Mouth sores are an annoying condition that causes pain, tenderness, and even difficulty chewing food. When they occur very frequently and there is no apparent cause, for example, orthodontic treatment, it is essential to visit a doctor to determine what causes them and apply the most appropriate treatment. In the meantime, following some basic recommendations and using simple home remedies can help reduce pain and effectively heal canker sores. That is why at FastlyHealwe explains the keys to healing mouth sores and getting rid of these discomforts.
Why do mouth sores appear?
The mouth sores that usually occur on the inside of the lips, cheeks, or tongue are pretty common in orthodontics patients because the constant rubbing with the device greatly fosters the appearance of these lesions. However, outside of this scenario, there are several causes of mouth sores; among them, the following stand out:
- It is biting while eating or hurting yourself with a utensil, resulting in an injury that could turn into a thrush.
- A chipped tooth or a tighter denture that hurts the area.
- Eat many citrus foods, as the acid in these ingredients could promote lesions in areas prone to sores.
- Hormonal changes.
- Having a weakened immune system can cause this problem. People with autoimmune diseases or undergoing treatments that affect the defenses, such as chemotherapy, are prone to these oral lesions.
- Lack of nutrients such as vitamin B12 or folic acid and some gastrointestinal conditions such as Crohn’s disease or celiac disease can contribute to its appearance.
- In addition, suffering from great tension and stress can also increase the possibility of canker sores, as the immune system weakens in high-pressure situations.
Because many reasons can lead to the appearance of these lesions, it is recommended to visit a doctor if they frequently occur and without a clear cause.
Recommendations to heal sores
It is not enough to opt for some home remedies; if you want to cure the sores or promote their rapid healing, it is essential that you avoid everything that can increase discomfort and itching; that is why it is recommended:
- Do not eat scorching food or drinks.
- Avoid very spicy or spicy foods, as they can increase discomfort.
- Avoid citrus fruits, which can grow stinging.
- Eat soft foods that do not hurt you and avoid crunchy or crunchy foods that could cause more damage.
- Cold foods, such as ice cream can help alleviate discomfort. However, it is recommended not to opt for citrus flavors.
- Don’t chew tobacco and, if possible, even avoid smoking.
Canker sores usually disappear on their own between a week and ten days. However, the more careful we are, the sooner they will heal. In the case of orthodontics, wax is recommended to prevent the appliance from constantly rubbing against the injury.
Baking soda to heal sores
One of the best allies to prevent the formation of bacteria and reduce the inflammation of the sores is baking soda, which is also a cheap and straightforward alternative. You can apply it in two ways: directly to the area or as a mouthwash.
Make a paste with bicarbonate and a little water, and place a little of the paste on the affected area with a swab, leaving it to act for 5 minutes. Then rinse with cold water, and you can repeat it three times a day. You can also make a rinse with a glass of warm water and a teaspoon of bicarbonate, rinse your mouth well with this mixture, and leave on without rinsing with water. You can repeat it 3 times a day.
Hydrogen peroxide for canker sores
If you have a bottle of hydrogen peroxide on hand, you also have an ideal solution to heal sores. As you should already know, this product helps clean injuries and prevent possible bacterial infections, which is why it is very flattering in case of canker sores.
You have to mix two equal parts of hydrogen peroxide and plain water, then apply the mixture to the area with a cotton swab. Repeat three times a day until the injury begins to heal.
Salt to remove the sores
Like baking soda, salt is a powerful antiseptic that we all also have on hand at home, so it is one of the most commonly used solutions for this condition. The way to use it could not be more straightforward; you just have to add a teaspoon of salt to a preferably warm glass of water, stir and rinse your mouth with the mixture, passing it primarily through the area where the canker sore is.
You can repeat it three times a day until you notice an improvement.
Ice to relieve pain and burning
Ice will not help you properly heal the sores, but it will reduce the pain, and the inflammation will decrease noticeably, so you can apply an ice cube to the affected area for a few minutes or until it melts. Do it several times a day whenever you need relief.
Keys to preventing sores
Preventing canker sores is possible by following some simple daily recommendations that will help you ensure the health of your mouth. That’s why at FastlyHealwe suggest you:
- Chew your food slowly to avoid bite injuries.
- Do not ingest very hot food or beverages, as they can cause injury and discomfort.
- Eat a balanced diet that includes nutrients and vitamins. A poor diet can promote the appearance of sores and weaken our immune system.
- If you are prone to this condition, use a soft bristle brush to avoid hurting yourself.
- Improve the health of your immune system by eating a balanced diet, exercising frequently, and eating probiotic foods such as yogurt, kefir, pickles, or dark chocolate.
- If you have any discomfort with a tooth, prosthesis, or braces, do not hesitate to go immediately to the dentist.
This article is merely informative, at FastlyHeal .com we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Cure mouth sores , we recommend that you enter our Teeth and mouth category .
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.