Itching or ItchingItching in the anus is a very annoying symptom that, when it occurs intensely, can significantly affect our daily performance and cause us significant discomfort and irritability. Many causes can be behind this symptom, and each of them should be treated as required, as it can be due to poor hygiene habits, infections, skin conditions, improper diet, hemorrhoids, etc. In addition to taking care of the hygiene of the anal area and following medical indications, some natural treatments can help us to calm the itch in a short time and promote our well-being. Keep reading this FastlyHealarticle to determine which home remedies for itchy anus work the best.
Table of Contents
Causes of itchy anus
The stinging or itching anus is a symptom that may occur for various causes, and, first, it is essential to identify its origin to treat it properly. Anal Itching can also appear accompanied by other symptoms, such as redness, stinging, burning, irritation, pain, and wounds in the anal region. Next, we are going to list what the most common causes of ItchingItching in the anus may be:
- Excess moisture in the anal area due to excessive sweating, improper cleaning of the anus after defecation, or not drying the area well after bathing or showering.
- Use of aggressive intimate hygiene products that irritate the skin of the anus.
- Hemorrhoids: hard lumps that appear when the veins in the rectal area become dilated and cause anal ItchingItching and pain, mainly during defecation.
- Anal fissure: wound in the internal mucous tissue of the anus that, in addition to ItchingItching and stinging in the anus, causes acute pain, blood in the stool, and prolonged constipation.
- Perianal fistula: abscess in the rectal area that fills with pus and fluid and causes ItchingItching, discomfort when sitting, blood in the bundles, and even fever in severe cases.
- Parasites: the so-called pinworms or intestinal worms usually deposit their eggs on the margins of the anus, which causes symptoms such as intense ItchingItching and irritation, especially at night.
- Anal warts by HPV: a sexually transmitted disease that can affect the anal region and lead to the appearance of condylomas that cause ItchingItching, burning, increased humidity in the area, and bleeding after having sexual intercourse.
- Fungi in the anus: the anus is an ideal environment for the proliferation of fungi, and when they grow excessively, they can cause a fungal infection that manifests itself through ItchingItching, redness, inflammation, burning, and blisters.
- Skin conditions, such as atopic dermatitis, psoriasis, or contact dermatitis.
- Abuse of very spicy or spicy foods.
- It was taking some medications that cause anal ItchingItching as a side effect.
You can expand this information by consulting the article ItchingItching in the anus: causes.
Bath with Epsom salts, very soothing
Epsom salt is a mineral composed of magnesium sulfate and has attractive health benefits for our body, and can also be one of the best home remedies for the itchy anus. This is because it helps to reduce inflammation of the skin in that area and has soothing properties, which are excellent for naturally calming itchiness. In this case, it is best to use them through an immersion bath following these steps:
- Fill the bathtub with lukewarm water.
- Add 2 cups of Epsom salts to the water and stir with your hands.
- Take a bath for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Dry the anal area very well when you finish the tub. Otherwise, the ItchingItching may intensify.
If you do not have Epsom salts, you can replace them with baking soda. Please find out more about this natural product in the article What are Epsom salts and where are they available.
Apple cider vinegar anti-inflammatory and pain reliever
Apple cider vinegar is one of the most recommended natural products in case of hemorrhoids, fungi, and warts in the anus. It is anti-inflammatory and analgesic and balances the skin’s pH, helping to combat the proliferation of microorganisms such as yeast. There are several ways you can use apple cider vinegar to relieve anus itch; take note:
- Get organic apple cider vinegar and soak a cheesecloth in it. Apply it to the itchy area with gentle touches. You must do this after you have cleaned and dried the area well.
- Add 2 cups of apple cider vinegar to the bathwater or a large water container and take a soak or sitz bath for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- When finished, rinse the area with cold water and dry it well.
In the following article, you can see how to use apple cider vinegar to cure hemorrhoids in more detail.
Aloe vera for itchy anus
The aloe vera or aloe is also part of the home remedies for itchy anus more effective, and the reasons for this are several:
- Soothing effect: relieves anal ItchingItching, stinging, and burning.
- It is anti-inflammatory: it reduces inflammation and redness. It is excellent, especially in the case of hemorrhoids.
- Repairing properties: helps to repair damaged skin tissues making them heal faster.
You can use it in the following way:
- Cut an aloe leaf in half and extract the gel that is inside.
- Apply the aloe gel on itchy skin and leave it on for about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Repeat the application several times a day if the discomfort reappears.
If you do not have an aloe vera plant at home, you can buy an aloe gel at the pharmacy, but always make sure that it is pure.
And if you are suffering from constipation and anal ItchingItching has to do with it, we advise you to consult the Aloe vera article to combat constipation.
Coconut oil is anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial.
Coconut oil is an effective natural oil to remove the anus itching caused by infections or skin disorders such as psoriasis or dermatitis. In addition to moisturizing the skin, it deflates it and has antimicrobial and antifungal properties that help fight any microorganisms behind this condition.
- Get organic coconut oil and heat some of it in the microwave for seconds.
- Soak gauze with coconut oil and apply it to the anal area with light touches.
- Repeat 2-3 times a day if the ItchingItching does not subside.
Sitz baths with medicinal plants
Sitz baths act directly on the skin and external mucous membranes of the genital area and the anus. They are prepared by adding infusions or essential oils of some medicinal plants to the bathwater. They are very effective in relieving itchy anus, reducing inflammation, and relaxing the skin in the area. Some of the medicinal plants you can use in this case are chamomile, witch hazel, horse chestnut, mallow, or sage. You can also add about 5 to 10 drops of tea tree essential oil if some infection causes the anal ItchingItching.
- Fill a bowl or basin with warm water.
- Add the infusion or essential oil that you have selected.
- Immerse the area in the water and soak for about 15 minutes.
- In the end, dry the anal area very well to avoid wetness.
Other tips to relieve itchy anus
In addition to the natural remedies for previous anus itching, you must take into account the following recommendations on a day-to-day basis to prevent this symptom from getting worse or more intense:
- Avoid scratching the area with your nails, as this can increase the risk of infection.
- Wash the anal area twice a day with warm water and mild, pH-neutral soap.
- Avoid irritating soaps, personal hygiene products with alcohol or fragrances, scented toilet paper, etc.
- Dry the area very well after using the bathroom with soft toilet paper or wet wipes to clean the anus first and then blot dry.
- Use preferably cotton underwear and change it frequently.
- Try not to sit for many hours in the same position.
- Take care of your diet and avoid excessive consumption of foods rich in fats and sugars, alcohol, caffeine, spices, etc.
- Drink plenty of water throughout the day to stay well hydrated.
- Increase your fiber intake if you tend to suffer from constipation.
- Do physical exercise daily to avoid constipation and promote bowel movements.
- When you go to the bathroom, try not to use excessive force when defecating.
This article is merely informative; at FastlyHeal .com, we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Home remedies for the itchy anus, we recommend that you enter our Digestive System category.
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.