Within the scalp are blood vessels, nerves, sebaceous glands and follicles, which can be affected by the different conditions that affect the skin. Scabs are small structures that form as part of the healing process on the skin. It is normal to feel an itchy sensation on your head and when you scratch you discover that you have a scab on your scalp. But this many times happens without us knowing why the scab is forming, since we do not realize the injury we had up to this point. In this FastlyHealarticle, we are going to answer a question that many may ask: why do I get scabs on my head?
Table of Contents
What are scabs
When you injure yourself in any part of the skin, a reparative process begins, in which one of the first stages is platelet clotting and aggregation. The platelets will be responsible for plugging the wound and then forming the clot. Once the clot is formed, its function will be to prevent more blood from flowing out of the blood vessels and protect the wound, in addition to preventing the entry of other fluids, all thanks to the action of a component called fibrin, which maintains the clot structure.
If the wound is tightly closed and there is no more blood coming out, this clot will begin to harden and dry out, forming what we know as a scab. The scabs are dark red or brown in color and have a bark-like texture. Its function is to protect the wound by keeping it away from any germ, promoting healing.
Why do I get scabs on my head?
The presence of scabs on the head can be due to a number of conditions or conditions such as:
It is a pathology in which small lesions appear, such as scabs on the scalp. It is believed that its appearance is due to nervous disorders, for example, in people with a lot of stress; however, it can also appear in people affected by fungi, oily skin, genetics, obesity, among others. Clinically, the person has itchy scabs on the head that can be easily irritated when scratched.
In the following article, we explain what are the causes, symptoms, and treatment of seborrheic dermatitis .
It is a disease that affects the skin causing itchy and painful scales on the body. On the scalp, they appear in the form of scabs. Its cause is an alteration in the immune system and can be triggered by stress, dry skin, infections or by some drugs. Studies have shown that at least half of the population suffering from psoriasis has the entire scalp affected by the presence of thick, dry scabs.
It is a skin infection caused by a fungus and that can affect the head, which is why it is called ringworm of the head or tinea capitis . Clinically, the person has scabs on the head and is due to the presence of a fungus called dermatophyte and is more likely to spread in people with dirty hair, wet skin or small skin lesions.
They usually occur on the head, face, neck, arms, and hands. Clinically, the person with this type of cancer has a sore that bleeds and forms a scab, but does not seem to heal. They can be easily visible under the hair.
Treatment for scabs on the head
Now that you know why scabs appear on the head, it is important that you take into account these recommendations for its treatment:
- Keeping your scalp healthy will prevent the appearance of some injuries to your head. To do this, you will need to use a good shampoo, some topical hair medications, and a good massage to completely remove the dirt.
- When the scabs appear constantly, it is important that you see a doctor who specializes in dermatology. If you have been diagnosed with seborrheic dermatitis, it is best to avoid products that can irritate the scalp and use topical medications. As well as the use of baking soda, olive oil or coconut oil, which help to remove scabs from the head.
- Avoid stress , since many of these alterations are triggered by this factor and that, after all, is not beneficial for your health, one of these examples is psoriasis.
- In case of skin cancer, you can consider performing certain surgical procedures by specialists to remove the lesions that appear as a result of this pathology.
- If you have ringworm, you can apply antifungal creams to counteract the fungus and proper hygiene with a good shampoo, this to avoid having dirty or damp hair for a long time, since this fungus remains within these environments.
This article is merely informative, at FastlyHeal .com we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Why do I get scabs on my head , we recommend that you enter our Skin, hair and nails category .
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.