Constipation is a condition that is associated with having fewer than three bowel movements a week and the presence of very hard stools that are difficult to expel. Pushing, straining, and feeling pain during a bowel movement, as well as the inability to have a bowel movement, are obvious signs of constipation. This condition can be caused by multiple factors such as a low fiber diet, dehydration, not doing any type of physical activity, holding the urge to go to the bathroom, stress, travel and pregnancy.
Constipation can cause severe pain when you have a bowel movement, abdominal swelling, and heaviness, which is why many people take medications to relieve stools and achieve more frequent and less painful bowel movements. However, there are also natural remedies that help reduce the symptoms of this gastrointestinal disorder, one of the most effective is the consumption of aloe , for this reason in this FastlyHealarticle you will be able to know what are the properties of aloe vera to combat constipation and how to take it.
Properties of aloe vera for constipation
Aloe vera offers multiple health benefits , among which it stands out its property to regenerate the skin after sunburn, improve the body’s immune response and its astringent power that both helps to strengthen the health of the muscles. However, this time we will focus on explaining the properties of aloe to combat constipation:
- Internal consumption of aloe vera stimulates bowel movements, which awakens the urge to go to the bathroom and helps the intestines to dispose of stool more easily.
- Aloe Vera has a purgative effect, which allows the intestine to work more easily.
- Aloe vera allows stool to pass more easily into the intestines.
- This plant helps purify the colon, allowing said organ to naturally eliminate all accumulated fecal matter.
- It allows to detoxify the body through deep cleansing of the intestinal tract, leaving the body free of toxins and feces.
- It helps to balance the bacterial flora, helping the intestines to recover the necessary number of healthy bacteria.
- It stimulates the digestive glands facilitating the metabolism of food, its decomposition and its evacuation.
How to take aloe vera to combat constipation
There are many ways to use this plant, but when it comes to taking aloe vera for constipation , the two ways that we show below are the most recommended, let’s see:
Aloe vera juice for constipation
The benefits of aloe are concentrated in the crystal that this plant has inside each of its leaves. To prepare aloe vera juice for constipation, the first thing you should do is get an aloe leaf, wash it well with plenty of cold water and antibacterial soap and cut the two ends. Then, with the help of a soup spoon, begin to extract all the gel from inside. Then add a glass of orange or lemon juice, preferably natural, to the blender and add all the aloe vera gel that you extracted from the plant. Then, process in the blender until you get a homogeneous mixture and then serve in a glass container and store in the fridge.
This preparation should only be used for one week. It is advisable to add 2 tablespoons of aloe vera juice to 1 glass of water and drink for 7 days on an empty stomach and before going to bed. If you prefer, you can also add 2 tablespoons of aloe glass directly to the juice of your choice.
If you cannot find the plant, in natural stores you can find 100% natural aloe vera gel, it is important that you verify that it is gel extracted from the plant and not the cosmetic preparation that is used for topical use. In some markets or health food stores, you can find ready-made aloe vera juice.
Aloe vera capsules for constipation
If you don’t like the taste or consistency of aloe vera juice, you can opt for aloe vera capsules, which also offer the same benefits of the juice and can be found in health food stores or pharmacies. It is important to mention that these capsules can cause annoying cramps and it may be necessary to stop taking them.
The recommended dose is to take an aloe vera capsule after a meal. Similarly, depending on the amount of aloe that the pill contains, the dose may vary, so it is recommended that you carefully read the label of the supplement and follow the instructions suggested there.
Side effects and contraindications of aloe vera
Consuming too much aloe juice or aloe vera capsules for constipation can cause some major health problems such as frequent diarrhea, abdominal cramps, colic, kidney problems, blood in the urine, muscle weakness, fatigue, weight loss, potassium deficiency and heart disease.
Likewise, although aloe vera facilitates intestinal transit and helps to fight constipation naturally, in some cases its consumption is not recommended, for this reason we mention the contraindications of aloe vera below:
- Its consumption is not recommended for pregnant or lactating women.
- Children should not consume aloe vera gel.
- People with irritable bowel, irritable bowel, colitis or Crohn’s disease cannot ingest this plant either.
- Aloe vera should not be mixed with the consumption of corticosteroid medications.
- If you suffer from liver disease or gallstones, it is better not to consume aloe vera.
Tips to combat constipation
In addition to the consumption of aloe vera, there are other habits that you can incorporate into your daily routine and that are of great help to improve this gastrointestinal disorder. Here are some recommendations to avoid constipation:
- Hydration is essential to improve the transit of feces within the intestine, it is advisable to drink two liters of water a day.
- Fiber stimulates intestinal transit and makes stools softer. Increase your fiber intake by adding watercress, brown rice and pasta, broccoli, chickpea, oatmeal, lentils, whole grains, and flax seeds to your diet. Discover in the following article more foods rich in fiber .
- Get an hour of exercise every day to stimulate your bowel movements.
- Avoid consuming foods that encourage constipation , such as plain rice, banana, apples, fats, and simple carbohydrates such as flours.
- Do not hold the urge to evacuate.
- Try to go to the bathroom at the same time every day so that your body gets into a routine.
- Don’t skip any meals.
- Look for alternatives like sports, meditation, and yoga to relieve stress.
This article is merely informative, at FastlyHeal .com we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Aloe vera to combat constipation , we recommend that you enter our Digestive System category .
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.