There are many myths around visual health, and we have assumed that our eyes should get tired or fatigued from the use we make of them. Asthenopathy , also known as visual fatigue is a symptom that can have a variety of causes, when this occurs it is because the functioning of the sight is not correct and measures must be taken in this regard, however these symptoms do not cause the loss of vision. vision. At FastlyHealwe explain the causes and treatment for tired eyesight .
Causes of eyestrain
Some of the reasons why your eyes feel very tired may be the following:
- Accommodative effort : the ciliary muscle, which is located inside the eye, is constantly in activity and when we try to focus on objects that are nearby, this muscle exerts an overexertion, which mainly causes presbyopia , this accommodation process begins to not be enough and produces what is known as eyestrain, generally occurs between 40 and 45 years. On the other hand, we have the refractive defect, which is what commonly occurs in young people and manifests itself with blurred vision and headaches, in which the diagnosis will be myopia , hyperopia or astigmatism.
- Eye dryness : when we work for a long time in front of the computer or reading, events occur that go unnoticed, for example, we blink less frequently, which causes the normal work of the eye to be altered.
- Latent strabismus: strabismus means that the eye is crooked, in the case of latent strabismus there is a tendency for the eye to twist and the brain does the impossible to keep them aligned and this effort produces visual fatigue .
Apart from the visual fatigue that can occur due to these conditions, there are other symptoms that can occur such as redness and inflammation of the eyelids, a sensation of a foreign body in the eye, watery eyes, cervical contractures and sensitivity to light.
Treatment for tired eyesight
These visual discomforts can occur at any age, so it is important to visit the ophthalmologist to make the proper diagnosis and follow-up. In principle, the treatment for asthenopathy is the use of glasses or contact lenses, especially in the case of myopia or astigmatism, these will block the reflection of light and give a more comfortable vision. Depending on the severity, surgical treatment, as in the case of strabismus, may be suggested, but only if the traditional method is ineffective or if a late diagnosis has been made.
If you constantly feel tired eyes, we recommend visiting an ophthalmologist, since the symptoms of visual fatigue can vary in each person. Additionally we leave you some recommendations for the care of your visual health:
- These conditions worsen with poor lighting, it does not mean that the eye gets tired in the dark, but that with good lighting the pupil closes and produces an effect of depth and contrast on the object we are looking at, which will facilitate close focus.
- Give your eyes a 5 minute break for every hour you work at the computer.
- Put protection measures on your computer, such as screens or filters.
- Do the following eye exercise without glasses or contact lenses: make constant blinks for 5 or 7 minutes, leave your eyes closed when finished for a few more seconds.
- Use artificial tears to treat symptoms of dry eyes.
- Place the computer screen at least 50 centimeters and 12 cm below your eyes.
This article is merely informative, at FastlyHeal .com we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to I feel very tired my eyes: causes and treatments , we recommend that you enter our category of Eyes and vision .
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.