A headache is usually a symptom of some condition. It is not always a pathology, but it does have to do with some disorder of the body. It’s a red flag to pay attention to. In this way, the reason for the pain can be known and the indicated treatment applied.
“Why do I feel like my head is pounding” is a common question when we become aware of the pain we are feeling. The intensity, location, and rhythm of the headache can help identify the source. In this FastlyHealarticle, we explain the causes that can answer this question.
Table of Contents
Interpreting the headache
Headaches have many forms of manifesting themselves. Some feel like a twinge, others like throbbing or buzzing, but what they all agree on is the feeling of rumbling in the head.
- If the pain is stabbing . The most common headaches present as throbbing in the temple. This type of ailment is associated with situations of stress, anxiety or physical effort. Generally, in any of the above, the heart increases its blood pumping and can cause this pain.
- If you feel palpitations or throbbing. When the pain manifests as hammer blows to the head, more on one side than the other, it may be a migraine . Migraine is a headache of greater intensity, whose causes can be hormonal, breathing or digestive problems.
- When you feel pressure. If your head feels like a pressure cooker about to beep, it’s all about blood flow. It may well be due to physical exertion or hypertension, that the heart is pumping blood rapidly. This increases the flow to the head and causes pressure.
- If the pain is accompanied by other discomforts. For example, when there is a ringing in the ears or they feel clogged, it may be an infection in that organ. If the pain spreads into the eyes, there may be increased eye strain.
It is also advisable to pay attention to the symptoms that can be triggered during a headache. In the case of strokes , people may experience incoordination of their limbs, as well as numbness of the face, difficulty speaking, and disorientation.
Causes for head rumbling
- Stress. The number one cause of headaches is stress and anxiety. Usually after a long day at work, people experience a headache. Anguish also falls within this classification.
- Blood pressure. Hypertensive people consider a headache as an alert to measure their pressure. When the pressure increases, the person may feel hot in the head and the eyes and face may become red.
- Hormonal disorders. Symptoms associated with menstruation, pregnancy or menopause are often accompanied by headaches. In some cases, the headache usually warns that the period will appear soon.
- Breathing problems . The decrease or lack of oxygen in the brain causes headaches. This is why it is common to see people with panic or anxiety attacks suffer from migraines. To avoid discomfort, it is important to become aware of your breath on a daily basis.
- Dehydration A common cause of headaches is dehydration. You don’t have to be in the desert or in hot sun to get dehydrated. By not ingesting the necessary amount of water per day, the low potassium manifests itself as a headache.
- Complexities in the nervous system. This cause is mainly associated with cerebrovascular accidents, such as strokes or strokes. Also seizures of epilepsy and exploding head syndrome.
What to do if I feel like my head is pounding
To relieve a headache, you can use medical or home techniques. The decision will depend on the patient and their sensitivity to the medications. In situations where the headache is accompanied by other symptoms, such as vomiting or fever, you should see a doctor immediately.
- Headache pills. On the market, there are many samples of medications to relieve headaches. The most common are aspirin, however, not everyone can take them. Other reagents such as acetaminophen or ibuprofen can also improve discomfort.
- Cold water compresses. Because heat increases blood flow, placing natural or cold compresses on the temple is recommended. It can also be placed on the forehead or on the top of the head.
- Breathing exercises . When stress is believed to be the cause of headache, good breathing exercises relieve pain. The important thing is to take air through your nose and exhale little by little through your mouth.
- Rest. Sleeping or just closing your eyes is a good way to let go of a headache. Lack of sleep causes headaches, irritation and disorientation.
We have commented that the reason why the head is rumbling may be due to harmless causes, but also, we highlight the importance of a medical check-up in the face of the insistence or change of rhythm of the pain. We recommend consulting a specialist for a safe medical diagnosis.
This article is merely informative, at FastlyHeal .com we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Why do I feel my head is shaking , we recommend that you enter our Brain and Nerves category .
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.