Although it can occur at any time of the year, a sore throat is a typical symptom of cold months or rainy seasons, often accompanied by colds, flu, or various bacterial infections that attack this area, giving rise to pathologies such as tonsillitis. The truth is that the faster we take care of it, the better. In this way, We prevent the discomfort from increasing or progressing until it becomes a more acute infection. That is why at FastlyHealwe gives you the best home remedies for a sore throat.
Causes of a sore throat
Sometimes we look for home remedies for a sore throat without being clear about its cause and ignoring that, in some instances, natural options are not valid and will be of little use.
The most frequent causes of these discomforts are:
- Bacterial infections usually enter our body together with a virus but cause different effects. Inflammation, pain, and the appearance of pus are the most typical symptoms of this condition, usually caused by streptococcus bacteria, which causes infections such as tonsillitis or pharyngitis. If this is the case, the treatment that will end the problem must be antibiotic and prescribed by a doctor, so home remedies will only help to alleviate the discomfort but hardly cure them wholly slightly.
- Virus infections: These usually occur when we catch the flu or a cold. In this case, specific solutions can help reduce pain or inflammation.
- Irritations due to external factors: cigarette smoke, air conditioning or heating, sleeping with your mouth open, or being in an environment in which the air is highly polluted, can cause discomfort and pain in this area that can be treated with natural options.
Saltwater gargles for pain and inflammation
Salt is one of the best antiseptics, ideal for calming pain, reducing inflammation, and favoring the elimination of viable bacteria in the area. This is why saltwater gargles are an excellent option to treat a sore throat naturally.
To a glass of warm water, add half a teaspoon of salt, stir well and gargle for a few seconds with the liquid. Spit and repeat until the drink runs out. You can do it three times a day until you feel improvement. It is recommended not to exceed this frequency, or the throat could become dry and the discomfort increase.
Honey to fight viruses and bacteria
Honey is an excellent natural antibiotic with antiseptic properties, making it ideal for fighting all kinds of infections, being one of the best home remedies for sore throats. One of the most popular ways to use it is by adding a tablespoon to a lemon tea, and although this alternative is excellent since the heat is always pleasant for a sore and inflamed throat, there is an even easier option.
It is about using it as a syrup, taking a heaping tablespoon of honey 3 or 4 times a day. It is recommended to keep it a little in the throat before swallowing it. In this way, we allow its properties to act in this area, alleviating the discomfort.
A cloth with hot water
Not all-natural remedies for a sore throat must work from within, and a compressor cloth soaked in hot water can also help reduce discomfort. The heat will reduce inflammation and improve blood circulation in the area, relieving pain.
Wrap a warm cloth around your throat at a suitable temperature for your skin, or take a warm compress and place it in this area, making sure that the temperature is appropriate.
Thyme to relieve discomfort
Thyme is not only an intense and delicious aromatic herb, but it is also an excellent natural antiseptic, so we can use it to improve a sore throat in two ways:
- In infusion: to a cup of freshly boiled water, add a tablespoon of dried thyme, let it rest for 10 minutes, strain, add honey and lemon to taste, and drink when it is not so hot. You can take 3 cups a day.
- To gargle: prepare the infusion as explained in the previous step, let it warm, strain, and use it to gargle. It will help you fight infection and improve the health of your throat.
Ginger infusion is ideal for your throat.
Ginger is one of the plants with the most excellent benefits that we can find. It is ideal for fighting against the flu, the cold, and respiratory and throat discomfort. It effectively fights bacteria, serves as an expectorant, and is an excellent decongestant, one of the best home remedies for a sore throat.
Taking it as an infusion is the best option for this discomfort. You have to boil a liter of water, add a peeled and chopped ginger tuber, let it simmer for 10 minutes, remove it from the heat, and rest for ten more minutes—strain and drink when it is warm. You can have 3 cups a day.
A gargle of hydrogen peroxide for infection
A hydrogen peroxide gargle is an excellent option if you think that sore throat has turned into an infection. You can choose to add two equal parts of hydrogen peroxide and water and gargle with this mixture three times a day. Its disinfectant power is ideal for fighting bacteria and improving your condition.
A good chicken soup always helps.
Chicken soup is one of the best remedies for the flu, and it is no accident. This dish is not only comforting, but its effectiveness is also scientifically proven because due to the combination of ingredients that we add, it helps reduce the action of neutrophils, a type of white blood cell that, in its process of destroying invading bacteria, also produces that our tissues become more inflamed than necessary and that the mucus increases.
If you want that soup to be effective, in addition to chicken, add onion, carrot, potato, parsley and let it cook for at least 1 hour.
Some infusions that can also help
In addition to the thyme and ginger infusions that we have already recommended, other hot drinks can help you fight a sore throat. Naturally, these are:
- Tea with lemon and honey.
- Licorice tea.
- Green tea.
You can take 3 cups a day to reduce discomfort in each case.
Other recommendations to cure a sore throat
These home remedies for a sore throat will be of little use if you also do not consider other measures to promote a speedy recovery and prevent your throat from being irritated. Some recommendations to end the discomfort soon are:
- Avoid smoking or being in a smoky environment, noticeably irritate your throat.
- Spicy and robust spices should be avoided entirely while you are feeling ill.
- Also, limit alcohol consumption.
- Although hot drinks will relieve you, it is essential that they are not too hot, or your throat could become irritated.
- If it’s cold, it adequately protects your throat.
- Install a humidifier in your home. It will help keep your throat moist by reducing pain.
- Avoid using air conditioning or heating while you are ill.
It is essential to visit your doctor if the sore throat does not subside in 2 weeks or if there is a significant infection in the area.
This article is merely informative. At FastlyHeal .com, we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor if you present any condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Home remedies for a sore throat, we recommend that you enter our Ear, Nose, and Throat category.
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.