At certain times of the day due to overwork or stressful situations, anyone can be exposed to the feeling of heaviness in the head, either alone or accompanied by other symptoms. Everyone at some point in our life has had this feeling and in many cases it has been effectively overcome in a short time.
Heaviness in the head is an ailment that occurs very frequently and is sometimes not given due attention. This alteration may be accompanied by other symptoms such as discomfort in other parts of the body, for example in the eyes; In addition, the patient may have a headache or dizziness.
There are many factors that can give rise to the appearance of these symptoms, which can go unnoticed; sometimes it can be the warning that something is happening in our body. We invite you to read the following article by FastlyHealin which you will clear up any doubts about a feeling of heaviness in the head: What is it due to?
What is causing the feeling of heaviness in the head
There are multiple causes that give rise to the appearance of the feeling of heaviness in the head , among them are:
- Psychological problems : the causes of psychological origin are one of the most frequent: stress, anxiety disorders, depressive symptoms or even panic attacks are usually the main alterations that give rise to this alteration.
- Vision disorders : this can occur as a result of a long day in front of the computer, TV or when exposing the eyes to prolonged reading. All of these causes can trigger a feeling of heaviness in the head.
- The presence of premenstrual syndrome : the appearance of this syndrome in some women prior to the onset of menstruation can cause general discomfort, pain and heaviness in the head.
In addition, the feeling of heaviness in the head can also be a symptom of any of the following diseases:
- Arterial hypertension : this usually occurs in cases where there is an increase in blood pressure, you may feel a feeling of heaviness in the head, specifically in the part of the neck, which will disappear once the blood pressure has been controlled.
- Inflammation of the neck muscles : this can generate what is known as muscle tension, which if not treated in time can degenerate into a functional inability to carry out daily activities. Similarly, it tends to be indicative of injuries to the cervical or neck muscles.
- Respiratory problems : such as sinusitis or rhinitis . Both alterations produce heaviness in the head; sinusitis due to inflammation of the paranasal sinuses and rhinitis due to inflammation of the nasal mucosa. In addition to these diseases, flu disorders or a common cold can trigger this disorder.
- Bad habits : in this section we include the excessive consumption of alcohol, drugs, cigarettes, caffeine and even some foods that cause indigestion due to gastric intolerance, such as fats, red meat, among others.
- Sleep disorders : on many occasions, not complying with a minimum of 6 to 8 hours of sleep can cause nervous disorders, pain and heaviness in the head.
The presence of one of these factors or the confluence of all may be the warning of the presence of an alteration in the organism that must be treated in time by medical specialists in the field, in order to prevent it from degenerating into a real problem.
Symptoms of heaviness in the head
Beyond the heaviness in the head, there are a series of symptoms that are related and that can appear along with this sensation. The symptoms of this alteration can vary according to the cause that causes it, however, among the most frequent symptoms we find:
- General headache
- Feeling of tightness in the whole head.
- Eye discomfort ranging from heavy eyelids to tearing and blurred vision.
- Occasional nausea and vomiting.
Tips for treating heaviness in the head
There are very useful tools and tips to counteract the heaviness of the head , among which it is necessary to mention:
- Implement relaxation techniques: among which are yoga, meditation and breathing. All contribute to controlling or eliminating tensions. This is especially important when your discomfort is the result of stress or poor handling of emotions.
- Application of relaxing massages with essential oils or aromatherapy: these techniques allow the control and relaxation of the body through the application of these oils and aromas that stimulate the senses.
- Intake of an infusion based on chamomile: it has an anti-inflammatory effect, apart from being a sedative, it contributes to relaxation and sleep, especially if taken at night.
- Consume ginger infusion: it can help alleviate the symptoms that sometimes accompany the heaviness of the head such as nausea and vomiting due to gastric disturbances.
If you have already put into practice the advice we mentioned and do not present improvement, as we have explained before, it is important that you go to a doctor so that he can diagnose you and tell you what is the best treatment to follow. The doctor will be able to guide you on which specialist can take your case to find a satisfactory solution.
The specialists will request specialized studies that contribute to the precise diagnosis that is causing the heaviness in the head.
This article is merely informative, at FastlyHeal .com we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Feeling of heaviness in the head: Why is it? , we recommend that you enter our category of Brain and nerves .
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.