Acne is a skin problem, in which the sebaceous glands become altered and cause the formation of pimples, blackheads or red inflammations on the skin. This condition is one of the most common and can affect people of any age, although they tend to be quite frequent in adolescence, as a result of hormonal changes. Depending on the severity of the acne, it will be more difficult to treat and in some cases it can be hereditary. At FastlyHealwe explain the causes and treatment of acne .
How does acne develop?
Acne develops by the union of hair, skin cells and sebum that is produced, causing a plug in the pore, the bacteria that develop from this plug causes a redness of the skin and swelling and when the plug undoes pimple appears. There are several types of grains:
- White dots : they are superficial.
- Black dots : reach the surface and are visible.
- Papules : reddish bumps that are painful to touch.
- Pustules : They are red bumps that contain pus.
- Nodules : they are painful and their size is large.
- Cysts : deep and very painful pimples, which can leave scars.
Acne usually appears on the face and shoulders, but it can also appear on the arms, chest, back, buttocks, and legs. It is an easy condition to diagnose, just by examining the skin the dermatologist will know that it is acne.
Causes of acne
Acne is caused by the clogging of the pores due to an excess of sebum, a substance that our body generates to lubricate the skin and scalp. However, when the sebaceous glands are disturbed, the production of sebum increases, which leads to acne. Some of the causes of acne are:
- Genetics : if both parents suffer from acne, there is a high probability that the child will develop it as well.
- Hormonal changes : especially in adolescence and pregnancy, sebum production increases
- Diet : a diet rich in sugars and dairy products make this condition worse.
- Other skin conditions such as dermatitis, as the skin comes into contact with substances that can cause redness and lead to acne.
There are some factors that contribute to acne, some of these are:
- Stress : can be a trigger for acne, especially in women.
- Consumption of medications such as corticosteroids and contraceptives.
- Personal care products that block pores
As in any skin condition, it is necessary to carry out a daily routine with the appropriate elements, in the same way there are some preventive measures that will help you avoid this condition or prevent it from evolving:
- Use warm water to clean your face.
- Do not squeeze the pimples or pimple as it can make them worse, let them heal naturally.
- Use a cleanser appropriate to your skin type twice a day.
- Remove makeup from your face every night with a grease-free makeup remover.
- Choose the right makeup.
- Wash your face after exercising so sweat didn’t block the pores.
- Avoid creams and products that are comedogenic, as they clog pores.
The treatment of acne will depend on the severity of it and the symptoms it presents. Products that contain benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid as the active ingredient are generally used, but it is necessary that you consult a dermatologist, especially in cases of severe acne, since the use of any product without a prescription can worsen the condition.
The doctor may prescribe a combination of creams and oral antibiotics , which you must follow rigorously for the time that has been indicated, since if you abandon it, it is likely that they will appear again. In the event that no results are obtained with the above treatments, laser procedures can be performed, which is called photodynamic therapy or dermabrasion in case you want to remove scars.
Finally, it is necessary that you eat a balanced diet that benefits the appearance of your skin. Eat fruits and vegetables and eliminate fatty foods from your diet, such as those from large fast food chains, as well as sweets and industrial pastries.
Home remedies for acne
Mild cases of acne can be treated with natural remedies and here are some options:
- Apple cider vinegar : This natural product kills the bacteria that cause pimples and balances the pH of your skin. Prepare a toner with apple cider vinegar , diluting 1 part of vinegar in 3 of water and apply it with a cotton ball, you must first clean your face. Leave it for 20 minutes and rinse.
- Lemon : it is an excellent antibacterial, wash a lemon and cut it in half. Apply it directly to the skin or use a cotton ball, leave it for 10 minutes and rinse with warm water. Avoid contact with the eyes and apply preferably at night.
- Honey : you can use it in various ways, combine it with lemon for a more powerful antibacterial effect, place it directly on the pimple and leave it to act overnight or apply it as a mask and leave it on for 20 minutes. Then wash your face with lukewarm water.
If you want more information about home remedies for this condition, we recommend the article home remedies for pimples on the skin
This article is merely informative, at FastlyHeal .com we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Acne: causes and treatment , we recommend that you enter our Skin, hair and nails category .
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.