A sore throat is a symptom of colds, pharyngitis, tonsillitis, or infectious diseases, such as mononucleosis. It can also appear from coming into contact with environmental pollutants, yelling, or sudden temperature changes. Generally, it is easy to treat, and symptoms like inflammation and pain disappear quickly. However, if the irritation occurs with fever, discharge, and sneezing for more than three days, it is necessary to visit a doctor.
In this FastlyHealarticle, we explain the causes and treatment for a sore throat.
Causes of sore and sore throat
The throat functions as a passageway for various substances, making it more vulnerable to infection and inflammation. Some of the causes of sore throat are:
- Flu and colds.
- Sudden temperature changes.
- Virus or bacterial infections.
- They are being exposed to toxic substances.
- Mononucleosis or kissing disease.
- Tonsillitis, pharyngitis, or laryngitis.
- I was yelling or talking for a long time.
- Breathe through the mouth as the throat directly contact microorganisms that can irritate.
- Dry throat
- Poor oral hygiene.
Symptoms of throat irritation
The irritation itself is already a symptom and occurs mainly during the winter; it may also be that when you wake up, your throat feels irritated due to the dry air that is generated at that time.
Other symptoms that can accompany throat irritation are:
- Swelling of the throat.
- Dry cough.
- Loss of voice
- Sore throat when swallowing.
- If it is due to tonsillitis, the irritation will be accompanied by a fever.
- If the irritation in the throat is due to pharyngitis, the sense of taste will be altered, and a headache and a sensation of something stuck in the throat will appear.
Treatment for sore throat
Often, a sore throat is caused by viral infections, so it will not respond to antibiotic treatment. The treatment for throat irritation will aim to reduce inflammation and anger; for this, the doctor will recommend an antiseptic solution to attack the microorganisms causing the throat irritation.
If the irritation is of bacterial origin, it should be treated with antibiotic drugs, but it should always be done under medical supervision. If you have other symptoms such as headache or fever, analgesic, and antipyretic medications are the most recommended in these cases. You must visit your doctor to identify the cause of the sore throat to treat it effectively.
Here are some simple tips that can help you relieve a sore throat:
- Drink hot beverages sweetened with honey, as this substance has soothing properties to soothe irritation.
- Eat soups and purees, so your throat doesn’t hurt when you swallow.
- Avoid cold liquids if you have a cold.
- Gargle with 1 cup of warm water and salt several times a day.
- Avoid breathing through your mouth.
- Avoid drinking milk; it increases mucus and irritation.
- If you have hoarseness, apply a warm compress to the front of your throat for 15 minutes. Do it as many times as necessary.
Home remedies for sore throat
Infusion of honey with lemon
An excellent natural remedy to eliminate scratchy throat sensation, combat irritation, and prevent infections thanks to the vitamin C contained in lemon. It also helps eliminate coughs and soften the area because honey is an excellent natural moisturizer.
- Add two tablespoons of honey to 1 cup of hot water.
- Add one teaspoon of freshly squeezed lemon juice.
- Stir the mixture.
- Take the infusion in small sips.
Thyme is a plant with powerful antiseptic properties, making it ideal for reducing sore throats and preventing infections caused by bacteria.
- Add one tablespoon of dried thyme leaves to 1 cup of boiling water.
- Strain the liquid obtained.
- When it cools down a bit, gargle with the infusion.
- If you want to take it as an infusion, you can add a little lemon juice.
This is one of the best home remedies for throat irritation that you can take, as ginger is anti-inflammatory and acts as an excellent natural antibiotic and is an expectorant and can help eliminate accumulated phlegm in case of presence of the same.
- Cut two thin slices of ginger and add them to a saucepan with water.
- Boil for 10-15 minutes.
- Add a little lemon juice and honey to enhance the flavor.
- Drink 2 cups a day to notice the improvement.
You can see another effective recipe in the article Ginger tea for the throat: benefits and how to do it.
A gargle of sage and salt
Sage is a plant with anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties and is used as a gargle, and is excellent for treating conditions such as pharyngitis, tonsillitis, etc.
- In a glass of boiling water, add two tablespoons of dried sage.
- Let it infuse for about 10 minutes.
- Then, strain the liquid obtained.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon of salt and stir.
- Use the gargle preparation about twice a day.
Discover in the following FastlyHealarticle more tricks to heal a sore throat.
Prevent throat irritation
On many occasions, throat irritation can be prevented, so we give you some measures that you should take into account to avoid the appearance of this symptom:
- Avoid yelling.
- Wrap up well.
- Avoid sudden temperature changes.
- Try to have good oral hygiene.
- If allergies irritate, avoid contact with the allergen.
- Increase the consumption of vitamin C in your diet through foods such as oranges, strawberries, lemon, tangerine, and kiwi.
- Keep the rooms ventilated.
- Avoid smoking.
This article is merely informative, at FastlyHeal .com we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Sore Throat: Causes and Treatment , we recommend that you enter our Ear, Nose and Throat category .
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.