lemon and a pinch of salt. When it has dissolved well, gargle; you can do them at least 3 times a day.
- Garlic fasting : eating a clove of garlic on an empty stomach is a remedy that many people use for various health problems, as it contains several very beneficial properties. To use it to treat sore throat with pus you can add it to your meals, but it is recommended that you take a raw garlic clove on an empty stomach, chewing it a little and helping yourself with water to swallow it. Its antibacterial properties, in fact it is known as one of the best natural antibiotics, and anti-inflammatory are very useful to treat angina.
- Apple cider vinegar: among the properties of apple cider vinegar, its antiseptic, bactericidal and anti-inflammatory capacity stands out. For this reason, it is one of the best remedies to reinforce medical treatment, gargling with a tablespoon of this vinegar diluted in a glass of water twice a day. Likewise, you can also include this natural product in meals such as salads.
This article is merely informative, at FastlyHeal .com we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Anginas with pus plaques: symptoms and treatment , we recommend that you enter our Ear, nose and throat category .
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.