Do you feel pain in the scalp? Well, do not be alarmed, because it is a more common problem than you think and one of the most frequent causes of consultation in dermatology. Scalp pain can be caused by many and varied reasons, from irritation to problems with the jaw joint.
In this FastlyHealarticle, you will find the causes of scalp pain and their treatments , both medical and natural, so that you can improve as quickly as possible.
Table of Contents
Scalp pain: causes
There are many reasons why the scalp can hurt, among them, we find:
- Tension headache : This is a type of headache, in which it feels like a band is squeezing tightly. The cause is usually the muscular tension of the face, neck or shoulders and, very frequently, due to malfunction of the jaw joint.
- Sensitive scalp due to exposure to irritants : also known as contact dermatitis, it occurs because the skin came into contact with some substance that generates an unwanted reaction (shampoo, dyes, creams, beauty cosmetics, among others). This causes burning, pain, itching and even edema. Nearby areas of the skin (eyelids, forehead, face) can also be affected.
- Seborrheic dermatitis : in addition to pain, this picture presents with burning and itching. On the skin, red scaly lesions are observed.
- Herpes zoster : numbness and pain on one side of the head, after a few days the famous blisters appear which, when broken, give rise to brownish scabs. Even when they disappear, the pain can remain for a while.
- Psoriasis : the appearance of the skin is also reddish and scaly. It is a skin disease that usually affects the elbows and knees.
- Edematous scalp : The scalp appears spongy and hard, it hurts, and strange sensations, such as numbness, heat, or cold (also known as paresthesias) may be felt. Also, there may be hair loss.
- Temporal artery arteritis : very important pain on one side of the head that can go from the lateral area of the eye to the nearby scalp, it can be accompanied by visual problems.
- Neuralgia : the trigeminal and cervical nerves, if irritated, can cause pain in different areas of the scalp.
- Trichodynia : it is the pain at the base of the hair without any alteration in sight and, in fact, this diagnosis is reached when the other causes have been ruled out. It is suggested that it can be related to nutritional deficiencies, depression or anxiety and it has also been seen that it can appear in a person taking beta-blockers, but the cause is not known for sure. It can start as a burning sensation and become sore (especially when combing your hair, putting on hats, or having your hair tied for more than an hour). Hair loss can also occur.
How to remove pain on the scalp: treatment
If you feel pain in the scalp, the best thing to do is go to your trusted doctor or, if possible, to a specialist in dermatology, since they will be the ones to know what is happening to you and they will be able to help you solve your problem as soon as possible.
After asking you questions and reviewing you carefully, you may request a study to reach the diagnosis of your problem.
As general measures, keep in mind that you should avoid the use of irritants , such as cosmetics, aggressive shampoos, styling creams or stronger products (straighteners, antifrizz, perm liquids, dyes, among others). On the other hand, the use of a hat that covers you from the sun and not combing your hair too tight for a long time are good measures.
You may be instructed to take pain relievers . Taking pain reliever medication can be helpful while looking for the cause and putting certain measures in place to try to solve the problem, but it should not be taken for long periods since, like all drugs, it has its adverse effects.
If the problem is a disorder of the jaw joint, it is a specialist dentist who can help you. Physical exercise is essential, avoiding hard foods that require you to chew a lot.
Decrease the consumption of alcohol, tobacco and coffee. If the cause is a tension headache, it is a good measure for you to consider, since it has been seen that these can cause pain.
Another possible medical indication is that of local anesthetics , topical capsaicin may be indicated, but it should be this way only if the other general measures are not enough and for a short time of use, since you will not be solving the problem, only numbing the area that upset.
When the diagnosis is trichodynia, medication such as antidepressants or serotonin reuptake inhibitors can be tried, not because there is depression itself, but because they can help reduce the transmission of nerve pain impulses.
In any case, we suggest you not to self-medicate , since there is always the possibility of suffering secondary reactions and the delay in knowing the cause of your problem can worsen the condition or prolong it unnecessarily.
Home remedies for scalp pain
If you want to improve the state of your scalp, you can resort to the following measures, rest assured that not only will the pain disappear, but you will notice the improvement throughout your body:
- Exercise frequently : Whether the cause is a tension headache, poor jaw joint function, depression or anxiety problems, doing physical activity every day can help you resolve scalp pain. Start with walking, exercises in the water, cycling or whatever makes you feel good, your body will release endorphin (the hormone of happiness) and, as you take it as a habit, you will notice how your body returns to the balance it needs.
- Improve your diet : there is nothing more important for your skin and hair than your diet is rich in all kinds of raw fruits and vegetables, nuts and legumes. They will provide you with the vitamins and minerals that your body needs to function properly. The lack of essential nutrients always manifests itself first in the skin and hair, which is why your health depends mainly on them. On the other hand, if you put aside what hurts you, you will see the results quickly: avoid vegetable oils, dairy, processed foods (with colorings, flavorings, sweeteners, preservatives), meats and refined products (sugar, salt and flour). Choose better honey or brown sugar, sea salt and gluten-free products.
- Wash your head with warm water and then with cold water : using very hot water can irritate the skin of the scalp, so choose a warm temperature when washing it. When you finish doing it, wet it with cold water, in this way, you promote circulation. Do not use any type of shampoo or cream, only unscented or natural soap.
- Sage tea : it is cooked in pure water and applied to the hair with gentle massages. It is used to cleanse of impurities, it also provides minerals and vitamins that will help the recovery of the skin of the scalp. You can use it as a replacement for any other shampoo.
- Another way to promote circulation is through gentle massages , do not press too hard so that they do not cause pain, but improving the flow of blood through the small vessels of the scalp is a good measure to keep it healthy.
- Avocado mask : it is fabulous for strengthening hair and scalp, reducing hair loss. Use a ripe avocado, mash it and beat it well, forming a cream with it. Distribute it throughout the hair and scalp and let it act for 30 minutes. Then wash well with warm water and finally with cold water.
- Chamomile : the flowers of this plant are soaked in hot water for 10 minutes, when the preparation is warm it is used to apply directly to clean hair.
This article is merely informative, at FastlyHeal .com we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Scalp pain: causes and treatment , we recommend that you enter our Skin, hair and nails category .
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.