Do you want to improve the appearance of your skin naturally? Then you must know the positive effects that turmeric has on the dermis, since it is a plant that has been used for several centuries in natural medicine, especially in India, as it is a very effective product to treat numerous conditions and improve our appearance, as well as being a highly prized spice in the kitchen. The properties that stand out most of the root of this plant are its anti-inflammatory and antioxidant power. As it is a natural and easy-to-find product, in this FastlyHealarticle we explain the benefits of turmeric for the skin and how you should use it to achieve spectacular results.
Main benefits of turmeric for the skin
This root native to India has been used over time in numerous home remedies both for health and to take care of our appearance and, especially, it has been widely used in traditional and natural medicine as well as in cooking, being a of the most used spices in the world. In addition, due to its strong pigmentation, it has been widely used to create natural pigments and dyes.
Thus, among the main components of the turmeric root that give it all its beneficial properties for health, we find that it has a high content of fiber, curcumin, vitamins A and C, minerals such as calcium, manganese or chromium and organic acids as caffeic acid. Thanks to this composition there are multiple benefits of turmeric for the skin , as well as for other aspects of our health.
- Natural anti- inflammatory and soothing: this plant is highly appreciated for its great ability to reduce inflammation and relieve skin conditions such as eczema, dermatitis , psoriasis and hives, thanks to its anti-inflammatory and emollient properties.
- Antioxidant: turmeric has a powerful antioxidant effect that will help us prevent premature aging of the skin and eliminate fine lines and reduce marked wrinkles.
- Moisturizing and regulating sebum: it is a good remedy to treat dry skin as well as to treat oily skin and skin with acne . As it helps to regulate the production of sebum in the dermis, the appearance of pimples and blackheads is reduced in a short time while making the skin retain more water.
- Healing: when the wounds are already closed or when red stretch marks appear, this natural product helps in the production of collagen, activates blood circulation and thus helps the regeneration of the dermis. For this reason, it is widely used to help reduce recent stretch marks and heal wounds and burns. But, it is important in these last cases not to apply it when there is still bleeding, since it activates the blood flow.
- Lightens the skin: regular consumption of turmeric is considered to help the skin tone to be even and the spots to disappear little by little.
Taking turmeric for skin care
The best way to take advantage of all the benefits of turmeric for the skin is to take it or consume it directly, that is, to use it internally. Thus, for example, we can include this root in the form of a spice or powder in our diet, take advantage of some of the best recipes for main dishes and side dishes to take it, for example in meat dishes such as chicken or vegetable dishes.
Also, another way to make the most of these benefits for both the skin and our body is to take it in the form of tea or infusion. To prepare a turmeric tea to treat the skin you will have to follow these steps:
- 2 teaspoons turmeric powder
- 1 handful of chamomile
- 1 tablespoon of natural honey
- 2 cups of water
Preparation and treatment
- Bring the water to a boil and add the chamomile when it starts to boil.
- Stir and lower the heat to finish simmering for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and strain the mixture to keep just the tea in a large glass.
- Add the turmeric and honey and stir until well mixed and uniform.
You can drink a tea or infusion of this root 1 time a day while you need to treat a dermis problem and, later on you can reduce the dose to between 2 and 4 times a month .
Turmeric for acne and oily skin
Frequent use or large amounts of this spice applied directly to the skin is not recommended, since due to its strong yellow or orange pigmentation it can stain it. But in cases in which a faster action is needed to reduce inflammation, calm, disinfect or regulate the sebum, masks that contain this plant can be made, although in moderate quantity and for a short time. For example, if the main problem is acne or oily skin , the following mask can be done:
Turmeric mask for oily skin and acne
Other natural ingredients that are highly indicated for these dermis problems due to their regulatory effect are natural yogurt and orange . So making a mask that combines these three ingredients will be one of the best options to treat the skin:
Gather and mix well 1 teaspoon of turmeric, 2 tablespoons of plain yogurt without added sugar and 1/2 glass of fresh orange juice that you just squeezed. When you have the uniform mixture, apply the mask on the face with the help of a brush, making sure that the most affected areas are well covered and let it act for a maximum of 15 minutes. When finished, remove the mask with plenty of cold water and pat your face dry with a clean towel. You can do this mask 2 times a week until you notice that the problem improves a lot and, from then on, we recommend that you do it 2 or 3 times a month to keep the skin in good condition.
Contraindications and side effects of turmeric
This root so beneficial for many aspects of our health and especially to take care of the skin is also contraindicated in some situations and has some side effects. Thus, the contraindications of turmeric are as follows:
- Pregnancy and lactation: pregnant and lactating women should not take this root since it has an emmenagogue effect, stimulating blood flow especially in the uterus and pelvis area.
- Before surgery: before undergoing a surgical operation, the consumption of this plant is not recommended due to its stimulating effect on blood circulation.
- Anticoagulant treatments: those who are taking anticoagulant medication should avoid the consumption of this plant as it can interfere with the effect of the medication.
- Stones in the gallbladder: its consumption is not recommended to those who suffer from gallstones since when stimulating this part of the body it can cause strong colic.
Likewise, the side effects of turmeric when we take it at contraindicated times or when we exceed the doses are the following:
- Allergy and contact dermatitis: it is possible to have an allergy both to direct contact with the root and to the dust.
- Biliary colic: its use is contraindicated if this problem is suffered and one of the negative effects if this is ignored is that it can cause severe colic due to its choleretic, cholagogue and cholecystokinetic properties that activate the gallbladder.
This article is merely informative, at FastlyHeal .com we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Turmeric: benefits for the skin , we recommend that you enter our category of Aesthetic treatments .
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.