Many people who go to the nutritionist and want to lose weight start a diet in which an essential element in the body, such as carbohydrates, is restricted. In the absence of these, the body is forced to use some other feature to compensate for the loss of these and can be based on fats, producing changes in the body. Once you have started the diet, you can experience alterations from lousy breath to decreased performance. These changes are because your body has entered a state of ketosis. However, few people know what this alteration is, that is why in this FastlyHealarticle, we will talk about ketosis: what it is, its symptoms, and its consequences so that before you start a fat-based diet, you know all the possible alterations that can occur.
What is ketosis
Ketosis is a state of metabolism in which the body is forced to use fat as an energy source. This energy source is what we ingest and store in our bodies. The body of a person produces chemical compounds called ketone bodies, and the one in charge of generating them is the liver.
This state occurs when the person does not consume enough carbohydrates. The body is forced to use what is deposited both in the liver and in the muscles and then begins to use the fat accumulated to be converted into energy and in ketone bodies, thus producing ketosis.
Ketosis: symptoms and signs
Ketosis produces consequences physically. Then we explain your signs and symptoms :
- Bad breath is one of the most characteristic and well-known signs of this condition. This horrible smell occurs when ketones are eliminated through the breath. This sign disappears when you stop this fat-based diet, and with frequent brushing, the use of chewing gum is also considered.
- Reduction of appetite: many people follow a diet to lose weight in which ketosis occurs. One of the main signs reported by the person is that they lose their appetite. However, there is no specific cause for this. The only known thing is that ketones affect the brain by reducing needs.
- Fatigue: ketosis produces fatigue as a characteristic symptom. When performing this ketone-based diet, the body enters a process to which it is not used, making changes in the body such as alterations in functions that will later become regular. As the days go by, it is for this reason that it is recommended that if you are on a diet, it is under the advice of a specialist.
- Insomnia: ketosis can cause disturbances during sleep, a big problem for people who have this type of diet. This originates from eliminating carbohydrates from your daily diet. Once they get used to the diet, people report that insomnia improves.
- Dizziness and headaches: due to the body not having enough energy, this usually occurs during the first three days.
- Gastrointestinal problems: such as nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, diarrhea, constipation due to a change in diet that is taking place. These symptoms are regularized after a few days.
- Arrhythmias: some people report having arrhythmias due to an alteration in the heart’s electrical conduction.
Consequences of ketosis
In general, people who present this state of ketosis are due to the diet they follow as a recommendation by a nutritionist. However, ketosis can also produce consequences such as:
- Loss of weight and muscle mass: it is a consequence of the low intake of carbohydrates; however, many people do not find it as something negative since it is the result they expect when they are on this diet, and the muscle loss is because they are used amino acids as fuel, producing muscle breakdown.
- Strong-smelling urine: the elimination of ketones, having a bad smell.
- Loss of calcium: because there is an excess of proteins, the kidney eliminates more calcium, thus promoting osteoporosis.
- Intense sweat: this consequence is expected since ketone bodies are also eliminated through exertion. The unpleasant smell is frequent.
How to avoid the risk of ketosis
One of the main consequences of ketosis is that the person loses weight, but this loss can affect their health. First, to avoid ketosis, the person must follow a balanced diet, with at least six daily meals of foods that contain carbohydrates, to compensate for what is being lost. It is recommended to eat fewer calories and carbohydrates but not eliminate them and do daily exercises. It promotes a better figure without affecting health.
This article is merely informative. At FastlyHeal .com, we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor if you present any condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Ketosis: what it is, symptoms and consequences, we recommend that you enter our Well-being category.
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.