Having one or more white pimples on the lip represents an uncomfortable discomfort. Although it is not necessarily a tricky thing to treat, it is essential to know what it is and how to remove it quickly. The frequent reasons why these pimples appear are Fordyce granules, cold sores, and contact dermatitis, among others.
The presence of pimples or whiteheads anywhere on the face is entirely unsightly. Once you know what it is, it is recommended to use some of the most effective treatments to make them disappear, either with effective home remedies or with any measure indicated by the specialist doctor that is favorable and beneficial. In this FastlyHealarticle, we will explain how to remove a white pimple from your lip; keep reading!
Why do white pimples appear on the lip?
The presence of white pimples on the lip can be caused by a variety of reasons, from the simplest to the most complex, including:
The first is Fordyce granules, yellow or whitish bumps or grains. These white pimples on the lips are nothing more than sebaceous glands that do not contain hair follicles, single spots may appear on the lips, or several may be grouped. Despite being present from birth, these white spots or pimples become visible at puberty and are not contagious. Fordyce granules have been reported to appear in 70% and 80% of the adult population, being more frequent in males.
A herpes virus infection causes oral or labial herpes. At first, cold sores can manifest as whitish spots. However, these enlarge until they reach the form of blisters or sores on the lip and mouth. The presence of oral herpes represents a vital problem to treat since this virus is contagious and transmittable through contact, such as sharing personal utensils and kissing.
Thousands of cysts
White pimples on the lip can be caused by a condition known as milium cysts. They are bumps or pimples produced by dead cells trapped in the skin. Although their place of appearance is usually the face, it is not surprising that, sometimes, they appear on the lips.
Likewise, another critical and frequent reason that causes the presence of white spots or pimples on the lips may be the presence of pimples. This is due to the obstruction of the skin’s pores, causing the accumulation of sebum produced by the sebaceous glands, which act by moisturizing the skin. The particular thing about pimples is that in addition to the collection of sebum, dead cells and germs accumulate, causing inflammation in the affected area.
This is due to an allergic reaction to the contact with any food or product that generates a skin reaction, such as a rash or blemish.
Oral cancer is the most problematic because of white beads on the lips, although not as frequently. It usually manifests itself with symptoms such as a mouth ulcer that does not heal, pain in the mouth, white or red area on the gums, tongue, the lining of the mouth and tonsils, and a lump in the neck, among others.
How to remove a white pimple on the lip
The treatment of white pimples on the lips will depend in each case on what is the cause of their appearance. According to this, the treatments that can be recommended are the following:
- The white pimples caused by the Fordyce granules usually disappear on their own. It is a natural skin condition that will not require any specific treatment. However, if this condition affects the person who suffers from it emotionally and aesthetically, help from a specialist may be necessary to plan the application of some treatment, such as, for example, a CO2 laser to remove pimples. Another technique used to treat them is micropuncture, in which a procedure is performed under anesthesia to remove the spot from the skin. Also, you can use some ointments or creams with tretinoin or dichloroacetic acid indicated by the dermatologist.
- Herpes usually disappears by itself. However, it should not happen, so it is recommended treatment with antiviral oral or topical. The idea is that using a specific therapy for herpes can reduce pain and discomfort. The indicated ointments are acyclovir, Zovirax, and famciclovir; it is recommended to apply them five times a day for at least seven days or until the lesion completely disappears. In the more complicated cases in which herpes takes time to disappear, oral antivirals may be indicated as treatment. Likewise, to avoid contagion, it is essential to exercise caution regarding using personal utensils and the action of kissing.
- Millions generally clear up on their own in a few weeks or months without requiring any specific medical treatment.
- On the other hand, oral cancer will require specific treatment according to its severity. It must be treated by a specialist doctor, who can propose a treatment option: surgery, chemotherapy, or radiotherapy.
- Contact dermatitis is usually treated once the causative allergen is determined. Treatment may include creams or ointments with 1% hydrocortisone or a topical steroid.
Other tips to cure whiteheads on the lips
Some natural remedies can combat these white pimples as long as they are spots caused by the accumulation of sebum, which significantly affects the aesthetic part of the person who suffers from it. Home remedies such as:
- The apple cider vinegar mixed with equal parts water and applied directly to the lips serves as an astringent and antibacterial, so it helps to make them disappear faster.
- Another effective way to remove whiteheads on the lips and anywhere on the face is to use fenugreek leaves. This plant is known for its extensive antioxidant and antiseptic properties. It is recommended to use a handful of fresh leaves of this plant, crushed to form a paste, add a little water, and spread in the area where the white spots or grains are found. It is advisable to rinse the area with plenty of water, and the treatment can be repeated several times a day for a few days until the pimples disappear.
- Applying steam is a simple method and allows you to unclog the pores to remove all the dead cells on the skin. The best way to use this therapy is by placing a towel soaked in hot water directly on the lips. Another way to apply steam is through a pot of hot water; The water in the pool should be heated without reaching a boiling point, then place a dry towel around the face and bring the look close to the steam that the water comes out of the pot. In this way, the steam penetrates directly into the skin and opens the pores to remove impurities.
- Lastly, you can use tea tree oil available at any health food store. It is applied directly to the area at night just before sleeping and is removed in the morning with plenty of water.
However, it is essential that in the presence and permanence of any foreign point or grain on the lip that does not disappear with any treatment and that, in addition, is associated with risk factors, such as alcohol and tobacco consumption, you go to the specialist to rule out the presence of oral cancer or other severe diseases.
This article is merely informative, at FastlyHeal .com we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to How to remove a white pimple on the lip, we recommend that you enter our category of Skin, hair and nails .
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.