The perineum is the area that, in men, is between the testicles and the anus, and in women, between the vagina and the anus. Both men and women are affected by the symptoms of pain in the perineum with different meanings, most of the time. There are two forms of this: chronic perineal pain, when it lasts for three months or more, and acute perineal pain, if it lasts for less than three months.
It is important, in order to better conduct the diagnosis, to delimit and define the type of pain well. In this FastlyHealarticle, we explain what causes pain in the perineum and how to relieve it.
Causes of pain in the perineum in men and women
Although there is a group of common causes of perineal pain, it is mandatory to differentiate the others according to the sex of the person, to facilitate the diagnosis and the steps to follow to treat it. As for the common causes in both sexes , there are:
- Colitis – Inflammation or infection of the colon can cause pain.
- Proctitis: inflammation or infection of the rectum or anus.
- Appendicitis: Inflammation or infection of the appendix can cause severe reflex pain in the perineal region.
- Urinary tract infection.
- Proctalgia shy .
- Anus lift syndrome .
- Myofascial syndrome.
- Kidney stones
- Obstructed inguinal hernia.
- Femoral hernia.
- Pudendal nerve entrapment.
- Ischiorectal abscess.
- Perineural cyst
- Psychogenic causes: some disorders produced by emotional or psychological factors.
Causes of pain in the perineum in women
In the case of women, the causes of perineal pain refer to the sphere of the reproductive system , sometimes producing acute pain that is reflected in the perineum. Among these, we can mention:
- Ovarian cysts : The ovaries can produce large cysts, which can be painful and reflect that pain in the perineum.
- Endometriosis: occurs when endometrial tissue develops in different places inside the uterus.
- Ectopic pregnancy : Pregnancy that implants outside the uterus can cause perineal pain.
- Pelvic inflammatory disease : infections of the gynecological system cause pain that can manifest itself at the perineal level.
- Ovarian or ovarian cyst torsion: interfering with blood flow to the ovary can cause severe acute perineal pain.
- Dysmenorrhea: abdominal pain during menstruation.
- Postpartum: Episiotomy (perineal cut made at the time of delivery) causes acute pain in this region.
Causes of pain in the perineum in men
The causes of pain in the perineum in man are closely related to the pró stata :
- Prostatitis : inflammation of the prostate will inevitably reflect on the perineum.
- Prostate abscess: formation of an abscess inside the prostate, which leads to its inflammation and consequent pain.
- Ejaculation duct obstruction.
- Benign prostatic hyperplasia : although it is rare that it hurts.
- Prostate cancer : not always painful, but it must be considered.
Signs and symptoms associated with perineal pain
Some of the common symptoms associated with pain in the perineum can guide a definitive diagnosis:
- Burning with urination, as well as the increase in its frequency, could lead to urinary tract infections or stones.
- The appearance of abdominal pain, followed by fever and nausea or vomiting could be associated with appendicitis, colitis or ectopic pregnancy.
- Sudden onset of severe intensity perineal pain lasting less than or greater than 30 minutes would imply ruling out proctitis, proctalgia fugax, coccydynia, and levator ani syndrome.
- Even in the previous case, it is mandatory to rule out femoral hernia or pudendal nerve entrapment.
- If perineal pain is associated with the appearance of a palpable mass at the groin level, it is necessary to rule out trapped inguinal hernia, which can also cause nausea and vomiting.
- Disorders of the female reproductive system, in addition to perineal pain, generally cause pain in the belly, above the pubis, which in women will lead to pathology of the reproductive sphere.
Diagnosis of perineal pain
Depending on the clinical findings, the doctor may request some laboratory tests to confirm or rule out his suspicions.
Likewise, an abdominopelvic ultrasound is extremely useful , which can even establish a definitive diagnosis in some cases.
How to relieve pain in the perineum
In general, regardless of the cause, bed rest, adequate water intake, avoiding alcohol consumption (which causes dehydration and inactivates some medications) and avoiding the consumption of spicy foods are recommended. Also, use hot water for bathing or sitz baths with warm water.
Anti- inflammatory painkillers can help relieve pain in the perineum, treatment should be geared to the specific cause. That is why in case of pain in the perineum, it is mandatory to consult your doctor.
This article is merely informative, at FastlyHeal .com we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Pain in the perineum: causes and how to relieve it , we recommend that you enter our category of Digestive system .
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.