Lately you feel like you have a headache and sleepy ? It is a very common feeling in people who are going through periods of stress or anxiety and who do not get a good night’s sleep. You have to know that the fact of not sleeping well is directly related to suffering from headaches because, at night, is when our body regenerates completely and, if it cannot do it, there are imbalances within us that make us suffer ailments such as headaches but also hypersensitivity, fatigue, and so on. In this FastlyHealarticle we are going to discover the causes and treatment of headaches and sleep so that you can remedy this situation as soon as possible.
Table of Contents
Why do I have a headache and sleepiness: most common causes
There are four main kinds of headaches that can interact with sleep . Some can occur exclusively at night and others, such as migraines, can be relieved by sleep. Also, morning headaches can suggest an underlying sleep disorder like sleep apnea.
- Migraines – This is a severe and often debilitating headache. It can cause visual changes, nausea, vomiting, and even numbness or weakness. Sleeping too little or too much can trigger a migraine. A sub-type, called a nocturnal migraine, occurs during REM sleep.
- Headaches : Headaches tend to affect men more and can occur many times in a short period of time. The headache can be very severe and can be localized around the eyes. They can occur mainly or exclusively at night.
- Hypnic headaches : It is a rare disorder. They usually occur in older people. They are moderately strong and occur almost exclusively during sleep. They tend to occur at the same time each night and can last anywhere from 30 minutes to two hours.
- Morning headaches : they usually occur upon waking, although they can also wake the person from their sleep. Fortunately, they are short-lived and often disappear when you wake up. Morning headaches are associated with sleep apnea, since between 36-58% of people who suffer from this problem always comment on these pains. In this other FastlyHealarticle we will discover why your head hurts when you wake up .
Headache and sleep treatment
If you have a headache and sleep, it is normal for you to wonder what is the best treatment to deal with this condition. The truth is that there is no other remedy than the most logical and rational: you need to rest.
Keep in mind that lack of sleep or insomnia produces headaches and, these pains, can condition that we do not sleep well, therefore, we find ourselves in a vicious circle that we have to break as soon as possible. From FastlyHealwe recommend that, first of all, you bet on getting a good night’s sleep because, in this way, you will be able to reduce headaches considerably.
To sleep better at night, we recommend that you follow these guidelines that will help you rest deeply:
- Avoid naps at noon to arrive at night feeling sleepy and tired
- Use the right mattress and pillow to be comfortable and to be able to get a really restful sleep
- Do sports to exercise your body so that it really needs to rest. It is highly recommended that, at least 30 minutes a day, you do some physical exercise to fatigue your muscles and make your body need a night’s rest to repair cells.
- Close the blinds to get a total sleep in the dark; darkness is important to create melanin and rest deeply.
- Do not watch TV or PC before sleeping because these devices activate our mind and nerves. The best thing is that you bet on relaxing activities such as stretching, reading, etc. In this other article we will discover some relaxation exercises for better sleep that you can do every night before going to bed.
- Food at night : there are some foods such as fats or sugars that do not allow you to rest properly because they are very heavy at night; however, there are others that are suitable because they manage to relax us and make us rest better. In this other article you will find the best foods to sleep well, among which we highlight almonds, chicken, fish, banana, honey or warm milk, among others.
Once you get to sleep 7 or 8 hours a day and all at once, you will notice how the headache will subside naturally.
This article is merely informative, at FastlyHeal .com we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Headache and Sleep: Causes and Treatment , we recommend that you enter our Brain and Nerves category .
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.