A sore throat and cough are two symptoms present in any disorder of the respiratory system, whether of viral or bacterial origin. Generally, both signs are related to flu symptoms, and it is the most frequent disease at any age.
Year after year, people at a particular time of year frequently suffer from these respiratory problems, which depending on their cause, in many cases, do not require the use of antibiotics since the vast majority of them are of viral origin.
Natural remedies are an excellent alternative in treating these symptoms, as they alleviate the condition efficiently, simply and comfortably without affecting other systems. In addition, nutrients are used for the benefit of health. In this FastlyHealarticle, you will learn what to take in case of a sore throat and cough to alleviate these symptoms and eradicate them in the best of circumstances.
Causes of sore throat and cough
A sore throat is the first symptom to appear. It indicates the beginning of a respiratory process and that the body is fighting an infectious process in that area. Coughing is a symptom of a sore throat and frequently accompanies this alteration.
The causes of sore throat and cough in the vast majority of cases are of origin:
- Viral: in this case, it is a product of the flu, the common cold, mononucleosis, herpes.
- Bacterial: it is caused by a bacterium called Group A Streptococcus. It is the most common.
- Gastroesophageal reflux.
- Throat irritation from exposure to cigarette smoke or alcohol.
- Mucosal dryness is evident in people who sleep with their mouths open.
- Presence of tumors.
Coughing is a reflection of the body, a defense mechanism responsible for protecting the respiratory tract since it leaves them clean to breathe. Its origin can be from inhalations of irritating or toxic substances and the presence of a foreign body in the respiratory tract. Through them, infections caused by viruses or bacteria can spread.
The cough can be dry, with phlegm, or allergic. It is also related to flu and colds and a sore throat.
The causes of cough are familiar to those of a sore throat. Its appearance and persistence depend on the exact causes of a sore throat. Among them, we can highlight:
In addition, there are diseases of the expiratory tree that are considered more severe if they are not treated in time, among which are:
- Acute bronchitis.
- Asthma crisis.
- Exposure to allergens such as pollen or mites.
- Edema or pulmonary embolism.
What to take for a sore throat and cough?
Pharmacological treatment for cough must be recommended by a specialist doctor who will be in charge of making the precise diagnosis. Depending on the patient’s symptoms, a pharmacological treatment will be indicated according to his condition. There are medications such as:
- Expectorants: allow fluid to fluidize secretions for easy expulsion.
- Antitussives: they are responsible for calming the cough.
In cases of sore throat, the intake of:
- Antibiotics it is an infectious process of bacterial origin.
Measures and home remedies for sore throat and cough
There is care that, put into practice, relieves sore throat and cough. These can be combined with pharmacological treatment if required. Among them are:
- Increase your fluid intake.
- Do not stay in places where there are drafts.
- Keep the environment humid with steam that is not too hot. This keeps the airways moist and calms the cough.
- Avoid being in contact with dust.
- Do not sleep with wet hair.
- Gargle with a tablespoon of salt in half a glass of water or alternate the salt with apple cider vinegar. This relieves pain and inflammation in cases of sore throat.
- Take tablespoons of honey, as it is an excellent antiseptic.
- Consuming ginger in any of its forms will help fight a sore throat.
- Consume infusions of natural plants such as eucalyptus or thyme, as they increase the volume and fluidity of secretions allowing their easy expulsion.
- Avoid the consumption of cigarettes and alcoholic beverages. Both are irritants and can aggravate respiratory symptoms.
- Use hard candy or peppermint lozenges to stimulate saliva production to keep the throat moist.
You can also consult the article Home remedies for a sore throat.
The ideal is to go to the doctor. He depends on the symptoms to indicate the treatment for a sore throat and cough that best suits each case. In this way, relapses and complications due to indiscriminate use of antibiotics will be avoided. When it comes to viral infections, antibiotics should be avoided. An antibiotic is indicated in cases where it is a bacterial infection, as long as it is adequate to attack the bacteria.
This article is merely informative. At FastlyHeal .com, we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor if you present any condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Sore throat and cough: what to drink, we recommend that you enter our Ear, nose, and throat category.
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.