The feeling of having a knot in the stomach or chest is something that many people have gone through. Almost all of us have had it at some point in our life. Each person explains it differently: having a knot, having a plug, or having a burp that doesn’t come out. This can be caused by numerous causes, some physical and others psychological. Sometimes it can pass over time, and other times it can last. Be that as it may, in the following FastlyHealarticle, we will explain why I feel a knot in my stomach and the possible causes behind this annoying sensation.
Table of Contents
The feeling of having a ball in the stomach: causes
The feeling of having a knot in the stomach can have different physical causes. Here are the most important ones:
- Consumption of medications, especially if there is iron in its composition. This mineral causes different alterations in our stomach, among which we find the knot in the chest, heartburn, constipation, or pain. Generally, the mentioned symptoms disappear when their administration is finished.
- Physical exercise, especially if it is given shortly after eating. The result is poor digestion that causes this feeling of a ball in the stomach.
- Eating too fast: the stress of day-to-day stress does not allow us to sit down and enjoy food, and we eat quickly and in any way. The result is that we have heavy and painful digestions.
- Poor diet: overeating or eating high-fat, fried, or spicy products that force our stomach to work too hard.
- Digestive diseases: such as dyspepsia, irritable bowel, gastritis, or gastroesophageal reflux can cause the sensation of having a ball in the stomach and require medical treatment for its relief.
The knot in the stomach from nerves and anxiety
Although many people are unaware of it, nervousness, stress, and anxiety are other leading causes of the feeling of a knot in the stomach and many gastrointestinal problems. It is said that the stomach is our second brain, and it is not for less, since in this area, we find a complex neural network and nerve cells that are activated by our mood and that, depending on our mental state, can cause different symptoms and pains.
The symptoms of anxiety and nerves can be many, chest pain, feeling of a lump in the throat, or numbness; however, the most common is discomfort in the digestive system, either in the stomach, esophagus, or the belly and, among them, the main one is the sensation of having a knot in the stomach.
Other symptoms related to a knot in the stomach
The feeling of having a knot in the stomach is not a disease in itself but is the symptom of some underlying pathology or cause. That is why, in general, it does not appear on its own but is usually accompanied by other symptoms in the stomach area. Some of the signs that typically go together are the following:
- Burping – Often, these burps can be accompanied by the smell of food or stomach acids.
- Cramps and pain in the stomach.
- Stomach heaviness.
- It was burning in the chest or stomach and gastroesophageal reflux.
When going to the doctor, it is essential to explain all the symptoms that appear to us since this facilitates your work, and it will be much easier for you to establish a diagnosis. Below we will explain what to take into account and what tests can be carried out to diagnose the cause of the feeling of the knot in the stomach.
The knot in the stomach: diagnosis and treatment
First of all, it should be emphasized that if the knot in your stomach occasionally appears or only on certain occasions, you should not worry too much. Another thing is if this and other symptoms appear very frequently, or you even notice it permanently. In that case, it is necessary to visit a doctor so that he can diagnose you and start the appropriate treatment to end this annoying sensation.
To do this, the doctor will be, based on your medical history, can even do some of the following studies :
- Blood tests or urinalysis.
- Biochemical analysis of blood.
If no alteration is observed, the cause will surely be psychological. The treatment should consist of lowering the nerves, for example, with these tricks to cure anxiety. In other cases, the treatment will depend on the origin of this disorder, and it should be the doctor who indicates which is the most appropriate.
How to prevent chest knot
To prevent the appearance of the knot in the stomach or chest, we must take special care in the diet that we eat since it is the culprit of most of the symptoms at the gastrointestinal level. Here are some tips on how your diet should be to avoid these discomforts :
- Refrain from eating fast food.
- Refrain from consuming alcohol.
- Avoid the consumption of fried or very fatty products.
- Avoid these foods that cause indigestion.
- Do not consume spicy foods.
- Increase the consumption of vegetables and fruits.
- Eat calmly and without haste.
- Do not eat in large quantities.
- Do not eat too many salty, vinegar, or seasoned foods.
- Take these infusions to improve digestion.
Here are other tips to prevent indigestion and a knot in the stomach.
This article is merely informative. At FastlyHeal .com, we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor if you present any condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Why do I feel a knot in my stomach, we recommend that you enter our Digestive System category.
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.