Mites are microscopic parasites, invisible to the human eye, that feed on plants, insects, animals, and, of course, humans, specifically on dry skin that is peeling off. Also, the ideal place for them to increase is usually the mattress. And the pillow, therefore, is a dangerous companion during the hours of rest. Our immune system is constantly working to defend ourselves against any harmful external agent like them that can cause different diseases, with scabies standing out as the most common.
However, at FastlyHealwe will talk to you about the most practical ways to eliminate mites on the skin, considering the concern that most people have about this issue.
Table of Contents
Mites on the skin and how they feed
Have you ever felt itching in any part of the body? Have you ever thought that it could be because of the mites in your house? Many times we ask ourselves this, and it turns out that yes, it is possible to have itching and even manifest the symptoms that identify scabies or scabies, this being the most common disease when talking about mites on the skin, in addition to conjunctivitis and atopic dermatitis or eczema, apart from allergic rhinitis, asthma, and bronchitis caused by dust mites.
Undoubtedly, the mites on the skin are born, grow, reproduce and die there, something that we may want to ignore, but it is true. The most common are scabies or scabies mites, mites of the eyelashes and face, and dust mites. All of them produce an intense itch on the skin, and also red spots can be evidenced in it; in the case of being on the face, they generate irritation on the eyelids and peeling of the skin on the nose, forehead, cheeks, and even ears.
Even though you are obsessive about cleaning and believe that this way you can get to eliminate it, this tiny parasite will be there most of the time: where you sleep, where you sit, even what you use; if you don’t use the appropriate measures so that it disappears will accompany you during 2 and 3 months thousands of them, this time being the period of life of each one.
These parasites bite to feed on the scales of our skin, and although their classification is varied, to stay alive, they create tunnels in the skin, which at first can go unnoticed, and depending on how our immune system is, they can cause some disease. It should be clear that these skin parasites transmit contagious scabies or scabies pathology when an infected person is in contact with a healthy person.
How to get rid of skin mites
It should be taken into account when identifying the first symptoms that there are natural and simple ways to eliminate mites on the skin :
- Oatmeal: it helps to relieve itching; oatmeal should be added to the bathwater, preferably with cold or warm water; hot water worsens the itching at the end of the bath. You should avoid rubbing the skin with the cloth.
- Oils: relieve irritation and itching caused by mites. You can use tea tree oil, Indian lilac oil, or lavender oil in your bathwater. All are natural pesticides that penetrate the skin and relieve pain, irritation, and itching generated by skin mites.
- Cayenne pepper: helps eliminate mites; it should be applied in the bath diluted in water and eliminated with plenty of cold water, taking into account that people with sensitive skin cannot use this.
- White vinegar or apple cider vinegar: effective in changing the skin’s pH and thus eliminating mites. This is used by combining it with water in equal measures, applying it to the skin, leaving it to act for 15 minutes, and then removing it with plenty of cold water. It is advisable to carry out this procedure at least three times a week to eliminate skin mites.
On the other hand, if the appropriate measures have not been taken to eliminate skin mites and the disease of scabies or atopic dermatitis occurs, it is advisable to go to a doctor who is in charge of indicating the appropriate treatment, first instance, it may mean applying a sulfur-based cream, this is the safest indicated treatment for children and pregnant women.
Finally, if the disease does not improve, only under the indication and medical supervision, treatment should be started with:
- Oral anti-allergy.
- Ivermectin or benzyl benzoate.
Who will also indicate the necessary measures at home to eliminate mites?
Measures at home to eliminate mites
Some of the measures that you can take into account to eliminate house mites are the following:
- Ventilation: It is essential to live in a well-ventilated house; these parasites live much better in humid environments.
- Acaricides: It is advisable to use insecticides sporadically, reducing the number of mites in the home.
- Set your home: with oil; this makes the mites fight naturally and effectively; peppermint, cinnamon, lemon, lavender, or rosemary oils are recommended.
- Animals: it is not recommended to stay indoors, especially animals with fur or feathers; there are also mites.
- Disinfects: Cleaning your home with rosemary vinegar; this disinfects profoundly and naturally.
- Purify: the air having plants inside your house, palm trees can serve.
- Use of vacuum cleaner: perform this frequently with it; a deep cleaning is possible that eliminates these parasites.
How to get rid of dust mites in the bedroom
Here are some of the possible ways to eliminate mites in the bedroom:
- First, we must start by protecting the bed, where the mites are most concentrated; it would be advisable that you save the bed and the pillows with dust-proof covers, thus blocking the permanence of the mites.
- It is recommended to wash the bedding at least once a week; this should preferably be done with hot water to eliminate all the mites there.
- Also, if you have an object that you cannot wash, the other option to stop the mites is to place these objects in the freezer for at least 24 hours
- It is also recommended once a month to put the mattress in the sun for at least 3 hours
- Care should be taken to avoid carpets in the rooms; it is also a place of preference for mites.
Other natural measures to eliminate mites
Sodium bicarbonate is highly recommended because it is a natural antiseptic and can absorb heat and moisture from the bed and flavor and give freshness to the environment where we rest. This, combined with eucalyptus essential oil, is effective in disinfecting your bed.
In a container, the essential oil should be mixed with the baking soda until it has the right consistency. Preferably, it should be placed in a spray bottle to distribute it evenly throughout the bed, rubbing it well with a brush and leaving it current for at least 2 hours to remove the surplus with a vacuum cleaner finally. It is advisable to carry out this procedure at least once a month to avoid the permanence of the mites in the home.
Another natural tip is to mix alcohol with distilled water and essential oil of lemon, eucalyptus, or cinnamon (30 drops) in a container to spray and spread on the bed, pillows, rugs, and curtains; this effectively eliminates the presence of the parasite for at least three months where it is recommended to repeat the process.
For more information, in the following article, we explain the natural remedies for scabies.
It is essential that in the event of any symptoms or discomfort, FastlyHealrecommends you go to a doctor or specialist who will provide the appropriate evaluation and give the diagnosis and treatment to be used.
This article is merely informative, at FastlyHeal .com we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to How to eliminate mites on the skin, we recommend that you enter our Skin, hair and nails category .
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.