Have you been doing any activity and got dizzy? Are you worried about what it can be about? It is normal to worry about why you suddenly get dizzy. This is a suggestive symptom, which can only be described by the sufferer. You must bear in mind that it is not always related to a serious health problem, however, it is an alert from the body about something that is happening.
At some point in life we have all experienced this feeling of imbalance and instability where we feel that things revolve around us. Being able to accurately determine the duration of dizziness and other symptoms allows determining the cause of origin. In this FastlyHealarticle we will explain why I suddenly get dizzy and when you should see a doctor.
Table of Contents
What is dizziness: symptoms
“I feel unstable”, “I have an empty head”, “I feel like I’m going to fall” or “I’m going to faint” are just some of the exclamations of people who have felt dizzy at some point in their life.
Dizziness is a suggestive symptom that can only be described by those who suffer from it, most agree that it is a feeling of imbalance and instability where things rotate or move around us and where the world of sight is lost.
This symptom is a frequent reason for consultation in the medical emergency area, since many fear that it is a serious health problem. In fact, it represents the third most frequent reason for consultation in the general population and the most important in the population over 75 years of age. 20% of the adult population report an episode of dizziness per month and in geriatric patients it is reported in up to 70% of the population 1 .
Being dizzy involves rather unspecific symptoms, so the first thing the doctor tries to determine is the exact description of this symptom in detail. Generally, dizziness is accompanied by some symptoms such as:
- False sensation of movements or turns.
- Feeling faint
Why Do I Get Dizzy Suddenly: Common Causes
The causes that are commonly related to dizziness are:
- Labyrinthitis : the dizziness that brings with it that uncomfortable feeling of instability and that can also be accompanied by nausea and buzzing normally occurs due to some alteration in the ear. This is triggered by jerking your head, turning in bed, and even looking to the side. In this case, the ENT specialist is the indicated specialist to assess and indicate the appropriate treatment, remember that treating the cause will eliminate the symptoms in their entirety.
- Visual disturbances : such as glaucoma , myopia or cataracts, are a common reason for suddenly and repeatedly dizziness.
- Dehydration : performing any physical exercise without proper fluid intake can manifest itself with dizziness, this will improve when properly ingesting fluid or water.
- Stroke : This condition also brings with it dizziness, loss of muscle strength on one side of the body, severe headache, or limited speech.
- Neurological diseases : any of them, such as Parkinson’s or Alzheimer’s, can lead to recurrent dizziness.
- Trauma : any blow to the head may manifest in the following minutes or days dizziness depending on the severity of the trauma.
- Alcohol and drugs : the consumption of this type of substances modifies the level of consciousness and, therefore, alters perception and brain function, presenting dizziness in some people.
- Medical treatment : the consumption of some medications can lead to the sensation of loss of balance, instability and / or dizziness as an adverse effect. This occurs with drugs such as diazepam, metoclopramide, phentoin, clonazepam.
Other causes related to the presence of dizziness
On the other hand, there are other possible causes for which dizziness may occur suddenly, such as:
- Anemia : high iron f brings with it low energy for the human being, in addition to pale skin and mucous membranes, fatigue and imminent dizziness can occur.
- Hypoglycemia : it is another condition related to dizziness, this implies low blood sugar, it is also accompanied by sweating and coldness.
- Hypotension : low blood pressure can be accompanied by dehydration, infectious problems and brings with it the manifestation of this symptom of instability.
- Migraine : this visual condition, in addition to generating an intense headache, can manifest itself with dizziness and photophobia, that is, the inability or discomfort to see the light.
- Anxiety . This is another case associated with the presence of dizziness, anxiety brings with it hyperventilation and therefore a deficit of cerebral oxygenation. This results in instability and imbalance.
Risk factors for motion sickness
This annoying symptom begins when getting up, walking, shaking the head and can last from a few minutes to days. Beyond the actions that can trigger it, there are some factors that increase the probability that dizziness appears:
- Age : The older you are, the more likely you are to have conditions related to dizziness.
- Ingestion of medications : there may be other associated diseases that involve taking some medications, these can bring with them certain adverse effects, one of them is dizziness.
- Previous episode of dizziness : another relevant factor in the onset of dizziness. If you have ever felt dizzy there is a greater probability that you will notice it again.
When should I go to the doctor for dizziness
As we have already seen throughout the article, there are different causes that can cause dizziness. Some of these of a certain severity, while others are totally transitory. Here we explain when you should go to the doctor for dizziness :
- If there is any blow or trauma to the head.
- If in addition to dizziness, headache, stiff neck and fever appear.
- If seizures appear.
- If there is chest pain.
- If there are heart palpitations.
- If difficulty breathing appears.
- If it starts weakness.
- Changes in speech
- Vision loss or difficulty.
- Difficulty moving on one side of the body.
- Fainting or loss of consciousness.
- If you feel dizzy for the first time.
- If there is hearing loss.
- If dizziness appears after taking any medication already indicated.
There are many causes that can be related to the presence of dizziness, it is important that you stay calm and go to the doctor, who should rule out any serious problem as soon as possible if it exists.
This article is merely informative, at FastlyHeal .com we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Why do I get dizzy all of a sudden , we recommend that you enter our Brain and Nerves category .
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.