Itching in the groin can be caused by mycosis or fungal infections. Still, it can also be a consequence of rubbing between the thighs when walking, irritating products, and waxing the area, among other causes that we will develop below.
Although there are causes that are easy to treat, it is essential to pay attention to all the symptoms that appear to identify the exact cause and start treatment early if necessary, since another of the conditions that can cause itching in this area are genital warts.
As exasperating as the situation is, avoid scratching the area, as it can lead to skin complications. Continue reading this article by FastlyHealto to find out the causes of the itchy groin and what treatments and remedies can help you alleviate it.
Irritation and itching in the groin: causes
Among the most frequent causes of itching in the English, we find the following:
This is the first reason you can get an itchy groin, especially if you have shaved the hair in the area. This hair removal method can irritate the Skin in the groin, and, in addition to this, when the hair begins to grow again, the pores can become clogged, intensifying the itchiness.
Some intimate garments, especially those made of synthetic material, make it difficult for the Skin to breathe freely, generating the annoying sensation of irritation and itching in the groin, redness, and, sometimes, the presence of blisters peeling off the Skin.
Mycosis or fungus in the groin
Among all the causes of the itchy groin, this one tends to occur more frequently in men since they have more hair in the area and more significant sweating, which creates an optimal environment for the growth of fungi. In this area, it is called jock itch or jock itch, and, in addition to the annoying itch, there is usually burning, redness, peeling of the Skin, spots and blisters.
In the case of women, this usually occurs due to yeast infection. Although this is a condition of the genital area, the symptoms can extend to the groin region.
This is a typical manifestation of HPV or what is known as Human Papillomavirus. The lesions are usually soft to the touch, skin-colored, and look like cauliflower. They cause intense itching and other symptoms that you can see in the article Genital warts: contagion, symptoms, and treatment.
It can be caused by detergents or fabric softeners, certain items of clothing, or even an irritating skincare product. It is commonly referred to as contact dermatitis; in this case, intense itching and eczema are experienced.
Finally, as a cause of itching in the groin, we also find what is known as crabs or pubic lice, which can occur in both men and women with poor intimate hygiene, who often share underwear and towels or have sex without protection.
Treatment for itchy groin
Know that scratching only worsens the situation, so it is essential to avoid this action. In addition to that, treatment to relieve the itch may include:
- Moisturizing cream after shaving: calms irritation, reduces the urge to scratch the area and hydrates the Skin.
- Itching ointment in case of contact dermatitis or an allergic reaction: this can be promethazine or dexchlorpheniramine. If it does not improve in 3 days, do not hesitate to go to the dermatologist.
- Antifungal creams from the group of imidazoles will be necessary in case of mycosis or fungus in the groin. In advanced cases, the dermatologist may also indicate the use of oral antifungals.
- Ivermectin is the treatment of choice for treating pubic lice, followed by a series of basic hygiene recommendations to be carried out to eliminate this type of infection.
- Hydrocortisone, a 1% cream, may also help relieve itching by using only a small amount for no longer than three days or until the dermatologist says otherwise. Likewise, calamine lotion may be helpful.
- Finally, oral antihistamines can relieve itching. Among them, loratadine, diphenhydramine, and chlorpheniramine can be used.
Home remedies for itchy groin
You can use some quite beneficial natural remedies to relieve itchy groin:
- Saltwater: taking saltwater baths is ideal if we want to stop the growth of fungi on the Skin and accelerate the healing of this annoying process.
- The apple vinegar also often stops the growth of fungi; you can make a solution with 2 cups water and ½ cup apple vinegar. After adequately washing with the English antiseptic, apply the prepared solution.
- Cold: applying local cold with a towel is a good idea if you want to calm the itch immediately. Apply it for 5 minutes, rest, and reapply until the itching has subsided. It is not advisable to apply cold directly on the Skin because it can cause burns.
- Aloe vera: extract its gel and apply it to the Skin 2 times a day.
- Olive oil: it is ideal if you want to moisturize the Skin, it favors its recovery. You have to apply a few drops and rub them on where you have the itch.
- Turmeric: it is anti-inflammatory and antibacterial. Add two tablespoons of turmeric powder to 1 tablespoon of water and apply this paste for 30 minutes on the affected skin, then rinse with plenty of warm water.
If you have itching in the groin, do not be alarmed; detect all the symptoms, and if the itching extends for more than 2 or 3 days, do not hesitate to go to the dermatologist, who will indicate the ideal treatment for the related cause.
This article is merely informative, at FastlyHeal .com we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Itching in English: causes, treatment and remedies, we recommend that you enter our category of Skin, hair and nails .
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.