The sensation of having mucus or phlegm in the throat is a fairly common condition that responds to different origins. It can be very annoying to live with that hoarseness and even cause problems in people’s daily lives, sleeping and even eating correctly. This leads to looking for all kinds of solutions that are not always adequate and, therefore, make the problem persist for a long time.
In this FastlyHealarticle, you will find helpful, reliable, and up-to-date information about the different possible causes of throat phlegm, other medical treatments, and natural remedies. Although the reasons are not usually serious, it is imperative to reach the proper diagnosis so that the treatment is effective. Read on to find out how to remove phlegm from your throat.
Table of Contents
Phlegm in the throat: causes
Identifying the cause of your discomfort is key to finding the definitive solution since the sensation of having phlegm in the throat is a symptom that can occur in different pathologies. The leading causes of inactivity in the throat are:
- Allergic rhinopharyngitis: the patient usually suffers it at the same time of year. It is seasonal (spring, autumn, or both). There is an overreaction to a specific element of the environment. In addition to feeling mucus in the throat and a runny nose of clear secretions (like water), you can also suffer from an itchy nose, throat, eyes, ears, sneezing, and even asthma.
- Viral rhinopharyngitis: different viruses can cause inflammation in the entire respiratory tract, from the nose to the lungs, and this is gradual. In the first 2 or 3 days, the patient may have a fever, watery nasal secretions (which manifests as phlegm in the throat), itchy throat, hoarseness, and cough when moving backward. The cough also has mucus, which sometimes stagnates in the pharynx and can last up to 3 weeks as part of the process without signifying a deterioration in health.
- Rhinosinusitis is a localized infection in the paranasal sinuses and is characterized by the fall of secretions towards the throat, generating permanent irritation that is worse when lying down. It is usually accompanied by thick green nasal discharge, headache, and cough.
- Pharyngitis: Some rare pharyngitis can generate membranes in the throat, mistaken for discharge. Pain and fever are usually present.
- Gastroesophageal reflux: it is one of the most common causes of the sensation of having permanent phlegm in the throat, which generates a prolonged hawk, which aims to eliminate said phlegm, but since it is inflammation, mucus is rarely destroyed. Reflux is the rise of acids from the stomach into the esophagus and pharynx, and it is usually worse when the patient lies down. It is unnecessary to feel “heartburn” as small amounts of acid can irritate the throat.
- A side effect of any medication.
- Foreign body in the pharynx: if the sensation of having “something” in the throat began after eating something that could have left a residue (especially fish), you should quickly consult the ENT specialist or your trusted doctor.
How to remove phlegm from the throat: medical treatment
The treatment you must follow to clear the phlegm from the throat should be directed to the cause. You can start with essential measures, but you must attend to your trusted doctor if you do not improve.
Rinosinusitis, rinitis alérgica y rinofaringitis viral
- Perform nasal washes, either with a physiological solution or a saline solution prepared at home (100 ml of pure water + 1 teaspoon of table salt). Washing your nose several times a day will make the secretions more fluid, do not stagnate, and you will heal faster.
- You can do steam inhalation, adding eucalyptus or mint. This helps the secretions loosen, be more fluid, and quickly eliminated.
- Do not smoke: the cigarette generates a significant irritation, generating more mucus production to neutralize it.
In any of these cases, you must receive medical attention since, depending on the cause, you will have to accept some medication, such as antibiotics (in the case of rhinosinusitis), allergies, anti-inflammatories. Resolution is not always easy.
Gastroesophageal or pharyngolaryngeal reflux
Many people suffer from this disease, but they usually minimize it and treat it inappropriately, for example, with antacids. If you want to solve it, you must change your eating habits:
- After eating, you must wait at least 3 hours before going to bed since failing to do so favors the rise of food and gastric fluids to the throat, producing phlegm to mitigate that irritation.
- Raise the head of the bed about 10 cm at the base. It is used to reduce the reflux towards the pharyngeal area.
- Avoid these foods, as they promote irritation caused by reflux: sugar, sauces, spicy, citrus, mint, fat, fried, chocolate.
- Cut down on coffee, black tea, and mate, as they worsen irritation.
- Do not consume soda or soda. The gas increases stomach bloating, making the problem worse.
- Alcohol also increases reflux. Avoid it.
- Y: don’t smoke!
Home remedies for coughing up phlegm from the throat
There are specific steps you can take to help clear phlegm from your throat naturally:
- Drink enough water: your body needs at least 1.5 liters of water per day. This will help keep the secretions fluid, making it easier for you to pass them. It is recommended that this intake be 2 or 3 glasses before the main meals since ingested together with food distance from the stomach and facilitates gastroesophageal reflux.
- Do not smoke—the substances present in cigarette smoke and causing severe damage to the lung increase phlegm production.
- Avoid carbonated drinks, such as soda or soda, as they increase phlegm in the throat. This is because they promote gastroesophageal reflux. In addition, as they have other substances other than water, they do not hydrate in the same way.
- It is recommended that the last meal you eat is up to 3 hours before going to bed since it is the time it takes your body to digest. Whether or not GERD is causing your phlegm will help, as everyone should consider this. If you are hungry, you can eat fruit 1 hour before bed since digestion is more effortless.
- Ginger tea: you must boil a few slices of it in water for 10 minutes and then rest for 10 minutes. Ginger is anti-inflammatory, so whatever the cause of the mucus in your throat, it will help you clear it.
- In infusion, Pennyroyal is an herb that facilitates the expulsion of secretions and the improvement of cough.
- Honey: is a substance known for its anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties, which is why it is instrumental in helping eliminate phlegm from the throat. You can add it to tea or consume it directly.
It is recommended that you consult your trusted doctor if the treatment you carry out does not help solve your problem.
You can see more home remedies to remove mucus from the throat in the following video from FastlyHeal.
This article is merely informative. At FastlyHeal .com, we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor if you present any condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to How to remove phlegm from the throat, we recommend that you enter our category of Ear, nose, and throat.
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.