A pregnant woman goes through many changes due to the different new processes that occur in her metabolism, mainly due to changes in hormones. Many of these symptoms are well known throughout the world, among which one of the most common is increased appetite and the appearance of cravings. It is expected that when a woman of reproductive age sees any of these symptoms appear, she begins to suspect if she has become pregnant because statistics have shown that cravings are related to this condition. Then, in the following FastlyHealarticle, we will talk to you in more detail and specifically about the question: is being very hungry a sign of pregnancy?
Is being very hungry a symptom of pregnancy?
Most pregnant women present changes in the metabolism that imply an increase in the need to eat or satisfy “cravings,”, especially from the second trimester of pregnancy. This symptom is considered typical in many pregnant women, while, on the other hand, there are cases of women who, during the first trimester, have a decrease in appetite. As common as it sounds, it is recommended to consider the presence of other symptoms to determine if you are pregnant or not.
The increased appetite during pregnancy is a way to give the body all the nutrients needed for the formation and development of the baby because it’s like the mother now has to eat for two people. A psychological component may also be included in these changes, such as anxiety and stress caused by changes in the lifestyle of pregnant women, in addition to the changes in mood caused by hormonal variations.
It is essential to say that a sudden increase in appetite does not always mean that a woman is pregnant. It must be taken into account that being so hungry is only one of many symptoms that a woman in condition can present. Once it has been proven with tests that the woman is pregnant, it could be affirmed that the increase in appetite is due to this cause.
In the following article, we show all the early symptoms of pregnancy.
How to satisfy your appetite during pregnancy
If hunger strikes you suddenly, it is proven to be due to pregnancy, and you need to feed immediately. You can consider a series of recommendations that will not negatively affect your health or that of your baby. These are:
- Drink lots of water throughout the day.
- Eating fruits: is one of the best and healthiest options to satisfy hunger during pregnancy. You can eat them at any time of the day, although it is preferable to eat them mid-morning and mid-afternoon. You can eat any fruit you want alone or in a salad. You can also take it in juice or smoothies, so it must be mixed with milk, and proportional to this, it will provide calcium.
- Vegetables: have beneficial properties like fruit. You can eat the carrot, cucumber, or whatever vegetables you want.
- Dairy: provide the dose of calcium that the pregnant woman requires. You can consume yogurt, milk, and cheese, among others. It is recommended to select products that are not high in fat and not sugary.,
- Cereals: a perfect option because they provide the pregnant woman with fiber and B vitamins. You can eat the cereal bar as a snack, as it helps reduce anxiety and hunger and provides the nutrients it requires.
- Eat slowly and divide your daily meals into smaller portions to have more servings to eat throughout the day.
- Grains: Include grains in your diet because they are an excellent source of iron and carbohydrates, providing enough energy and healthy.
- Protein foods: you should include in your diet foods that contain protein, such as meat, eggs, beans, and, above all, fish because, in addition to satisfying hunger during pregnancy, it has omega-3s, which it is essential for the development of the baby’s brain.
To ensure that no food will harm you, we recommend that you first consult the following article: What should I eat during pregnancy to avoid gaining weight.
Foods to Avoid During Pregnancy
Several considerations should be taken into account concerning the cravings that a pregnant woman may have, and this means that not all foods are healthy for her or for him to drink. Below we will mention some:
- You should avoid feeding yourself with a series of harmful fish, which are: swordfish, shark, tilefish, and king mackerel; This is because they have high levels of mercury, which is dangerous for both the baby and the mother.
- You will not be able to consume raw foods such as meat, chicken, eggs, or fish because these can contain germs that are harmful to your health, causing dangerous diseases such as salmonella. To avoid it, you must cook the food well.
- Taking pasteurized dairy products means that they have eliminated germs. If a product has not been pasteurized, you should avoid its consumption because it means that it did not go through this process and can cause poisoning.
This article is merely informative. At FastlyHeal .com, we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor if you present any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Is being very hungry a sign of pregnancy? We recommend that you enter our Pregnancy and baby health category.
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.