It is something very common, in fact, it has happened to all of us, that at any time, being in any situation, we suddenly feel our eye throbbing or throbbing. This sensation can be occasional or long-lasting, and can also vary in intensity.
Usually this happens and does not imply seriousness or concern. What if it happens is that this is usually an annoying and uncomfortable situation. We mistakenly think that the rest see what happens to us, but in fact it is a situation that passes imperceptibly to others. Palpitations in the eye actually occur in the lower and upper meadows from involuntary muscle contractions, medically this sensation is known as twitching of the eyelid or eye spasms. There are many doubts around this topic, but at FastlyHealwe will clarify all your doubts, we will explain the causes of palpitations in the eye and we will also talk about what to do when they appear.
Table of Contents
Why do we feel palpitations in the eye?
Many of the causes are related to our lifestyle , something that undoubtedly completely affects our health:
- The first of these is fatigue caused by overwork, especially excessive exposure to screens, this includes computers, tablets and even smartphones that generate tension related to sight.
- On the other hand, the second cause of trembling in the eyelid is given by stress, nervousness, and anxiety .
Although those that we have just commented are the main ones, we must still add other causes that can intervene in the appearance of tremor in the eyes:
- Caffeine : high consumption of caffeine can cause the eye to have palpitations in a certain way, this is stimulating for the muscles and nerves.
- Smoking : related as a body stress factor.
- Eye dryness : Which in turn can cause irritation in the eye and this causes the eye to throb or tremble.
- Nutritional imbalances : lack of intake of some nutrients.
- Allergic reactions : to external agents such as dust or makeup.
In extremely rare cases, diseases of the eye may occur and this manifests itself with palpitations in the same:
- Tourette syndrome : which is nothing more than a neurological disorder related to stress and that manifests itself with repetitive tics.
- Peripheral facial paralysis : type of facial paralysis where damage to the facial nerve occurs in this paralysis there are tics, drooping of the eyelid or dry eye and in turn palpitations.
- Blepharitis : inflammation of the eyelids frequently associated with a bacterial eye infection or dry eye symptoms.
- Myochemy : a disorder that affects the orbicularis oculi muscle and generates visible contractions in the lower eyelid.
What to do in case of palpitations in the eye and how to prevent them
Although they are involuntary movements, there are several ways to improve palpitations if you feel uncomfortable or tend to last longer:
- Blink hard : this hydrates the eyes and stretches the muscles around it.
- Performs eye massage : increases circulation, stimulates and strengthens the muscles of the eye.
Although the ideal to improve palpitations in the eye is counteracting the causes . This is possible:
- Avoiding the consumption of caffeine or less reducing its intake.
- Adding other types of energy drinks to the daily diet.
- You should try to increase the hours of rest, at least 8 hours a day is recommended.
- In the event that the cause is due to dry eyes, it is recommended to go to a specialist who will indicate lubricating the eyes with special drops.
- Situations that generate stress should be avoided
- If we are constantly using tablet computers or smartphones, we must take periodic breaks in order to rest our eyes.
- Sports or other activities should be practiced to control anxiety.
When to see a doctor for an eye tremor
This situation tends to be alarming or worrying and reason enough to go to the ophthalmologist when the following complications occur:
- Red eye
- Palpitations that do not improve in a week.
- Eyelids that are completely closed and that makes it difficult to open.
- Palpitations accompanied by discharge from the eye.
- When in addition to palpitations an intense headache appears without any other cause.
- Palpitations in the eye with pain
There are many causes that generate palpitations in the eyes that can range from the simplest to the most complicated. Beyond what we explain in the article, if you feel concern or are alarmed by palpitations in the eye and cause you discomfort, you can visit your doctor to design an effective treatment for your case.
This article is merely informative, at FastlyHeal .com we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Causes of palpitations in the eye , we recommend that you enter our Eyes and vision category .
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.