The sickness is the feeling that makes us believe we can pass out and usually used to describe two different symptoms: dizziness and vertigo. Vertigo, which many people confuse with dizziness, is that feeling that everything is spinning around us or that the world is spinning around us. Although both conditions can be similar and related, their causes can be totally different. In this article you can find out more about what vertigos are .
Most causes of dizziness are not serious and improve quickly with proper treatment. However, dizziness does represent a greater risk of suffering domestic accidents, falls or blows, so it is necessary to know how we can prevent them. For this reason, at FastlyHealwe have prepared this article on tips to prevent dizziness .
Table of Contents
Why dizziness happens
Dizziness often occurs because not enough blood flow is reaching the brain, leading to a lack of oxygen . This can happen when:
- Lower your blood pressure.
- The person is dehydrated due to severe vomiting, diarrhea, and fever.
- The person is older and has gotten up very quickly and abruptly from the bed or chair, which prevented the blood from reaching the brain in time to avoid dizziness.
It can also happen that due to a flu, an allergy, the common cold or hypoglycemia, the person experiences sudden dizziness. Dizziness can also be a symptom of some serious or serious illnesses, such as:
- Heart problems, such as problems with the rhythm of your heartbeat or heart attacks.
- Internal bleeding causing loss of oxygen.
- Sudden drop in tension or shock.
When dizziness is a sign of a serious condition, it is usually accompanied by a fast heartbeat, headache, chest pain, loss of speech or hoarseness , changes in vision. Dizziness is the most common symptom of low blood sugar, better known as hypoglycemia, a condition that is very common in diabetics and can pose a risk to your health if your blood sugar is not controlled in time. You can also experience dizziness due to cervical pain, muscle tension or problems with the labyrinth of the ear: labyrinthitis .
Motion sickness or motion sickness are those that are generated because we are on board a moving vehicle, ship or plane and are the result of the brain having received contradictory signals about whether we are moving or not. This type of dizziness can be accompanied by nausea, vomiting, vertigo, sweating, excess saliva, headache, shallow breathing, and drowsiness. These dizziness are totally associated with vertigo.
Tips to prevent sickness dizziness
When we suffer from a temporary condition that causes us dizziness not caused by movement, there are some tips that can help us so that our body does not compromise the blood flow in our brain and thus we do not lack oxygen in this important part of the body. Some tips to prevent dizziness are:
When dizziness occurs when we stand up
- Avoid sudden changes in body posture.
- When we are lying down and we want to stand up, the ideal is to get up slowly until we are sitting on the bed. After sitting at least a minute we can proceed to get out of bed calmly.
- When we stand up, it can be useful to help us with an object to support or support us.
- Sitting up and placing your head between your legs when you experience dizziness will help the blood get to your head faster.
- When dizziness is a sign of dehydration, it is important to drink plenty of fluids to hydrate the body and stop dizziness.
- When dizziness is caused by low blood sugar, it is necessary to offer the body a sweet food such as banana or banana, which due to its sugar and potassium content will help to improve discomfort. A chocolate bar or a glass of soda can also work.
- To avoid dizziness, when you feel it approaching, focus your eyes on a fixed point so you don’t feel the faint.
- Take breaths that allow you to oxygenate the body and promote calm, since sometimes dizziness is a symptom of anxiety.
- Wear flat shoes to prevent accidents caused by dizziness and remove any object from your home that you may collide with. Adapt your environment so you don’t hurt yourself.
- Caffeine, tobacco and alcohol negatively affect the circulation of the body. Decrease your intake to avoid dizziness.
- The ginger is an excellent natural remedy to prevent seasickness, can have a cup of ginger tea a day, take capsules of ginger supplements, eat ginger, ginger ale take candy or chewing gingers.
When dizziness is accompanied by vertigo
- At the time of discomfort, it is best to stay at rest until the dizziness passes.
- Do not make sudden changes in body positions.
- When joining activities, it is best to do it slowly.
- If there is loss of balance, a cane can be of great help.
- Television and bright lights such as cell phones can make vertigo symptoms worse, they are best avoided.
- It is necessary to avoid any activity that puts us at risk such as driving, playing sports, mastering machinery.
Tips for motion sickness or motion sickness: stare
This advice to prevent dizziness is very useful when we travel by car on the road . The trick is to stare at the horizon, as it is a stable element that will allow the brain to understand that we are moving and will synchronize the visual signals. On the contrary, if you focus on objects very close to your sight, the dizziness will be pronounced and you will feel worse. Avoid reading or doing any visual concentration tasks and if you are traveling by car, bus, boat or plane and you are prone to motion sickness.
Reduce movement and eat lightly
You can reduce the movement by sitting in the front of the car or plane or by choosing a cabin on the boat that is at water level to experience less intensity in the roll. Reducing the sensation of movement will lessen the confusion between the physical cues of movement and the visual cues that you are still. Also, another tip to prevent dizziness is to eat lightly during the trip and avoid heavy foods that are difficult to digest: eating dry cookies, hard candies and carbonated drinks help reduce stomach upset and reduce nausea.
Look for fresh air
Fresh air helps decrease nausea. Breathing outdoors or through the window will allow you to oxygenate the body and deliver more oxygen to the brain. If you are on a boat you can go to the deck and stay for at least half an hour getting fresh air. if you go in a bus or car you can open the window to breathe fresh air. The effect of the air on the face causes an almost immediate improvement.
To prevent dizziness it is also important to forget about them, do not worry about whether you will feel them, if you no longer feel them or if you are afraid that they will return. Listening to music, meditating, doing relaxation exercises and imagining a peaceful landscape can go a long way in clearing your mind and making you forget about dizziness.
Help yourself feel better
If you find that no advice to prevent motion sickness is helpful and you have tried eating ginger before each trip to reduce motion sickness, then it is time to visit a medical specialist. Many people are so sensitive to motion sickness that they cannot get off a boat or plane without vomiting, which undoubtedly interferes with enjoyment and makes a person have a pretty bad time.
Explain the symptoms that motion sickness causes you to your GP so that he or she may consider prescribing a pill to help keep the visual and physical relationship of movement in balance. This will allow you to forget about vertigo, nausea, vomiting and abdominal pain.
This article is merely informative, at FastlyHeal .com we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Tips to prevent dizziness , we recommend that you enter our Brain and Nerves category .
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.