It is likely that several times throughout your life, you have noticed itching in the throat area, a rather annoying symptom that we generally associate with the beginning of irritation and that is most noticeable when swallowing or even speaking.
While sometimes an itchy throat can come and go with the same ease, it is the first sign of a significant condition in others. The causes that cause this annoyance are diverse and range from irritation by some environmental factor to the contagion of certain viruses and bacteria. In this FastlyHealarticle, we detail the causes of an itchy throat.
Table of Contents
The throat is one of the areas of our body that is most sensitive to agents found in the environment, and sometimes itching is the first physical reaction to their presence. Some of these factors are as follows:
- Dryness in the background is caused by heating or air conditioning in homes or vehicles.
- Notable thermal contrasts are caused primarily by changes in the weather, such as in autumn or spring.
- The presence of smoke in the environment is often from tobacco, pollution, or dust.
- The consumption of any drink or food that irritates, such as cold liquids, alcohol, or spicy foods.
- Talking continuously for an extended period or yelling without having a throat cure.
On the other hand, the itch in the throat can appear due to contracting a virus or by the contagion of a bacteria that later triggers another disease. Some examples of this are the following:
- Viruses: This is the leading cause of itchy throat. Viruses usually enter the body through the respiratory tract or mouth, permeating the throat area and later developing infections such as colds or flu. To defend against it, the body reacts with inflammation and irritation other than itching.
- Bacteria: one of the most common is the well-known streptococcus. Bacteria can also enter our body through the air we breathe and, in the same way, irritate the area, which can lead to the subsequent appearance of diseases such as tonsillitis or pharyngitis. The most effective way to fight bacteria is by administering antibiotics prescribed by a professional.
Tips for an itchy throat
Taking some measures when we start to feel the itch in the throat can help prevent the condition from lasting longer than necessary or being excessively annoying:
- Control the tone of voice when speaking since forcing it can increase irritation in the throat.
- Protect the neck area from thermal changes, using scarves and trying not to overdo the heating and air conditioning.
- Get away from tobacco smoke, whether we smoke or frequent places with a lot of smoke.
- Breathe through the nose to avoid drying the throat and worsening the irritation.
- Use some home remedies such as anti-inflammatory infusions of thyme or sage.
- Avoid consuming icy drinks or food to prevent the throat from getting sore.
This article is merely informative, at FastlyHeal .com we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Itchy Throat: Causes , we recommend that you enter our Ear, Nose and Throat category .
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.