The intestinal parasites are a common cause of disease of the gastrointestinal tract and medical consultation. Although they are more frequent in children, they can occur at any age because their form of transmission is through the mouth, so ingestion of contaminated food or water can cause their development.
The parasites involved are generically known as “worms”, although the reality is that there are many different types of these that we can find. There is a very small group that have a predilection for affecting the anal region, so the symptoms you will feel them especially at that level.
In this FastlyHealarticle, we talk about the causes and symptoms of intestinal worms, their medical treatment and what are the best home remedies for parasites in the anus .
Parasites in the anus or intestinal worms: causes and symptoms
To begin, we explain the main causes and symptoms of parasites in the anus , and then continue specifying the best treatment and remedies that you can apply at home.
The most common parasites in the anus
As we mentioned at the beginning, there are many parasites that can be involved in intestinal infestation. For practical purposes, we can divide them into two large groups:
- Flat parasites: group in which we mainly find tapeworms.
- Roundworms or parasites: which are elongated, cylindrical parasites of various lengths that infest various segments of the gastrointestinal tract. Among these we find Ascaris lumbricoides (the most common), hookworms and pinworms. The latter are the most common in the anal region.
Causes of parasites in the anus
The appearance of any of the different types of anal and intestinal parasites occurs for the same causes:
- Ingesting contaminated liquids.
- Eating contaminated food.
- Poor personal hygiene.
- That a parasitized animal licks our mucous membranes (mouth, eyes or nose) or, that it licks our hands and we touch the mucous membranes without having washed us before.
- It is also very common in young children who play with dirt in a park or garden, which may be contaminated with the eggs of these parasites. The contagion process is simple, since little ones put their hands in their mouths or eyes very often and they have not always washed their hands well before.
Symptoms of pinworm infestation
There are many symptoms that can occur because of the infestation by worms, being not specific to it.
- Abdominal pain of variable and irregular presentation.
- Distension (swelling) of the abdomen.
- Weight loss without precise cause.
- Occasional diarrhea
- Nausea and / or vomiting.
- Itching in the anus.
- Expulsion of living or dead parasites by mouth or anus.
Find out more about Parasitosis, its symptoms and treatment in this other FastlyHealarticle.
How to get rid of intestinal parasites quickly: medical treatment
The medical treatment for anal and intestinal parasites depend on the parasite involved, which have to detect the doctor by stool analysis and physical examination.
- Tapeworms : these are treated with Praziquantel, an antiparasitic that causes paralysis of the muscles of these and allows their expulsion with the feces. It is also effective against Schistosoma , which causes bilharzia.
- Vermex or worms : most can be treated with varying degrees of effectiveness with Mebendazole, Albendazole or Pyrantel Pamoate. A drug that has shown high effectiveness is Nitazoxanide, which has a very broad spectrum of action and is also effective against some protozoa.
In all cases, it will be the doctor who will establish the corresponding dose, always calculated according to the patient’s weight. In general, it is recommended to treat the whole family preventively every 6 months using, preferably, Nitazoxanide due to its broad spectrum of action.
Home remedies for parasites in the anus – the most recommended
Of the parasites that infest the intestine, as we have indicated before, pinworms are the ones that you will find at the level of the anus. In her life cycle, the female must come out at night to lay her eggs outside, at the level of the perianal region, and it is precisely what causes night itching or itching at that level. To treat these specifically in the anal area, really, the same home remedies used for intestinal worms can be used. Therefore, among the home remedies to eliminate parasites in the anus we highlight:
Apple cider vinegar for worms
Mix two teaspoons of apple cider vinegar in a glass with water and add Stevia or another sweetener to taste if desired to improve the flavor, although it is best to take it unsweetened. Take it twice a day for three consecutive days.
Consume 1 or 2 teaspoons of coconut oil in the morning, on an empty stomach, for three days. Also, learn more about Health benefits of coconut oil , which your body can take advantage of while taking it as a natural antiparasitic.
Take a teaspoon in the chaos of children or a tablespoon in the case of treating adults, which should be ingested on an empty stomach in the morning for 2 or 3 days in a row. This remedy will allow you to eliminate the worms from your intestine and the anal area, although it has a disadvantage: the unpleasant taste it has. For this reason, some people prefer to take the dose spread on a piece of bread or mixed with water or orange juice and, if necessary, with a little sweetener.
Raw garlic to eliminate parasites
Eating one or two raw garlic cloves in the morning on an empty stomach for 3 days is very effective in ending intestinal parasites, as well as different types of infections, whether viral, bacterial or fungal. Learn more Properties and benefits of eating raw garlic on an empty stomach with this other post from FastlyHeal .
Carrots are full of fibers like prebiotics that help fight these parasites. Thus, eating a cup of diced raw carrot, grated or as curdités in the morning and fasting for 3 or 4 days is another of the best natural remedies to eliminate intestinal worms that cause great discomfort at the anal level. In addition, to enhance its effect, during the treatment days eat more carrots apart from those you take on an empty stomach, although these will be the ones that have the greatest effect.
Grapefruit seed extract
This is a well-known antiparasitic home remedy throughout the world. To do it correctly you have to consume 200 mg of grapefruit seed extract on an empty stomach in the morning and for a week.
Pineapple juice for pinworms
Prepare the juice of a piece of a quarter of a pineapple and drink it first thing in the morning for at least 3 or 4 days. From the first or second glass you will notice that it has a purgative effect.
Prepare a paste with a cup of crushed pumpkin seeds with half a cup of water and drink it in the morning on an empty stomach for 3 or 4 days to eliminate parasites.
In this other article we will discover more about the Properties of pumpkin seeds .
This article is merely informative, at FastlyHeal .com we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Home remedies for parasites in the anus , we recommend that you enter our Digestive System category .
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.