Oily skin is a problem that many people suffer from daily and that they will continue to suffer if they do not change some habits. The sebum-producing glands present, above all, on the face and back, increase their secretion in some people, either due to genetic causes, hormonal changes, poor eating habits, or incorrect cosmetics. All of this can make the situation worse.
If you want to know the causes of an oily face and what home remedies will help you improve its appearance, continue reading this article from FastlyHeal.
Why does your face get oily: causes
They have tried to find the possible causes of oily skin; different factors can be cited that can influence:
- It is a personal predisposition in which the fat-producing glands are very active and secrete a large amount of sebum, making the skin feel unctuous.
- There is more excellent production of fat during hormonal changes: pregnancy or adolescence are two moments in which you will notice more sebum on the skin of your face, and since there are many circulating hormones, your body wants to get rid of the toxins it can, and your skin is an area where it can do so through increased sebaceous production.
- Although scientifically, it has not been possible to associate diet with it, it is clear that people who lead healthy lifestyles have their skin in much better condition than those who eat diets rich in fat, processed, dairy, flour, and sugar. This is so because the skin is one of the purifying organs of the body, and, as such, it has the property of secreting all those toxins that we ingest, many times without knowing what we do. Therefore, healthier food, healthier skin.
- You may be using cosmetics that clog your sebaceous glands or cause them to produce more oil than usual.
Some diseases cause oily skin, including:
- Acne on the face: this is the inflammation and blockage of the sebaceous glands. There are different types of lesions, such as pimples, comedones, or pustules (in which inflammation predominates). It can affect other areas of the body, predominantly the face and back. It is usually worse during hormonal changes, such as adolescence or pregnancy.
- Seborrheic dermatitis: reddened and scaly areas of skin appear, especially on the face (eyebrows, ears, lateral to the nose) and the chest; it also manifests as dandruff in the hair. It can appear in babies or adults close to 40 years of age. The requirement is undoubtedly to have oily skin, but its cause is unknown; it has been associated with the presence of a fungus in this type of skin: Malassezia spp. It is related to many other diseases such as immunodeficiencies, neurological disorders (Parkinson’s, stroke, etc.), and treatment with some drugs (such as lithium and immunosuppressants).
- Pityriasis Versicolor: is a fungal skin disease usually in people with oily skin, exposed to a humid environment, with hormonal changes, or with low defenses. Some spots are lighter than the skin, which is sometimes itchy and can be seen when sunbathing, as they are still weaker than tanned skin.
How to take care of oily skin
It is essential that, as a first step, you consult a specialist in dermatology, who will be the one who can determine if the appearance of your face is due only to your skin type or if you suffer from any disease that makes your skin more oily.
You must stay hydrated, eat healthily and cleanse your skin frequently, but not use a large number of cosmetics since, as in many cases: less is more. You can try cleanings, peels, and steam baths. Next, you will find how you can do all this in a homemade and natural way, the most important thing.
Among the tips on caring for oily skin are:
Water cleans on the outside, but it also helps cleanse your body on the inside. The skin is one of the purifying organs of the body, so if you drink water, you help it do its job more efficiently. Leave out carbonated drinks with sugar, sweeteners, artificial flavors, and alcohol since they will only help to keep your skin oily due to the elimination of toxins.
Improve your diet
Diets full of fat, meat, dairy, processed, refined flours, sugar, etc., only contribute to making your skin worse. On the other hand, if you increase the number of raw fruits and vegetables, nuts, seeds, sprouts, fermented, and honey, you will help your liver, kidney, and skin to do their cleaning tasks. You will reduce the amount of toxins and add antioxidants, with which your skin will look radiant. However, this is a process because you have been accumulating toxins in your body for years; at first, you will not notice improvement, it can even increase the greasy appearance, but in a short time, you will be able to keep your skin in excellent condition and in a lasting way.
Some foods are especially rich in sulfur, which helps to cleanse the skin: carrot, pear, apple, grape, orange, coconut, pineapple, lemon, grapefruit, tangerine, plum, cherry, watermelon, papaya, mango, watermelon, blackberry, melon, walnuts, almonds, pine nuts, olives, dates. It would help if you consumed them raw and away from other foods for the best effect.
Constipation goes hand in hand with the poor condition of the skin. If you suffer from constipation, you favor the terrible appearance of your skin since the toxins that you do not eliminate through your digestive system must come out the other way, and your skin is a good escape route. That is why diet, exercise, and drinking water are also crucial. Laxatives generally produce accusations and end up making the problem worse.
One fast day a week.
It does not mean that you should not eat anything, you can do a whole day with only fruits. It is an excellent practice that helps your body recover from its demands and solve problems other than digestion. It may cost you the first few times, but you will feel it as a need because it will make you feel perfect.
Another way of fasting is by spacing more hours for dinner and the following breakfast: having dinner very early (or just having a snack) and having breakfast very late (almost having lunch). You can drink the infusions that help you cleanse the skin and body during those hours.
At least 30 minutes of movement a day will help you remove impurities from the skin. Start gently and at your own pace, and then increase the intensity.
Clean your face
Twice a day, morning and night, cleanse your face with mild soap, without aromas or dyes, or one that is specific to take care of oily skin. Pat the skin dry with paper instead of a towel.
Exfoliate your face
Once a week, exfoliate your face, either with wet coffee grounds or with a mixture of sugar and olive oil. Remember to do it gently, for about 3 or 5 minutes. If you notice that it hurts or irritates you, slow down. Then, you can apply an infusion of herbs such as chamomile or calendula. In the following article, you can see more exfoliating masks for oily faces.
Home remedies for oily face
If you want to avoid medication or cosmetic creams full of chemicals, pay attention to the following tips, where you will find homemade ways to improve your oily skin:
The steam on the skin that you want to keep fresh and without oil is necessary. You can expose your face to about 5 to 10 minutes of the smoke emitted by the boiled water (it should not be so hot that you can burn yourself), after which you should wash with cold water. This way, you will improve your circulation, eliminate impurities and help to close the pores. You can do it daily or three times a week. You can add chamomile to the water.
When cleaning the bicarbonate, it is excellent; you can use it in the form of a mask dissolving two tablespoons of it in 2 tablespoons of warm water and applying it to your face. It can bother a little in irritated areas or with pimples; let it act for 15 minutes; if it concerns a lot, remove it before. Then wash and apply some natural oil (coconut, almond, or olive) to hydrate gently. You can do it weekly.
Infusions that help you clean the skin
Some herbs are specific to help the skin in its cleansing process; the important thing is to consume them away from other meals (an hour before or two hours after), use natural herbs, and be consistent. You can use the same seasoning for ten days and then switch to another. Among these medicinal plants are:
- Chamomile: Place a tablespoon of the herb in a cup of boiling water, let it sit covered, and then drink that infusion and use a little on a cotton ball to clean your face every day.
- Calendula: a flower is enough in a cup of boiling water; you let it rest covered until it reaches a comfortable temperature and use it for drinking or cleaning your face.
- Sage: it is excellent for cleansing the skin and hair. You must prepare an infusion and use it frequently.
In the following article, you can see more Home remedies for oily and pimpled skin.
This article is merely informative, at FastlyHeal .com we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Oily face: causes and home remedies , we recommend that you enter our Skin, hair and nails category .
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.