Fluid retention coupled with blood circulation problems and changes in the female body can lead to swollen feet and ankles during pregnancy. This is a condition that many pregnant women suffer and it occurs with more intensity in the last trimester of pregnancy. Although it is inevitable, it is possible to reduce the degree of inflammation and combat discomfort and heaviness in the lower extremities, taking into account some measures and day-to-day care. In addition to this, there are a series of natural products that applied to the area can help greatly reduce inflammation and provide great relief. In the following FastlyHealarticle we show which are the besthome remedies for swollen feet in pregnancy.
Table of Contents
Why do feet swell in pregnancy
The swelling of feet during pregnancy is a common condition suffered around 50% of pregnant women, especially during the last weeks of gestation, at which usually worse. And among the main causes of swollen feet in pregnancy , are those that we detail below:
- There is an excessive accumulation of fluid under the tissues, giving rise to what is called edema , due to the hormonal changes that the female body experiences during pregnancy, this stage being the most frequent retention of a greater amount of fluid.
- There are also changes in the properties of the blood, which can promote this accumulation of fluid.
- The uterus becomes larger and larger and this causes greater pressure on the pelvic veins and the vena cava, which causes blood flow to be slower and the fluid from the veins to be retained in some tissues of the feet and ankle thus causing their swelling.
The swelling is usually worse at the end of the day and on hot days, as the latter causes the blood vessels to dilate and therefore slows the flow of blood from the heart to the extremities. As we have commented, this is a normal condition in pregnant women, but if other symptoms such as inflammation in the face or eyes, severe swelling in the hands, feet or ankles or severe pain are perceived, it is advisable to consult a doctor . since this could indicate the suffering of some disorder or condition of greater seriousness.
How to relieve swollen feet in pregnancy
There are a number of measures and cares that can be implemented on a day-to-day basis to relieve swollen feet in pregnancy and improve the well-being and health of the lower extremities during the gestation months. Those that can offer greater relief and better results are the following:
- Avoid staying in the same position for a long time, be it sitting or standing. It is important to move your feet and walk for a few minutes to reactivate blood circulation in the area and avoid inflammation.
- Keeping your feet up, using a cushion or a footrest, when lying down or at rest is a good help to promote blood circulation in the lower extremities.
- Avoid sitting cross-legged, as this is something that complicates blood circulation. It is recommended to change your posture every 20 minutes or so.
- Use special compression stockings, which are indicated to improve blood circulation, reduce fatigue, prevent varicose veins and reduce muscle pain. It is advisable to consult with the doctor beforehand if use is recommended for us.
- Wear comfortable shoes that do not put pressure on the foot and allow it to have room to move and breathe. Avoid high heels.
- Avoid wearing socks or stockings that compress the legs.
- Doing moderate physical exercise can help you stay in shape during pregnancy and combat foot swelling by activating circulation. Swimming, yoga, walking or aquafitness are good options for pregnant women.
- Drink plenty of water throughout the day to control fluid retention and eliminate toxins.
- Eat a healthy and balanced diet in which light and low-fat meals predominate. Being overweight can make foot swelling in pregnancy much worse. In the following article we show what to eat during pregnancy so as not to gain weight .
- Avoid being exposed to high temperatures and do not stay in the sun for a long time.
Salt foot baths
Let’s see below which are the best home remedies for swollen feet in pregnancy , because by using the following natural products it is possible to improve blood circulation and reduce inflammation of the feet and ankle, thus fighting the associated discomfort and heaviness.
One of the most recommended fast foot deflation treatments is to do a foot bath with warm water and coarse salt. With this, the feet are completely relaxed, circulation is reactivated and swelling is reduced. You just have to add a handful of coarse salt to a basin of warm water and soak your feet in it for about 10 or 15 minutes. When removing the feet, they can be gently massaged with the fingertips and a moisturizing or cooling cream applied for greater relief.
Relaxing foot massages with anti-inflammatory herbs
Another very effective way to reduce swollen feet in pregnancy is by performing foot massages with the help of an anti-inflammatory and soothing medicinal plant. For this, the best alternatives are herbs such as chamomile, sage, mint or rosemary.
To begin with, you must first prepare an infusion with any of these herbs and, later, when it has cooled, add it to a container. The feet should be submerged and begin to do a gentle massage on all the feet, starting at the ankles and moving up to the toes. This can be combined, at the same time, with circular movements of the foot and fingers moving them up and down.
Apply olive oil
Olive oil is another of the home remedies for swollen feet in pregnancy that can be used safely. This popular golden liquid has moisturizing properties and is a great natural anti-inflammatory , which is why it is highly recommended in case of muscle and / or joint pain.
To use it, only a few drops of olive oil should be applied on the swollen feet and ankles and perform a gentle and circular massage with the fingertips, exerting slight pressure but without overdoing it. The massage can be done at night before going to sleep and left to act during the hours of rest to achieve greater relief and hydration.
Oatmeal bath for swollen feet
In addition to being one of the best hydrating and nourishing natural products for the skin, oatmeal is a cereal that used topically can also help soothe the discomfort of swollen feet thanks to its soothing and relaxing action and reduce inflammation, leaving the skin much softer to the touch.
It is best to add a handful of oatmeal to a large bowl of warm water and soak your feet for about 15 minutes.
This article is merely informative, at FastlyHeal .com we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Home remedies for swollen feet in pregnancy , we recommend that you enter our Pregnancy and baby health category .
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.