Pain is a manifestation that can be accompanied or started with other characteristics such as, for example, pangs. Regardless of where it is experienced, it pays to be vigilant.
Stitches in the belly can encompass the pelvis and lower abdomen. It can be a simple manifestation such as a build-up of gas or related to a severe health condition. The ovaries, uterus, bladder, and colon can generally be involved in women. At FastlyHeal, we will talk about stomach pains, their causes, and treatment.
Table of Contents
Why Do I Get Stitches In The Belly: Common Causes
When we refer to stitches in the belly, we are talking about the discomfort or pain that stabs in an area that ranges from the lower abdomen to the pelvis, including organs such as the sigmoid colon, the ovaries, the fallopian tubes, the uterus, the bladder, the prostate, and the rectum.
The causes of stitches in the belly can be varied:
- Stitches in the lower abdomen from menstrual cramps: in the case of women, dysmenorrhea, also known as menstrual cramps, manifests itself with severe pain in the lower belly region that can extend to the back. As menstruation disappears, the pests will also disappear. It can appear from the first day of menstruation or days before, manifesting premenstrual syndrome.
- The second reason a stabbing pain can occur in the belly is endometriosis, a disease in which endometrial tissue grows outside the uterus. In other words, the inner lining of the uterus and the endometrium are lost in different tissues and organs. This generates cramping or stabbing pain in the belly, especially during menstruation. As time passes, the punctures in the abdomen can progressively increase until they manifest an intense, unbearable and sporadic pain.
- Ovarian cysts are included among the primary reasons pangs and pain underbelly may occur. Cysts are nothing more than a bag of liquid content that forms inside the ovary. The stitches can be on the right or left side of the belly depending on the affected ovary, causing, in addition, other symptoms such as abnormal vaginal bleeding, delayed menstruation, dizziness, and fatigue.
Other causes of stitches in the belly
- Stitches in the belly due to pregnancy: pregnancy is full of psychological and physical hormonal changes where blood flow increases in the pelvis, which can generate stitches or pain in the lower abdomen.
- In the case of ectopic pregnancy, although the manifestations of ectopic pregnancy are usually acute and abrupt, sometimes it can only manifest itself with a stabbing pain in the lower abdomen. Ectopic pregnancy is a medical emergency that can progress to tubal rupture, causing internal bleeding of such magnitude that can lead to death.
- On the other hand, sexual intercourse can also cause stabbing pain. This is medically called dyspareunia and can, in turn, be associated with various factors, such as dryness in the vaginal area, sexually transmitted infections, and psychological problems.
- On the other hand, pelvic inflammatory disease is characterized by an infection process that begins from the area of the vagina and the cervix to the endometrium, the ovaries, and the fallopian tubes. In addition to this, pelvic inflammatory disease can also manifest itself with fever, yellowish vaginal discharge, and dyspareunia or pain during sexual intercourse.
- Alterations in intestinal transit, including diarrhea, flatulence, or constipation, can cause lower abdominal pain or throb in the belly. Generally, all this is associated with food transgressions, with alterations that may exist in the diet.
- Urinary infections can also cause pangs in the stomach, especially in women, because of the proximity between the urethra and anus. In addition to the fact that there may be increased urinary frequency and dysuria, this is nothing more than pain when urinating.
- In the case of men, testicular torsion can cause stabbing pain in the pelvic area, causing severe injury to the testicle if it is not treated in time.
Stitches in the belly: treatment
With so many causes that can generate this discomfort or pain in the belly, the treatment will be individualized depending on the grounds, as long as you have gone to the doctor at the right time.
- In general, the use of analgesics and anti-inflammatories is helpful from the first moment in which the stitches appear in the belly. It can be Paracetamol or Ibuprofen every 8 hours until the doctor indicates it or until the symptoms subside, but this is only a temporary measure since it is essential to treat each cause.
- To improve the symptoms of menstrual pain, ovarian cysts, and endometriosis, the use of contraceptives indicated by the gynecologist after evaluation considerably improves the pangs in the belly in conjunction with the analgesics described above. In endometriosis, surgery is a possibility as therapy.
In all cases, a doctor’s assessment is essential. Still, in the case of pregnancy, ectopic pregnancy, and other severe discomforts, a specialized assessment is considered an emergency to determine the appropriate treatment as soon as possible.
Finally, to relieve the pangs in the belly, it is recommended:
- Drink enough fluids throughout the day.
- Include foods that are easy to digest in the diet.
- Eat-in small portions are avoiding food transgression.
- Eat foods that contain fiber, such as fruits, cereals, and vegetables.
- Avoid fatty foods.
This article is merely informative, at FastlyHeal .com we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Stitches in the belly: causes and treatment , we recommend that you enter our category of Digestive system .
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.