The sores in the throat are injuries that occur very frequently and are known by different names like sores, canker sores, or ulcers. They are benign lesions that appear at any age, although children are more prone to this alteration due to frequently putting dirty hands to their mouths and not having adequate hygienic measures. It is also common for them to appear during a cold or flu.
In many cases, the appearance of these lesions is the warning of a systemic disease or, depending on the severity of the injury, they can be mistaken for a malignant lesion in the oral cavity. On the other hand, sores in the throat can become very painful and affect eating habits, such as eating or drinking.
This FastlyHealarticle explains why canker sores appear in the throat and how to cure them medically and with some effective home remedies.
Why Do Throat Canker Sores – Causes
The causes of canker sores in the throat can be diverse. Among them, we find:
- Weakness or impairment of the immune system.
- Viral or bacterial infections.
- High consumption of acidic foods.
- Stomach disorders such as gastroesophageal reflux.
- Helicobacter pylori presence.
- B vitamins, vitamin C, folic acid, iron, and zinc deficiency.
- Inadequate stress management.
- Permanent exposure to climatic changes (excess of cold or heat).
- Intolerance to milk or gluten.
- Allergic reactions.
- I consume many foods, such as chocolate, nuts, coffee, and citrus fruits.
- Hormonal disorders during the menstrual cycle.
In some cases, these mouth ulcers can be due to the effects of treatment with chemotherapy or antibiotics.
Throat thrush: symptoms
The following symptoms characterize canker sores in the throat:
- The appearance of small or rounded lesions, some whitish and even yellowish in the center of the lesion, surrounded by a reddish halo on the outside.
- General discomfort.
- Loss of appetite
- Swelling, pain, and burning of the throat.
In cases where there is an infection of bacterial origin, the following may occur:
- High fever.
- Palpable nodes in the neck region.
How to Cure Throat Canker Sores – Medical Treatment
Treatment to cure canker sores is symptomatic. That is, it consists of alleviating the symptoms, both pain and inflammation, and contributing to the healing of the lesion.
For this reason, it is vitally important to go to the doctor once the symptoms are present. He will be in charge of making the precise diagnosis to start the appropriate treatment. The doctor will be in the order of prescribing:
- Analgesics and anti-inflammatories: to relieve pain and inflammation of the throat caused by canker sores.
- Local anesthetics are indicated when the canker sores are more prominent, and the pain is not quickly relieved.
- Antibiotics: should be indicated when canker sores are the product of bacterial infections or are complicated by any contamination.
In addition to the above, the doctor will indicate antiseptics and mouthwashes to contribute to the healing of the lesions.
In cases where canker sores appear due to AIDS or cancer, their size will be larger, so they will be more challenging to cure.
Home remedies for canker sores
There are a wide variety of natural products capable of relieving and curing the symptoms of mouth ulcers. The most effective home remedies for canker sores are those listed below.
Antiseptic and astringent plants
There are a variety of plants that can be used as a mouthwash or for gargling. They all have antiseptic and astringent properties that help prevent infection and accelerate wound healing. Among these plants are:
- Echinacea: has a bactericidal effect.
- Chamomile provides excellent antiseptic properties.
- Salvia: in addition to having bactericidal properties, it is also healing.
- Calendula: among its properties, there are anti-inflammatory ones as well.
- Basil leaves have a healing and antibacterial effect, so the tea or infusion of this plant is excellent for making a mouthwash or gargling.
Gargle with baking soda or water and salt
Sodium bicarbonate has antiseptic properties, which may help prevent the spread of lesions of the throat to the mouth.
Another of the best home remedies for canker sores is to gargle warm salt water to soothe the discomfort. It should be done three times a day to relieve symptoms.
Lemon Apple Cider Vinegar Tea
This tea relieves the symptoms of canker sores in the throat. In a cup of hot water, place ½ lemon, a teaspoon of honey, and apple cider vinegar. It should be taken as a gargle three times a day.
You can see more treatments like these in the article How to cure canker sores with home remedies.
This article is merely informative. At FastlyHeal .com, we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor if you present any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Throat thrush: why they come out and how to cure them, we recommend that you enter our category of Ear, nose, and throat.
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.