Having unprotected sex can bring up specific fears, especially if you don’t want to get pregnant yet. There are also many myths and facts about the ideal time to have unprotected sex and not get pregnant.
” Can I get pregnant if I had sex the day before my period? ” Many women ask themselves this question, and it is that everything can be possible as long as you do not take care of yourself and take the appropriate precautions to avoid pregnancy; in FastlyHealwe, clarify all the doubts you have about this issue and if there is also the possibility of getting pregnant by having intercourse just before menstruation.
Table of Contents
When am I most at risk of getting pregnant?
Without a doubt, the most significant risk of getting pregnant, regardless of the period, is going to be when you have unprotected sex; sometimes, it is difficult to know precisely when there is a greater risk of getting pregnant and when it is unlikely unless you know your period with accuracy, this allows you to see when you are ovulating and when you are not.
Once you know exactly how long your menstrual cycle lasts, calculate 14 days before the next menstruation, representing the day of ovulation. With this, a range of 3 days before and two days after the ovulation day is established, taking into account the time in which both sperm and ovum can survive in the uterus. That would be when you have the most significant risk of remaining pregnant.
This fertility period can only be calculated when the woman has regular menstruation.
Can I get pregnant if I have had intercourse the day before my period?
This section has already answered your question about “can I get pregnant if I had intercourse the day before my period?”. If the menstrual period is regular, the possibility of getting pregnant by having intercourse one day before menstruation is minimal, hence the importance of knowing precisely the regularity of the menstrual cycle.
Associated with this, it is essential to know that if the arrival of menstruation is already expected the next day, it is most likely that the fertile ovum to be fertilized no longer exists (non-fertilized ovum); in fact, it must already be preparing to be eliminated with the menstruation, which also removes endometrial tissue from the mucosa (inner layer) of the uterus that grows for about a month (the menstrual cycle) and is shed once there is no pregnancy.
Although having sexual intercourse one day before menstruation reduces the probability of getting pregnant, this is not a guarantee to avoiding pregnancy; it is said that there is the possibility of 1 pregnancy for every 100 that occurs in this way, which is infrequent but probably in a minimum percentage, everything will depend on the menstrual cycles especially those that are irregular, that is, or very short not very long.
When is it possible to get pregnant if I had sex the day before my period?
Common reasons for this almost negligible probability of happening consist of:
- The existence of an irregular menstrual cycle: ovulation occurs long after the expected 14 days, as it should happen in the regular menstrual cycle in a usual way.
- In addition to this reason, it is associated that there may be cases where ovulation can be multiple, being developed in the follicular phase and expelled each at different times of the menstrual cycle.
How do I know when I am ovulating?
Apart from knowing the menstrual cycle, a woman’s body is so perfect that once ovulation occurs or is about to arrive, there are specific characteristics that must be taken into account to avoid having unprotected sex and, in this way, avoid an unwanted pregnancy:
- The first of the signs that reflect the ovulation process is the emission of elastic, sticky, and delicate cervical mucus, which occasions can be evidenced in underwear.
- A second sign is that it is associated with an increase in smell sensitivity, preparing this stage to be attracted by male pheromones.
- On the other hand, there is likely to be an increase in breast tenderness.
- Likewise, mild abdominal pain is associated, which generally happens by alternating one side of the other monthly.
- Intermenstrual bleeding can occur, but it is nothing more than a type of spot that happens during ovulation. The color can vary from red to dark brown. However, it did not represent a sign of concern.
- There may even be alterations in libido. In this case, the woman tends to increase sexual desire during the ovulation stage, representing a natural way for the species to last.
To avoid any doubt about ovulation and the menstrual cycle once the first menstruation occurs, that is, menarche in adolescence, it is essential to visit the gynecologist to be able to educate from the early stages what is the appropriate way to know the regularity of the menstrual cycle, being possible for the future to be able to have adequate knowledge about family planning. In addition to this, it is essential once sexual intercourse begins to comply with the proper use of contraceptives to avoid an unwanted pregnancy.
This article is merely informative, at FastlyHeal .com we do not have the power to prescribe medical treatments or make any diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Can, I get pregnant if I had sex the day before my period? We recommend that you enter our Pregnancy and baby health category.
I am a Surgeon with a diploma in comprehensive ultrasound and surgical care residency, an area I am specializing in. During the exercise of my profession, I have realized the need for patients to know the diseases they suffer, and I can tell you that a large part of their complications is due to a lack of information. Being a health web writer allows me to transmit my experience, without borders, to all those readers eager for knowledge, educate them in the prevention of diseases and promote a healthy lifestyle.