The sores or mouth sores sometimes can be cured easily and quickly, but sometimes can be really uncomfortable, painful and difficult to treat. Although they usually appear on the inside of the cheeks, they also usually appear on the roof of the mouth, on the gums and on the inside of the lips. It is good to know how to detect the first symptoms, since then they are usually easier to treat. In any case, as the causes of these oral wounds are very varied, it is convenient to know them in order to better adjust the treatment.
If you have been suffering from this problem in your mouth lately and you have already tried some remedies or even some medical treatment that has not finished working as you expected, do not be discouraged. At FastlyHealwe want to help you improve your health in a practical way and, therefore, in this article we explain how to cure canker sores with home remedies . Likewise, we advise you that if you are already taking any treatment prescribed by your doctor, before starting to use these remedies, you mention it to him so that he can verify if one is suitable to take together with the medicines he prescribed.
Table of Contents
Causes of canker sores in the mouth
The sores or canker sores are lesions that occur for various reasons and can be temporary or worsen and produce a lot of pain, itching, stinging and have difficulty heal. It is advisable to know the possible reasons why they may appear, as this allows it to be easier to focus on the treatment and the form of prevention to avoid future occurrences. The main causes of canker sores are the following:
- Poor oral hygiene: when oral hygiene is poor, germs and other microorganisms are concentrated in the mouth and can end up causing inflammation of the gums and other mucous membranes, as well as the appearance of wounds and canker sores.
- Stress, depression and low defenses: episodes of stress and anxiety, as well as depression and sadness, cause lowering of defenses and, at that time, various microorganisms can take advantage of the situation and proliferate in our body causing infections and causing them to appear these lesions in the mouth. Thus, in reality, any situation or disease that makes us have low defenses can end up causing sores as well.
- Viruses: There are various viruses that can cause sores and even ulcers in the oral cavity. These wounds can be one of the first symptoms that we notice that a virus is affecting us.
- Blows and wounds: if we hit ourselves in the mouth, it is easy for the mucosa to be damaged when it hits the tooth and a sore forms. Similarly, orthodontic scrapes and bites will produce wounds that can develop into more complicated injuries such as canker sores and ulcers.
If you wonder how to remove mouth sores quickly, you will like to know that sodium bicarbonate is a powerful antiseptic and soothing and, therefore, it is one of the home remedies to cure canker sores, in children and adults, most used in all the world. To use it as a cure for this oral condition, you will have to mix half a glass of water with a tablespoon of baking soda , dilute it well and rinse it 2 or 3 times a day .
Another way is to make a paste with this product and a little water and apply it directly to the injury, leaving it to act for a couple of minutes before removing it and rinsing it well.
You will immediately notice relief and, little by little, you will see that the wound improves until it heals. You can use this home remedy as many days in a row as you need.
If you want to know another way on how to cure canker sores with home remedies, you will be interested in knowing the effect that salt can have. It may sound painful, since normally the salt when it comes into contact with a wound produces intense stinging. However, it is worth using a small amount and noticing an instant of stinging to take advantage of the antiseptic benefits that help treat and heal injuries in the mouth faster.
Mix well in half a glass of warm water a teaspoon of salt, if possible marine because it contains many more nutrients and benefits than normal. As soon as it is diluted, rinse your mouth, insisting on the area of the injury. Do it 3 times a day until you have the wound healed.
Another of the best home remedies to cure mouth sores is, without a doubt, hydrogen peroxide , as it calms pain, helps keep the mouth clean and reduces inflammation, causing them to heal more quickly. Dip a cotton swab in this product and apply it directly to the injury for a few seconds, several times a day, and you will see that you notice immediate relief and, in a short time, a great improvement.
If you prefer to make a rinse, you can do it by diluting a tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide in a glass of water and being careful not to swallow the mixture.
These foods contain acids and good bacteria that help regulate the pH of the mouth, facilitating the healing of wounds and sores and preventing infections. Among dairy foods , yogurt is the most recommended, since it is the most effective, but there are other good options such as milk of magnesia or milk kefir .
You can include these foods in your regular diet or you can apply them more directly to the injury with a cotton swab, as many times a day as you need.
Cold to relieve mouth sores
When the lesion in the mouth is inflamed, it produces a constant stinging sensation and it stings us a lot, it is advisable to apply cold. The low temperature will cause the blood vessels to contract, causing the area to deflate more quickly and this part to settle, making the pain not felt as much.
When applying cold to the mouth it is important to do it carefully so as not to worsen the injury or burn other parts of the mucosa. You can put a direct ice on for a few seconds and move it through your mouth or take an ice cream to apply it more easily.
You can do it several times a day but you should try not to overdo it, since to heal the wound you will need the blood supply to arrive well.
Foods with vitamin C to heal mouth sores
The foods rich in vitamin C help prevent and cure mouth sores. This is so because this vitamin helps us to increase our defenses , thus strengthening our immune system and making the body itself better able to avoid diseases and annoying symptoms such as sores, in addition to healing and recovering faster.
Some foods with vitamin C recommended to treat these oral lesions are:
- Red pepper
- Green peas
Medicinal plants to cure canker sores in the mouth
One of the best ways to cure canker sores is to use medicinal plants to use as natural rinses and as creams or gels to apply directly. These are the best medicinal plants to cure mouth sores :
- Salvia: this plant is a natural, relaxing antibiotic and helps regulate stomach flux and the acidity of saliva. Therefore, sage is a very good option to treat problems in the mouth such as sores. Make an infusion of 1 tablespoon of sage for each large glass of water and use it to rinse your mouth 2-3 times a day.
- Mallow: it is a plant with a great anti-inflammatory and soothing capacity that will quickly relieve the discomfort caused by canker sores. Make an infusion of its dried flowers and leaves. Bring the water to a boil and as soon as it starts to boil add a tablespoon of mallow , let it boil for 10 minutes and remove it from the heat, strain the infusion, cover it and let it rest for 5 minutes. Use this infusion to rinse your mouth, insisting on the canker sore area, twice a day.
- Aloe vera: this plant is soothing, antiseptic and very regenerative. Apply aloe vera or aloe vera gel directly on the lesions you have in your mouth several times a day, but at least 3 times.
- Tea tree oil : This oil has very powerful antibacterial and antiviral properties. The tree tea is usually too strong to apply directly, so we advise you to mix it with a softer oil like olive or almond, at the least 2 times a day.
How to prevent canker sores and when to go to the doctor
The best way to prevent canker sores and canker sores is to take good care of oral hygiene, brush your teeth properly, using rinses and floss, go to the dentist whenever necessary (go at least once a year for a complete check-up ), avoid excessive stress, eat healthy and abandon bad habits that irritate the mucous membranes of the mouth, such as smoking.
Likewise, it should be known that there are some cases in which you have to go to the doctor , since the most normal treatments and natural remedies are not enough and these wounds in the mouth can reappear frequently. Go to the doctor in the following cases:
- If you wear orthodontics, such as braces, which if they are incorrectly placed can cause wounds and canker sores in the mouth, especially on the inside of the cheeks. The dentist will have to check your mouth and appliances to better adapt them.
- If the sores or canker sores appear very frequently and you do not think there is an apparent reason, such as accidentally biting you, bumps, rubbing, orthodontics, etc.
- If the canker sores get worse or appear more.
- If there are more symptoms of health problems such as fever, cough, runny nose, etc.
- When the treatment is completely finished you have not noticed any improvement.
This article is merely informative, at FastlyHeal .com we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to How to cure canker sores with home remedies , we recommend that you enter our Teeth and mouth category .
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.